spence

Has anyone ever sen mother!

14 posts in this topic

Had to bring this up, because of all my years going to between 36-60 new releases per year, mother! must easily rank among the most stunningly awful, sick and disgusting!!!

It barely hit $18m I only went because Michelle Pfeiffer was in it-(best part of this expensive mess too!)

It's rarely aied on cable either, but for those with a strong stomach you should check it out just to witness this ge horror film

I saw it. Highly allegorical, I suppose. All the characters are supposed to represent bigger concepts, I think. Sort of interesting. All of Aronofsky's films are at least a little off-kilter, but yes, this one is really off! I was ready for it to be over about 20 minutes before it actually was.

The Mother.  Raw, unfiltered.  The horror!!  Need a strong stomach to drink it straight.  :D

Albeit not a cure for vinegar syndrome, or sub-par Michelle Pfeiffer (I958-) flix.  mmk  :P

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/apple-cider-vinegar.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Highly allegorical, I suppose. All the characters are supposed to represent bigger concepts, I think. 

Biblical actually.

The Javier Bardem character is supposed to be God.

The Jennifer Lawrence is a cross between the concept of Mother Earth and The Blessed Virgin Mary

Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer are supposed to represent Adam and Eve

The Gleeson brothers (Domhnall and Brian) are meant to be Cain and Abel

the whole crazy finale is supposed to represent the apocalypse and the one shocking act is meant to stand in for Holy Communion.

This was one film i read the synopsis of, and just from the description alone, I found it to be deeply offensive, mainly stemming from that one act I am not going to mention here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Biblical actually.

The Javier Bardem character is supposed to be God.

The Jennifer Lawrence is a cross between the concept of Mother Earth and The Blessed Virgin Mary

Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer are supposed to represent Adam and Eve

The Gleeson brothers (Domhnall and Brian) are meant to be Cain and Abel

the whole crazy finale is supposed to represent the apocalypse and the one shocking act is meant to stand in for Holy Communion.

This was one film i read the synopsis of, and just from the description alone, I found it to be deeply offensive, mainly stemming from that one act I am not going to mention here

I'm not religious but agree on it being offensive, worst f all,  STUNNINGLY AWFUL & MESSY!!!

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I loved it. One of the top ten of that year for me. :D

WOW Lawrence, very first time I ever heard anyone say that though   Do you think Pfeiffer is looking worse as so many accuse her of?

Obvioously she doesn't look like her definitive role as Susie Diamond-(robbed of Best Actress) in '89's Fabulous baker Boys ($18m) (a strong ***1/2) but has become more regal

Didn't ever know you went to many new releases year, any lately?  Thee one I'm most looking forward to is The Irishman, how about yourself?

Just now, spence said:

Didn't ever know you went to many new releases year, any lately?  Thee one I'm most looking forward to is The Irishman, how about yourself?

Yeah, I try to see many of the newer films, but seldom in the theater anymore. The Irishman is my most anticipated, as Scorsese is my favorite filmmaker and De Niro my favorite actor, but I'm prepared for the movie to be disappointing, as well. I can't really say why, just a feeling I have that it won't measure up to their earlier collaborations at all. 

I'm also looking forward to The JokerKnives OutThe LaundromatAd AstraMarriage StoryZombieland 2Jojo RabbitThe LighthouseMotherless BrooklynDoctor Sleep, and Ford vs. Ferrari.

30 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I try to see many of the newer films, but seldom in the theater anymore. The Irishman is my most anticipated, as Scorsese is my favorite filmmaker and De Niro my favorite actor, but I'm prepared for the movie to be disappointing, as well. I can't really say why, just a feeling I have that it won't measure up to their earlier collaborations at all. 

I'm also looking forward to The JokerKnives OutThe LaundromatAd AstraMarriage StoryZombieland 2Jojo RabbitThe LighthouseMotherless BrooklynDoctor Sleep, and Ford vs. Ferrari.

try to check out all the trailers of poss Oscar contenders and the two=-popes seems to have all the academy award ingredients  as does alfre woodward in clemency   saw a couple times the trailer yesterday of the lighthouse and it may be Dafoe's 5th shot, recall his disgusting turn in lynch's wild at heart  strangely Berenger is virtually nowhere thesedays though

thanks I more then love hollywoods golden age but see the new stuff as well starting fir 1982-(a great cinematic yr I personally gave ten 4 stars!) I was just barely 17 and 18 that year, did awful forecasting oscars at first though, actually thinking E.T. would defeat *Gandhi    Very rare on her-(THE BEST THOUGH) to find others that also see the new stuff

(P.S. did you knw most Oscar sites have Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as the leader to date?)

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Biblical actually.

Yes, I understood that. I just didn't feel like elaborating.

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

I've seen mother and she's not doing well. 

537ffead-78dd-4237-a698-f9fe328c3632.jpg

:P

NOTJUST A GOOD & FUNNY ONE, BUT AMONG MY FAVS ON HERE YET   PERFECTO!