Sign in to follow this  
Garnet

Who is the lantern man in Lon Chaney`s Phantom of the Opera

8 posts in this topic

I am a huge film buff, a lover of many genres. And a question I have had for many years was, who is the man with the lantern at the beginning of The Phantom of the Opera. You see him speak lines but then we never get an intertitle showing us what he says. Also, there is a rumor it was used as a scene in the talkie version. but then you see the scene in the original silent filming. Anyone know what the answer is. Who is the lantern man?   Thanks, Garnet

18 minutes ago, Garnet said:

I am a huge film buff, a lover of many genres. And a question I have had for many years was, who is the man with the lantern at the beginning of The Phantom of the Opera. You see him speak lines but then we never get an intertitle showing us what he says. Also, there is a rumor it was used as a scene in the talkie version. but then you see the scene in the original silent filming. Anyone know what the answer is. Who is the lantern man?   Thanks, Garnet

Which version?  1925?   1943?  2004?

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Which version?  1925?   1943?  2004?

I'm assuming the 1925 version, since mention is made of "the original silent filming", and the '25 version had a partial talkie version released in 1930.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm assuming the 1925 version, since mention is made of "the original silent filming", and the '25 version had a partial talkie version released in 1930.

Uh,   my bad,,,  I didn't read this carefully.

PS:  and I didn't even see "Lon Chaney's version" in the title before I asked my foolish question!     That clearly rules out the 2004 version!   (banging head on the desk).

On 9/9/2019 at 2:44 PM, Garnet said:

I had thought about this, as well, after seeing the film in a theatre. Don't have an answer, but here is an interesting YouTube of someone pondering the same question:

I have seen this video before and figured TCM would be the place to find an answer. Thanks for sharing the video though. 

I always assumed it was just some crazy homeless man who lived in the vast catacombs beneath the opera house along with the phantom.

10 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I always assumed it was just some crazy homeless man who lived in the vast catacombs beneath the opera house along with the phantom.

True but he speaks to the camera and its a long sequence with absolutely no intertitle to show what he is saying to the viewing audience.