Finished up the original part of the movie series last night. So to rank them:
1. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country¬†ūüĎćūüĎć
2.¬†Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn¬†ūüĎćūüĎć
3.¬†Star Trek: The Motion Picture¬†ūüĎćūüĎć
4.¬†Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home¬†ūüĎćūüĎć
5. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock¬†ūüĎć
6. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Borderline between one thumb up or one down

Thumbs down on the lousy SFX's.

For the plot, at the center of the galaxy....

551px-Artist%E2%80%99s_impression_of_S2_

That sort of killed it, didn't it?

I do not remember which movie this represents but I feel it is better than the other movies which were mentioned.

kOKBKgF.jpg

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't know that I've ever seen someone cite part 6 as their favorite. It's usually part 2, and the occasional person says part 4 (the Trek movie for people who don't normally like Trek or science fiction in general), and a rare few who say the first one was their favorite.

The best of the series for me was Wrath of Khan, while Nemesis is the worst, although Star Trek Beyond and The Final Frontier are very close behind.

It was tight between II and VI, but I ultimately went for the latter for one little reason: II was done on a strict budget which unfortunately made it look a bit cheap at some points, which is more that a bit sad because the others looked quite lavish. II does indeed have the best villain (I'd agree with one of the series stars who said that Ricardo Moltaban should have been up for an Oscar) though. VI took me by surprise. Nobody really mentioned what a poignant last voyage it was, nor that the villainous quartet is quite impressive. Emotion-wise and excitement wise, it really hits the heights.

• Like 1

shatner would not be too old to play kirk on an audioplay disc but I think paramount would be too scared sheetless to give shatner permission to do even that.

they killed star trek and they know it.

he's still the heart and guts of STAR TREK

Image result for shatner kirk

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

It was tight between II and VI, but I ultimately went for the latter for one little reason: II was done on a strict budget which unfortunately made it look a bit cheap at some points, which is more that a bit sad because the others looked quite lavish. II does indeed have the best villain (I'd agree with one of the series stars who said that Ricardo Moltaban should have been up for an Oscar) though. VI took me by surprise. Nobody really mentioned what a poignant last voyage it was, nor that the villainous quartet is quite impressive. Emotion-wise and excitement wise, it really hits the heights.

II, IV and VI--the legendary "Even-numbered Treks"--all had the same ingredient, writer and/or director Nicholas ("Time After Time") Meyer.  And Meyer's the reason you can show an Even-Numbered Trek to a non-fan and get them hooked on the Original series...That's what a good TV-series movie should do.  B) 

Paramount wanted Meyer to come back and finish the TNG movies on a high note with Nemesis, but Meyer wanted to rewrite the entire script, so the studio (contractually obligated to the original writer) went for a first-time director instead, and...oyyy:  http://www.warpedfactor.com/2015/10/10-things-you-might-not-know-about-star.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

shatner would not be too old to play kirk on an audioplay disc but I think paramount would be too scared sheetless to give shatner permission to do even that.

Boy, gotta say Nip, you sure are taken with guys with enormous egos, aren't ya!

(...uh-huh, Shatner here, AND that OTHER dude presently sittin' his fat butt in the...well, 
YOU know where) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

both paramount and Roddenberry tried to reinvent star trek without a strong lead character and it didn't work!

and a strong lead character was a part of Roddenberry's original vision for star trek.

captain horatio hornblower in outer space.

(I read The Making of Star Trek)

Image result for the making of star trek book

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

both paramount and Roddenberry tried to reinvent star trek without a strong lead character and it didn't work!

and a strong lead character was a part of Roddenberry's original vision for star trek.

captain horatio hornblower in outer space.

(I read The Making of Star Trek)

Image result for the making of star trek book

Any of these photos in it?

l3XMD-1457553915-embed-startrek_bts2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSijLBMy4tQdSn2r_R3Nnu

KfJC9-1457554424-embed-startrek_set_ente

HOkId-1457553988-embed-startrek_bts7.jpg

ncc-1701.jpg

On 9/8/2019 at 5:29 PM, hamradio said:

Uh what info is there to steal if none is to be had?

I've learned back during the Windows 98 era that viruses / malware are OP specific. I had the so called "unremovable" (anti virus software couldn't delete them - only quarantine) i.e. Speedy.bat,  Natal.pif,  etc.

Rebooting system under DOS only C: prompt rendered then inactive. Couldn't work under DOS / Win 3.1 environment.  Deleting was a piece of cake. 

Never had any attacks with this computer since purchasing it some time back. Guess using the firewall and breaking broadband connection when not on the internet helped as well. :unsure:

Here's another part of the equation.  Less technical or less alert computer users falling for scams.  This call just came in on the answering machine, in the past few days. 
(this is an mp3 audio file - I cut out the last part of the phone # so no one here actually falls for it)
http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Microsoft-Windows-license-expiring-phone-message.mp3

Now I see what my dad was asking me about - he had received a call like this several times.  (I had to chuckle a bit, as neither of us still use Windows to surf the net at either of our places)  :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, hamradio said:

Any of these photos in it?

l3XMD-1457553915-embed-startrek_bts2.jpg

I haven't had my paperback for decades but I'd say the top black & white photo was.

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Here's another part of the equation.  Less technical or less alert computer users falling for scams.  This call just came in on the answering machine, in the past few days. 
(this is an mp3 audio file - I cut out the last part of the phone # so no one here actually falls for it)
http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Microsoft-Windows-license-expiring-phone-message.mp3

Now I see what my dad was asking me about - he had received a call like this several times.  (I had to chuckle a bit, as neither of us still use Windows to surf the net at either of our places)  :rolleyes:

That definitely is a scam! The OP system does not expire but you do have only about 2 activations with Win 7 but I don't know about higher  versions. Discovered something recently, the Windows XP Home Edition didn't require activation which surprised me.  Had to use it on this machine, for some strange reason the Professional version won't install, keep getting an "Out of memery" (OM error).  Every computer does have some type of software quirk. Roxio Burner malfunctions! :angry:  Fortunately found Deep Burner which works perfectly.

Exception - Anti-virus software does expire, a real pain! :angry:

I get phone calls all the time from "Apple tech support" telling me that there are problems with my Apple computer. The callers, speaking from a call center based on the background noise, always have names like "Tom", "Bill" or "Mary", yet they sound as if they just started speaking English yesterday. These calls are especially amusing since I not only do not have an Apple computer or other device, but I've never owned an Apple product.

Of course these calls fall in line with the "IRS" calls, the "warranty department" calls, the "credit card services" (no actual company name) calls, and the latest, calls from "Windows rebate department", informing me that my Windows anti-virus protection has been discontinued and that I am owed a rebate, so just give them some info for the transaction to be complete...:lol:

I have a landline, and I get literally 25-30 calls a week like this, for the past 5 or so years.

Right now there isn't much of anything as far as messages coming in.  Mostly calls where they didn't leave a message.  Maybe one or two a day where they actually leave a message.  But I can't remember the last time I got a PC/computer-related scam call.  Those seem to be rare for me.  I don't think I ever got one for Apple/Mac.  I haven't owned one, but have used loaners for testing/validation of software.

Now I remember - There was a period a while back where my dad was telling me he kept getting calls that his Windows Antivirus was expired and needed to be renewed.  I already had him up and running at that point with Linux Mint for a couple years, and no antivirus is needed for that, for an end user.

[A couple of the major Windows antivirus companies tried, but withdrew their products from the market years ago.  Though there actually is a Linux antivirus, ClamAV, it is free and is generally only used for public servers or computers where Windows users will be exchanging files.  It is more of a good citizen thing to keep from propagating other peoples' Windows viruses, rather than to protect the Linux machine.  But yeah, I don't miss that part. ]

P.S. I still have a 32 bit Windows XP Pro running on a HP DC7900 USDT with an Intel E8400 3GHz processor (had to go look that up just now).  That is used as a stand-alone computer for a specific piece of Windows software.  Never had that issue with XP Pro not wanting to load, but have always used business-specific computers off-lease for my personal stuff, so maybe that is your issue.

I plan on spending less time here, since nothing will be done about all this Twitter nonsense. Right or wrong, it is very annoying.

I don't plan on purchasing anything else with Windows on it. Linux and I don't get along. I'd rather have an old Mac, which I do, to do the things my tablet can't.

As long as I don't say bad things about Apple, or good things about Microsoft, which I use to do, I can return to Apple related forums.

I don't expect Apple forums to be as much fun as this one overall, but I have numerous iPad related questions.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:24 PM, NipkowDisc said:

Not that I've seen any of the other films yet, but I know I'd miss Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, Koenig, Nichols, and Takai as well. Whetever differences were offscreen, they made a great onscreen team.

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Not that I've seen any of the other films yet, but I know I'd miss Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, Koenig, Nichols, and Takai as well. Whetever differences were offscreen, they made a great onscreen team.

The later films work better if you don't try to compare them with the original cast films, as they're too different in style and temperament. If you're familiar with the characters from The Next Generation series, and have watched a lot of the episodes, then the later films are enjoyable to varying degrees. First Contact is one of the best films of the series, even though it's not without its faults. Insurrection feels like a feature-length episode of TNG. Generations is pretty bad, though, and the fate of Kirk is handled very poorly, in my opinion. And Nemesis is just a complete misfire. 

As for the New Trek, J.J. Abrams-era films, I'm not a fan, but I seem to be in the minority in that.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The later films work better if you don't try to compare them with the original cast films, as they're too different in style and temperament. If you're familiar with the characters from The Next Generation series, and have watched a lot of the episodes, then the later films are enjoyable to varying degrees. First Contact is one of the best films of the series, even though it's not without its faults. Insurrection feels like a feature-length episode of TNG. Generations is pretty bad, though, and the fate of Kirk is handled very poorly, in my opinion. And Nemesis is just a complete misfire. 

As for the New Trek, J.J. Abrams-era films, I'm not a fan, but I seem to be in the minority in that.

I just took the liberty of downloading First Contact from Amazon Prime.... Thank you for this.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Kirk in "Generations"  had a one liner (one of the best) that humorously showed his age.

Talking to Picard...I've been saving the galaxy since your grandfather was in diapers.

:lol:

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I just took the liberty of downloading First Contact from Amazon Prime.... Thank you for this.

First Contact is just about as good as it gets for the TNG movies.  (And directed by Jonathan Frakes, aka Cmdr. Ryker, who has as good an instinct for the New series as Nicholas Meyer had for the Classic one.)

Insurrection, OTOH, was a mess of several different story drafts, which ended up in pieces, but none in their complete form.  Even the title refers to a draft from three scripts before.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Any goodwill the first JJ Abrams film generated was quickly dispelled by Into Darkness's continuing quest to homage every single last remaining geek-fan Wrath of Khan reference that JJ hadn't used up yet in the first film.  Okay, JJ, we get it.

Which meant that Beyond had to follow as the JJ-era "Search for Spock", with the characters running around stranded on the planet surface for no real apparent reason, fighting a generic villain whose name and grudge we'd forgotten by now.  Guess this means we're due for the Whale movie in the next one.

• Haha 1

I think Generations was a paramount plot to kick shatner permanently out of star trek.

they got what they wanted but crippled and eventually killed star trek in the process.

they coulda given star trek a great shot in the arm twenty years ago by devoting and entire film to the resurrection of kirk but were too stupid to do even that.

many have tried but there still remains only one top dog in the starship commanding field...

this one!

Image result for t'pring amok time

51 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I think Generations was a paramount plot to kick shatner permanently out of star trek.

they got what they wanted but crippled and eventually killed star trek in the process.

they coulda given star trek a great shot in the arm twenty years ago by devoting and entire film to the resurrection of kirk but were too stupid to do even that.

many have tried but there still remains only one top dog in the starship commanding field...

this one!

Image result for t'pring amok time

And wind up like a 137 year old Bones McCoy?

bones-star-trek-tng.jpg

• Haha 1