spence

On that note what are your favorite Spencer Tracy films?

30 posts in this topic

(*-always denotes an Oscar victor) (AMPAS)   Given the incredibally kind thing you folks did-(LET ME KNOW EXACTLY WHO THOUGH, PLEASE?)

What are your top 5 or more personal favorite motion pictures of *The Great: Spencer Tracy (l900-l967)  & who has ever visited Glendale's huge Forest Lawn, where he chose very tp 318 acres & Errol Flynn-(l909-59) is closest star to his lg garden grave-(sad story  about Errol though in death)  Cyndi Tacy & I became great friends-(his snotty grandson's then wife Joe Tracy(l955-) is the main reason UCLA stopped a *S. Tacy award  *M. freeman-(l937-)was he last recipient & 13th td,  Then he even destroyed the in progress idea of him getting  his own postal stamp  Ever check them al out online, all there except *Tracy, so the govt chucke'd the lot as the British would say. They had 2 prototypes of Boys Town& Edward, My Son& Joe butted  in,etc  I have about a dozen on my own Walls-of-Fame. too expensive now, Cyndi even got me in free at Reel Cowboys.org(nice website but they moved after John Tracy died in 2007 they lived I Acton, Calif)   Plus, for those in Calif besides Glendale have youever gone pastthe house he &His *Kate shared &where he diedin the kitchen June 10th, 1967  9191 St. Ives drive in B. Hills, lots of foliage covers the fairly small house she used to grow it deliberately so the press couldn't shoot them *Cukor was a neighbor

(NOTE: To editing team the words are being eating agan today at least from this end?)

So what are your favs of what about 75%to 80% of fellow perfomers call Hollywoods All-Time Greatest?

Essential *Tracy out of 74 films>

1st Captains Courageous (l937 Metro Goldwyn Mayer) (His first of 2nd consecutive Best Actor Oscar wins was then actually considered an upset, most pundits predicted *Muni-(wonNYFCC) to be the one to win back to back statuettes instead for *Zola)

2nd Bad Day at Black Rock (l955 M-G-M) (NIE: Strangely when Robert Wagner (RJ)-(l930-) was a Guest Programmer he chose this 1 of his idols, but in the past said others were his favs of his HERO & with Burt Reynolds as a GP, he snubbed any of his ultimate HEROES roles? Still think it was him orWgner that called n anonymously for that bust/sculpture *Kate made for $316,000 at Sotheby's  I had photo enlarged of it &laminate years ago joining other jazz of movie memorabelia  AKA Walls-of-Fame)

3rd Inherit the Wind (l960 UA) (Actually shot at Universal inBurbank) (one of the greatest performances I have ever seen!)

4. Father of the Bride (l950 MGM) (only he & Cary Grant could bounce back and 4th so easily during that glorious era)

5th fav of mine  Adam's Rib (l950 M-G-M) (I always strongly felt *Judy Holliday deserved the s. actress gold for this & not for Born Yesterday (lead)  & who agrees 1952's M-G-M Pat & Mike was almost it's equal?

& a vote here for another pal Mr. Simon Cherpitel-(check out his huge movie site) he prefers the older *Tracy & Judgment at Nuremberg (l96l-UA) is his vote as his finest hour

Always wondered why *John Ford-(l894-l973)  as many know discovered the actor on stage 4 consecutive nights he went to see him in The Last Mile & why they didn't cast him in the 1930 production, P. Foster hardly fills his shoes?.

(TRIVIA: To compare what the heavyweights got $paid$ then VS now, his biggest payday was $270,000 for his biggest hit too Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (released posthumously)

THANKS AS WELL TO EDITING TEAM, YOU SEEMED TO HAVE FIXED THAT DILEMMA

Sure, the usual suspects:

ADAM'S RIB

FATHER OF THE BRIDE

INHERIT THE WIND

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER

FURY

LIBELED LADY

PAT and MIKE

THE DEVIL AT 4 O'CLOCK

But let's save time and just figure his entire filmography.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Spence, the Avatar looks great!

I like anything that Spencer Tracy is in.

But my all-time favorites are:

Father of the Bride

Father's Little Dividend

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Adam's Rib

Broken Lance

Boom Town

San Francisco

Fury

Woman of the Year

Inherit the Wind

I'm looking at all these titles,  his diversity is unbelievable.

But Spencer Tracy never gave a bad performance.

And I would also give a heads up to his directors:

Vincente Minnelli

George Cukor

Stanley Kramer

and Katharine Hepburn

• Like 1

My 10 favorite Spencer Tracy films are:

20,000 Years in Sing Sing, Fury,   Libeled Lady,  Test Pilot, Northwest Passage,  State of the Union,  Pat and Mike,  Bad Day at Bad Rock, The Last Hurrah, and Inherit the Wind.

• Like 1

Spence,

I'm glad you were able to figure out your avatar.

I'm not the biggest fan of Spencer Tracy, I don't dislike him though.  He has an acting style that is a little different from the actors whom I regularly make a point of watching.  Tracy usually just happens to be in a movie that I'm interested in, rather than my watching it because Spencer Tracy is in it.  

But of the Spencer Tracy movies I've watched, I've enjoyed:

Libeled Lady

Father of the Bride

Desk Set

Woman of the Year

*I like his pairing with Katharine Hepburn. Desk Set is my personal favorite of all of the films Tracy and Hepburn made together. 

I did not care for Tracy as Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde.  I thought his performance was too hammy, over the top.  I thought that Fredric March's interpretation was much better. 

I did like Tracy's big speech in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? I thought it was very profound, very powerful--especially coupled with Katharine Hepburn's very genuine emotions showing in the scene. 

I do want to see Bad Day at Black Rock however, because I've been on a bit of a Robert Ryan kick lately (when I'm not obsessed with watching Dylan McKay, which seems to be my life now). 

tcm oughta show Broken Lance more often. a good story with spence a rancher with two sons one of um a half-breed.

good acting from Richard Widmark and Robert Wagner as the two sons.

,He loathed locations-(as did *Sinatra) & the press  Matter of fact there is not 1 regular interview available, only briefly in print. & the main pix he missed out on were>The Yearling-(started in 1941 & with entirely different cast and crew), Tribute to a Bad Man (l956 MGM & where Metro finally fired him after 21yrs pal *Cagney took it over), Cheyenne Autumn (l964), The Cincinnati Kid (l965) of course as The Man, Edward G. later took it over of course, but Sam Peckinpah started it in B &W & even Sharon Tate was on hand. Ship of Fools ('65) & almost for Black Rock  because new M-G-m mogul & Oscar winner for writing Boys Town *Dore Schary-(l905-l980) though without pause, said he was the greatest American actor of all-time, was fed up & told *Spence forget it, they got Alan Ladd instead for that role, *Tracy was on the next plane where Lone Pine, California is 115 in the shade. (TRIVIA: Also where they shot the superb 1939 Gunga Din by the way) & something many may find funny During 1961's Devil at 4 0'Clock (**1/2) he had to actually act at various time to a broomstick on account of *Sinatra's hours)

THANK YOU

By the way in his diary he write that he thought C. Courageous and Nuremberg were his best

Judgment at Nuremberg
Libeled Lady
Keeper of the Flame
Pat and Mike
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Fury
Cass Timberlane
State of the Union
A Guy Named Joe
The Old Man and the Sea

I think Spencer Tracy is the greatest American male actor in the history of film. However, I believe Lillian Gish is the greatest actor in the history of film. Inherit The Wind is a brilliant acting class between him and Fredric March, the second greatest male actor in my opinion.

• Like 1

I agree that Spencer Tracy may well be the greatest American film actor, and I can’t think of any film in which he gave a bad performance.  Most of the time, he was excellent regardless of the quality of the movie itself.  The older I get, the more I appreciate his straightforward, non-fussy acting style (Katharine Hepburn compared him to a baked potato!).  Because of this, I think his acting stands up today more than any of his contemporaries; his performances never seem outdated or old-fashioned.  

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of his, but Bad Day at Black Rock and Libeled Lady are my favorite movies he made.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

My 10 favorite Spencer Tracy films are:

20,000 Years in Sing Sing, Fury,   Libeled Lady,  Test Pilot, Northwest Passage,  State of the Union,  Pat and Mike,  Bad Day at Bad Rock, The Last Hurrah, and Inherit the Wind.

He suffered a heart attack in 1959-(notice the only year he made no pix) & said after The Last Hurrah (his 68th he was ending w/*Ford, where he started I reckon'  But, a guy named Stanley Kramer-(l9l3-2001) came calling with themagnificent courtroom drama  Inherit the Wind   Can you folks believe that great 1940 adventure Northwest Passage (Book1 Rodger's Rangers) was a flop with moviegoers, which always depressed him further   There was a rare-(during that era) sequel planned to   Still 1940 is his closest year to be A #1 Annual $B.O.$champion, but The Mick Rooney took the top slot again instead   He despised histime at then just Fox studios,20th Century Fox established in 1935 as a title  He felt he was somehow being punished those first 5yrs in HOLLYWOOD

And for more fun trivia facts    The Oscars and *Spencer Tracy

His all 9 leading actor Academy Award nominations  (*-denotes victory)

1st San Francisco (l936) Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) as Father Tim Mullen

2nd *Captains Courageous (l937) (M-G-M) as Manuel Fedillo

3rd *Boys Town(l938) (M-G-M) as Father Edward J. Flanagan

4. Father of the Bride (l950) (MGM) as Stanley Banks

5th nod Bad Day at Black Rock (l955) (M-G-M) as John J. McCreedy

6. The 0ld Man and the Sea (l958) (Warner Bros.) as The 0ld man Santiago (TRIVIA: He & Hemingway did not getalong, but got loaded together a lot, but he hated locations, especially off the Cuban coast, so demanded they go back to Hollywood & WB's in Burbank-(most of the studios seem to be based there) & in the worlds still largest s.stage I got to go past it on the WB's VIP Tour-(it's really called that) & my friend said look for a basketball hoop, because the guide had said *G.Clooney was filming A Perfect storm inside &there it was. By the way Ernest Hemingway's (l899-l96l) ideal actor was always *Gary Cooper & especially For Whom the Bell Tolls)

7. Inherit the Wind (l960) (UA) as Clarence Darrow AKA Henry Drummond

8. Judgment at Nuremberg (l96l) (United Artists) s Judge Dan Hayward

& 9th Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (l967 Columbia) as Matt Drayton

(P.S. The Tracy family did not believe me when I told them  he also won a Golden Globe but ignored by his peers for it in the AMPAS for 1953's The Actress (M-G-M)???

I'm not sure which Spencer Tracy film I like best but I thought I'd add that I wish TCM would show some of Spencer Tracy's Fox films. He was a star at Fox for 5 years before coming to MGM. All his Fox films do exist and although TCM has aired a few Fox films ( Me And My Gal, Up The River, Dante's Inferno) there are so many more to show. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, midnight08 said:

I'm not sure which Spencer Tracy film I like best but I thought I'd add that I wish TCM would show some of Spencer Tracy's Fox films. He was a star at Fox for 5 years before coming to MGM. All his Fox films do exist and although TCM has aired a few Fox films ( Me And My Gal, Up The River, Dante's Inferno) there are so many more to show. 

THIS. Apparently all of Tracy's Fox films have either been restored or are scheduled for restoration. I've seen The Mad Game and Disorderly Conduct at film festivals, and they deserve to be better known.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vidorisking said:

I think Spencer Tracy is the greatest American male actor in the history of film. However, I believe Lillian Gish is the greatest actor in the history of film. Inherit The Wind is a brilliant acting class between him and Fredric March, the second greatest male actor in my opinion.

and that finale is a powerhouse, huh   alone for a couple of minutes, no dialogue,etc  *Olivier when he started was ased to tone it down coming from the stage & later said he learned more about motion picture acting from watching  him then anything else  unquote

(TRIVIA: & Lillian holds record for longest span in cinema, approx. 76yrs)  Strangely her peers snubbed her though, only Oscar shot was Duel in the Sun?

10 hours ago, Nightbird311 said:

I agree that Spencer Tracy may well be the greatest American film actor, and I can’t think of any film in which he gave a bad performance.  Most of the time, he was excellent regardless of the quality of the movie itself.  The older I get, the more I appreciate his straightforward, non-fussy acting style (Katharine Hepburn compared him to a baked potato!).  Because of this, I think his acting stands up today more than any of his contemporaries; his performances never seem outdated or old-fashioned.  

As His *Kate said-(something he called her later) he started out playing gangsters like *Cagney, *Bogey, Edward G. and Raft, then obviously graduated to  other roles  A couple TCM has never aired & I of all fans also have yet to see them>Quick Millions-(l931) (with George Raft), Power and the Glory (l933 Fox)  an underrated drana said to influence Kane.  Mostly the network probably doesn't yet own these very early Fox pix, if it wwere then up to him they shoulda burned them! He used to stand on it's roof in Culver City staring at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer a lot.

Finally *Irving G. Thalberg (l899-l936) brought him to the ultimate Dream Factory in '35 much to the chagrin of L.B. Mayer (l885-l957) "We Don't Need Another Gullut, We already Have *Wallace Beery" unquote

Most think  he & *The King of Hollywood: Clark Gable (l90l-60) were very tight pals, not really  *Spence was much closer to *Bogart. There was a competitive thing between he & *Gable, they got on ok, but didn't hang out like *Humphrey Bogart-(also *Sinatra's idol!) or The Irish Mafia a nickname the hated preferring The Boys Club. *Gable is always said to have been jealous of his acting talent & *Tracy of his attraction to the ladies  Plus yrs later-(a famous story) the greatest Tinsel-Town columnist ever James Bacon-(l9l4-2010) (used to have his e mail, gtten from Cyndi Tracy but he never replied, likely given his age by 2002 or so) saw him in a bar, restaurant & loaded again, something he lessened over the years. So Bacon got him over to a table to put some food in him *Spencer all of a sudden dropped his face into a big plate of mashed potatoes! Bacon called her-(*Kate) & told her he entire story & drove a passed out *Spencer Tracy to his house-(he also had the family house on Tower Rd in B. Hills) but St Ives Drive is really where he lived & with her, at one time he lived next to *Frank Sinatra in Trancas Beach as well. Anyweay, when he got there *Katharine was ioutside waiting & with rocks in heer hands, started throwing at James, so he had to drop *Spencer to the ground-(circa 1959 or so, yr he suffered first heart ailment) yelling "It's the Likes of You & that *Gable that always were a bad influence on my *Spenca unquote  Bacon never got to see him again-(P.S. there are at least 2-3 books you can get by him by the way, I was given 2 as a gift)

Told folks I still had this list,  had to locate it  USC has a *Bette Davis (l908-l989) equivalent, mater of fact *Meryl Streep does an in between tribute about her idol & being awarded this honor

To date-(I've written about the remaining members of the Tracy family, they actually ended up in court & my friends won, but think it also stopped this marvelous honor  See his daughter Susie Tracy-(l932-) seemed to be dominating everything & not even citing the rest in public & then there was NO STAMP thanx to grandson Joe Tracy-(l955-)  Cyndi idolized *Spencer a ton more then him, his fmr wife & again run over to Reel Cowboys, Silver sours.com She ran thing a few yrs in 2001 onward, not now, but it was Cyndi's dream as she said Her white wale to get *Duvall to accept the silver-spur award-(another *Tracy fan BIG-TIME!) Mater of fact with all these method guys in *GFI & *GFII he idolized *Tracy instead.

The list of UCLA'S *Spencer Tracy Award>

*William Hurt (l950-) was first

*Nicolas Cage (l964-)

Kirk Douglas (l9l6-)

*Michael Douglas (l944-)

*Jodie Foster (l962-)

Harrison Ford (l942-)

*Tom Hanks (l956-)

*Anjelica Huston (l95l-)

*Anthony Hopkins (l937-)

*Jack Lemmon (l925-2001)-(was also his acting hero)

*Denzel Washington (l954-)

& to date *Morgan Freeman (l937-)

(NOTE: *Oscar winner  & 1st AFI chairman *Gregory Peck (l9l6-2003) really deserved to be first or *Jimmy Stewart, *Peck spoke in his superb docu TCM often airs A Conversation with Gregory Peck that *Tracy was his favorite)

There is supposed to be #13???  I'm not certain but think *George Clooney also was awarded this honor He said on one of the AFI special that *Spence was his acting favorite!

I've always considered Tracy to be one of, if not the, finest screen actors.  Every character he played seemed to fit him like a perfectly tailored suit that he wore with ease, and that was the trick...we never 'catch him acting'.  I don't really have a favorite, but I do love his courtroom scenes with Fredric March in Inherit the Wind...these two really knew what they were doing.                                                                                Image result for spencer tracy fredric march

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shutoo said:

I've always considered Tracy to be one of, if not the, finest screen actors.  Every character he played seemed to fit him like a perfectly tailored suit that he wore with ease, and that was the trick...we never 'catch him acting'.  I don't really have a favorite, but I do love his courtroom scenes with Fredric March in Inherit the Wind...these two really knew what they were doing.                                                                                Image result for spencer tracy fredric march

1st of all thanx fir the photo of it, my choice as the all-time greatest courtroom drama, no matter that AFI left it out of the top ten either-(in it's 10 fir 10 poll & survey-you can easily locate it posted a couple months on here if you like? AFI voted to kill a Mockingbird as 1st out of 10)   Ever see the remakes yet?  This was his firs at work since almost dying of his ongoing heart troubles in '59, but it was his kidney's that were already shot by wage 41 when trying to enlist in THE WAR.   Do you think *March deserved to be nommed as well as *Tracy for this HEAVYWEIGHT Below are the official Best Actor nominees for 1960>

*Lancaster in Elmer Gantry (won of course)

Trevor Howard, Sons and Loers

Jack Lemmon, The Apartment

Olivier, The entertainer

&  Tracy in Inherit theWind  EPIC!!!

On 9/10/2019 at 5:58 AM, Polly of the Precodes said:

THIS. Apparently all of Tracy's Fox films have either been restored or are scheduled for restoration. I've seen The Mad Game and Disorderly Conduct at film festivals, and they deserve to be better known.

I taped his debut in Up the River as most by now know the story *Ford was so impressed of him as Killer Mears in NYCs stage production of The Last Mile he almost immediately brought him out to the then real TINSEL-TOWN-(now mostly a state of mind  & a mess since mid 1960's onward, they warn kids & women to stay off Hollywood, Blvd by night~!?  Quick Millions-(1931 Fox)  think Raft bumps him off, not sure because I have never been able to see it, is among his I most want to check out)

Always wondered how the dynamic *Cagney felt that George M. Cohan-(l878-l942) made a famous statement and old *Tracy "Your the Best Damn Actor I Ever saw" unquote???

On 9/9/2019 at 1:00 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Spence, the Avatar looks great!

I like anything that Spencer Tracy is in.

But my all-time favorites are:

Father of the Bride

Father's Little Dividend

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Adam's Rib

Broken Lance

Boom Town

San Francisco

Fury

Woman of the Year

Inherit the Wind

I'm looking at all these titles,  his diversity is unbelievable.

But Spencer Tracy never gave a bad performance.

And I would also give a heads up to his directors:

Vincente Minnelli

George Cukor

Stanley Kramer

and Katharine Hepburn

neat for including the good (strong ***) & underrated-0(though it was a hit) Father's Little Dividend

You forgot *Victor Fleming though the two made 5 together