Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

Paramount Releases Martin Scorsese-Curated Republic Pictures Slate for Streaming

5 posts in this topic

This line in the second sentence of the article claiming that Republic films were thought of then as B-pictures is going to make a certain poster on here angry.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

This line in the second sentence of the article claiming that Republic films were thought of then as B-pictures is going to make a certain poster on here angry.

I am glad these films are becoming available to the masses. It's the answer to a prayer.

• Thanks 1

I remember reading the he was a huge fan of the Ann Sheridan film Come Next Spring.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:09 PM, TopBilled said:

I am glad these films are becoming available to the masses. It's the answer to a prayer.

With movie acquisition on streaming and Blu/DVD now down to what studio-abandoned Paramount, MGM/UA, Warner or Columbia "Orphans" now make their way to availability, we've actually come FULL CIRCLE to the 70's days when your only hope of seeing movies on TV was in what overlooked studio package of titles was sold to which station, to be shown because they didn't have anything else to air.  Congratulations, Millennial cord-cutters, you've come all the way back to your parents' Million Dollar Movie!  😄

Unfortunately, in this case, sounds like it was an exclusive prestige buddy-deal between Scorsese and AppleTV for streaming-only, accdg. to the Digital Bits site:

Also today, Paramount and Martin Scorsese have revealed a new Republic Rediscovered collection of classic Republic film titles, “personally curated by Martin Scorsese and restored and remastered by Paramount.” The films are now available on iTunes/Apple TV to rent or buy. The specific titles include Accused of Murder (1956), Angel on the Amazon (1948), City that Never Sleeps (1953), Come Next Spring (1956), Driftwood (1947), The Flame (1947), Flame of the Islands (1956), Hellfire (1949), Hell’s Half Acre (1954), I, Jane Doe (1948), The Inside Story (1948), I’ve Always Loved You (1946), Johnny Guitar (1954), Laughing Anne (1953), Moonrise(1948), The Outcast (1954), The Quiet Man (1952), The Red Pony (1949), Storm Over Lisbon (1944), Stranger at My Door (1956), That Brennan Girl (1946), Three Faces West (1940), Trigger, Jr. (1950), and Wake of the Red Witch (1948). There are currently no plans for a physical disc release.

(Fortunately, we've already got The Quiet Man on restored disk anyway, so there's that.)

• Like 1