spence

Zellweger gets standing ovation at TFF

21 posts in this topic

Just caught this that Oscar winning actress Renee Zellweger git the largest standing ovation n the history of The Toronto Film Festival fir her role in Judy

It's gaining momentum for her, to me her main competition is actress Cynthia Erivon in Harriett? & it shouldn't matter but if Renee hadn't already won for 03's Cold Mountain ($96m.) s. actress she'd win Best Actress this year in a walk

• Thanks 1

This project was discussed here a few months back and the general consensus seemed to be that no more Garland (or Monroe or Dean) films were needed. Personally, I'm intrigued after having seen the trailer. Spence is right that buzz seems to be building, though Liza has already criticized the whole enterprise. Judy was probably at an all-time low point, vulnerable and maybe even delusional, but I don't feel that a dramatization would be automatically off limits. I love Judy, have all of the major recordings and have seen all the films, but I don't feel as though any of that would be compromised by a hard look at how her personal life went off the rails. Understanding and empathy come from knowing more, not less, and if the movie is done relatively respectfully I would definitely support it.

• Like 2

*Sinatra used to always say when Judy performned she died a little bit more  unquote

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

I get it and I hate being in audiences for live events now because of it. The mandatory "Standing O" takes a lot out of the experience of live theater, for example. I'm trying to think when it started to happen with such frequency...sometime in the 90's? But anyway, I don't think it automatically shows that enthusiasm for Zellweger's performance was meaningless. I intend to see the film and make up my own mind. I don't buy the idea expressed by some that Garland has been "done". Judy's death was memorialized by a high-profile service in New York City, but the fact remains that she died in London, where she had been living for a while, and generally outside the consciousness of the American public. Some of the biographies have shed some light (and Mickey Deans shed some shade) but her final days and months are still a mystery for many, even devoted fans. Without having seen the movie, I can only say that there is a possibility of a fresh point of view here, as well as a possibility that Zellweger rose to the occasion and deserved the ovation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

JUDY DAVIS JUDY

Sure. I agree. I love that one. But I don't think it means Zellweger shouldn't have her turn; do you?

Either that or her contacts were the wrong prescription.  My EX used to have that look whenever hers were out of whack.  :D 

Sepiatone

Well, I guess that settles it. Based on this reductive assessment of her physical appearance, Renee was a fool to even attempt the role.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DougieB said:

Well, I guess that settles it. Based on this reductive assessment of her physical appearance, Renee was a fool to even attempt the role.

I've read multiple articles praising Zellweger's performance, calling it the best of her career and arguably the best of the year by anyone. The movie, on the other hand, hasn't been as well received, but it wouldn't be the first time that a terrific performance was mired in a lackluster or even bad film. I was one of those who previously posted about not caring to see another movie about Judy Garland, but the praise for Zellweger's performance has changed my mind about seeing the film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sure.  I can agree with that.  I too reserve opinion on movies or music until I see or hear it first.  Now, I might AVOID seeing a movie due to some particular actor or actress I don't really care for being in it( or the lead) but won't say the movie stinks without ever seeing it.  To whit( and lesson learned)-----

My ex bugged the hell out of me to go to the show and see SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER.  Well, I resisted because not liking the TV show WELCOME BACK, KOTTER and thinking TRAVOLTA a 3rd rate sitcom hack, and especially NOT liking Disco music, I had no desire to see that flick.  But to shut her up, I reluctantly went and wound up LIKING the movie!  AND being impressed with Travolta's performance.  And all in spite of that crappy Disco "music".  B)

Sepiatone

Being a big fan of Renee Zellweger's, I really hope she gets at least a nomination. the 2016 Bridget Jones film aside, its been too long since she's been seen. She has this innate likability.

There was a thread on here about folks who didn't quite make expected stardom or briefly shone then vanished very recently. I certainly can't remember many recent Zellweger film appareances or at least any I've seen. I don't know if this is the beginning of a comeback attempt or if she's choosing to work very sporadically right now. I saw the trailer for the first time in the theater last weekend, and I was mildly intrigued. If circumstances fall out right, I will probably watch.

• Like 2

Frankly, I don't care much about what critics say, they're just people like you and I. And too often their opinions have nothing to do with the film they are reviewing. So I might look at a consensus like metacritic. But, it doesn't determine if I'll watch a film or not. I view awards the same way.

And I also don't care about people who give negative opinions of films they have not seen. Or haven't even been released yet.

I'm a fan of Judy. I'm a fan of Renee. If the film shows near my home, I'll go to a theater and watch it.

• Like 1

Although I'm a senior, I do not feel death impending. It's simply easiest to wait until the DVD arrives at my library (or these days) shows up on free streaming. I'm a Judy fan so OF COURSE I'll watch it, along with the other biopics. I can always turn it off if it's a bore.

Let's not forget when Judy died her body was sent to a cemetery morgue where sadly, she waited for over a year to be interred. Where were her children then? Legend has it when Sinatra learned of this, he purchased this modest vault for her internment.

garland-judy-may-02-2010.jpg

It was only a year or two ago Judy's body was sent to CA for a big elaborate monument in Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

Guess none of her children wanted the same lonely forgotten fate-there's room for them alongside (above!) her.

garland-judy-3-e1499220786133.jpg

garlandpavillion-e1497316978656.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, DougieB said:

This project was discussed here a few months back and the general consensus seemed to be that no more Garland (or Monroe or Dean) films were needed. Personally, I'm intrigued after having seen the trailer. Spence is right that buzz seems to be building, though Liza has already criticized the whole enterprise. Judy was probably at an all-time low point, vulnerable and maybe even delusional, but I don't feel that a dramatization would be automatically off limits. I love Judy, have all of the major recordings and have seen all the films, but I don't feel as though any of that would be compromised by a hard look at how her personal life went off the rails. Understanding and empathy come from knowing more, not less, and if the movie is done relatively respectfully I would definitely support it.

All insist during The Glorious Studio-System (l925-60) many stars got hooked on drugs, uppers, downers,etc  *Lionel Barrymore had what then 5hought would kill him with arthritis & of all people-(he even spoke of it) L.B. Mayer used to score him coke to ease his pain  *Selznick got tremendously hooked on uppers, especially during *GWTW.  Of them all I've never heard of any celebrity abusing the body like the tragic Montgomery Clift though

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Although I'm a senior, I do not feel death impending. It's simply easiest to wait until the DVD arrives at my library (or these days) shows up on free streaming. I'm a Judy fan so OF COURSE I'll watch it, along with the other biopics. I can always turn it off if it's a bore.

Let's not forget when Judy died her body was sent to a cemetery morgue where sadly, she waited for over a year to be interred. Where were her children then? Legend has it when Sinatra learned of this, he purchased this modest vault for her internment.

garland-judy-may-02-2010.jpg

It was only a year or two ago Judy's body was sent to CA for a big elaborate monument in Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

Guess none of her children wanted the same lonely forgotten fate-there's room for them alongside (above!) her.

garland-judy-3-e1499220786133.jpg

garlandpavillion-e1497316978656.jpg

Love when people put photos up there  Now Mickey & Judy are not far from each other

No audience for this TV movie. A fake nose and a wig and that endless preening before the camera. I PASS!

Ah, now take it easy on Renee.  Why, nobody else in Hollywood would know how to be good actors and actresses if not for her dispensing her "wisdom".  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone