JakeHolman

Carol Lynley, ‘The Poseidon Adventure’ Star, Dies at 77

86 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, The Keeper said:

Years back, I gifted my sister-in-law a Traveling Wilbury's LP. Yes, vinyl. Well, Roy Orbison died 2 days after my birthday gift

My college roommate saw the video for "Handle with Care" and declared, "Oh my God, Roy Orbison looks like he could die any second", and I was like, "Dude! Why would you say that? He's okay!". And then like two days later, Orbison died. So, what do I know? Sadly, since then, we've also lost Harrison and Petty, so Dylan and Lynne are the only living members.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

My college roommate saw the video for "Handle with Care" and declared, "Oh my God, Roy Orbison looks like he could die any second", and I was like, "Dude! Why would you say that? He's okay!". And then like two days later, Orbison died. So, what do I know? Sadly, since then, we've also lost Harrison and Petty, so Dylan and Lynne are the only living members.

Whenever anyone compiles those "oldest living stars" type lists, I always feel like they jinx the top members of the list.  I also feel like my going on vacation causes prominent people to die.  People whom I distinctly remember hearing about their death while on vacation: Gale Gordon, Burt Lancaster, Joan Rivers, Burt Reynolds, Katharine Hepburn, Bob Hope, George Carlin, and Rue McClanahan. Watch out celebs! I'm going on a 3-day trip to the Pearl in Portland on Monday. 

Too bad your roommate jinxed Roy Orbison.  I liked him. Though I always thought he was blind. Then I found out that he wasn't.  His "A Black and White Night" concert is fantastic.  My husband, who primarily likes metal, grunge, and hard rock, loves Roy Orbison. He also loves The Temptations.  But anyway, i bought a Roy Orbison greatest hits vinyl for my record player.  However, the record did not have "Ooby D o o b y," my husband's favorite Orbison song.  I had to purchase a second Orbison album to make sure that "Ooby D o o b y" was at our disposal. Lol. Personally, while I like "Ooby D o o b y," I love "You Got It" and "In Dreams." 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 1:07 AM, TopBilled said:

I enjoyed her performances in these films:

BLUE DENIM (1959)
RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE (1961)
UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE (1963)
THE SMUGGLERS (1968)

And she's excellent in a 1968 episode of The Big Valley playing Lee Majors' love interest.

Agreed, Top Billed!

A very lovely lady who was always appealing in her roles. I particularly remember Carol in an AHP episode about a lost statue and a convent. I think it also starred Clu Gulager and there's a name one doesn't hear of much now. Carol played a novice who gets involved in a world unknown to her, a bit like the young nun in Bunuel's "Viridiana".

I recall seeing Carol discussing once that she was always being put on a diet, after her early child modeling years, to maintain a slim figure. She was quite beautiful and belongs in the group of ethereal blondes that also included Yvette Mimieux and Inger Stevens in my opinion. A bit lost, a bit sad, a bit mysterious...

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Agreed, Top Billed!

A very lovely lady who was always appealing in her roles. I particularly remember Carol in an AHP episode about a lost statue and a convent. I think it also starred Clu Gulager and there's a name one doesn't hear of much now. Carol played a novice who gets involved in a world unknown to her, a bit like the young nun in Bunuel's "Viridiana".

I recall seeing Carol discussing once that she was always being put on a diet, after her early child modeling years, to maintain a slim figure. She was quite beautiful and belongs in the group of ethereal blondes that also included Yvette Mimieux and Inger Stevens in my opinion. A bit lost, a bit sad, a bit mysterious...

you could tell she watched her weight by how curvaceous she looked in wet clothes in the Poseidon adventure.

:)

Image result for carol lynley the poseidon adventure

Image result for carol lynley the poseidon adventure

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Agreed, Top Billed!

Yes, I'm glad you mentioned the fact Carol Lynley had been a model in her early years. Though she would become more known for her method acting.

Always very good, very watchable even in total junk like Tales of the Unexpected, a crummy British anthology series hosted by Roald Dahl.

• Like 1

Carol . wasn't bad in THE CARDINAL, where she played a dual role as Tom Tryon's sister and niece.

To Speedracer and others.    Here is  an Orbison song that hardly anybody knows.  It is LEAH, quite a beautiful song.

• Like 2

Just watcher her on an Alfred Hitchcock Presents last night called - The Young One (1957) it was only her third credit, she was only 15.