denniss

60s TV Crime Drama question

13 posts in this topic

Trying to find the episode where a Polish/Czech/Middle European? piano player is helped by Peter Gunn/Johnny Staccato/other? and at the end of the episode he plays a piece of classical/semi-classical music as an illustration to the main character that jazz ain't got nothin' to what other composers did.  Or something like that.  I thought it was Gunn but I bought the series DVD and the episode was not to be found. Then bought the Staccato series. Nada there, as well.  I am aware that these so called 'complete' series often leave out episodes, so.. Anyway, if this rings a bell with anyone..

Thanks much in advance.

25 minutes ago, denniss said:

Trying to find the episode where a Polish/Czech/Middle European? piano player is helped by Peter Gunn/Johnny Staccato/other? and at the end of the episode he plays a piece of classical/semi-classical music as an illustration to the main character that jazz ain't got nothin' to what other composers did.  Or something like that.  I thought it was Gunn but I bought the series DVD and the episode was not to be found. Then bought the Staccato series. Nada there, as well.  I am aware that these so called 'complete' series often leave out episodes, so.. Anyway, if this rings a bell with anyone..

Thanks much in advance.

As a jazz musician I'm sure I would remember this knock on jazz.    I recommend you check out 77 Sunset Strip.  Like Peter Gunn that show featured jazz music often and maybe you can find that episode there.

PS:  as for any debate about the merits of jazz verses classical:  most jazz musicians don't get into this type of silly discussion.    I.e. we have great respect for the great classical music composers like Bach,  Beethoven, Mozart etc...  (as well as most learning classical theory).      Typically it is the classical musician that is unaware of complexity of jazz.    (the Leonard Bernstein musical series that was done around the same time makes this point very well).

Probably should have phrased it differently but it was by no means a knock on jazz. The pianist was just trying to show that what we may think of as "Classical" music, and what that normally brings to mind in the average listener, as not all there is to that genre. I wish I could remember the name of the composer or the piece that was played - hence my original question- because, for my ears, it could have been something that John Lewis played.  Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I never watched 77 Sunset Strip except for the 15 minutes it took for me to turn it off. And I'm sure it was Gunn/Staccato/other - not Richard Diamond or other shows that didn't have a jazz joint where the star of the show hung out and did his business.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, denniss said:

Probably should have phrased it differently but it was by no means a knock on jazz. The pianist was just trying to show that what we may think of as "Classical" music, and what that normally brings to mind in the average listener, as not all there is to that genre. I wish I could remember the name of the composer or the piece that was played - hence my original question- because, for my ears, it could have been something that John Lewis played.  Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I never watched 77 Sunset Strip except for the 15 minutes it took for me to turn it off. And I'm sure it was Gunn/Staccato/other - not Richard Diamond or other shows that didn't have a jazz joint where the star of the show hung out and did his business.

Ah,  if it could have been something John Lewis played,  it sounds like it could have been a hybrid;  music that had both classical and jazz influences.    This makes me think of Andre Previn and I believe I saw him on one of these 60s shows,  but I didn't find anything using Google.

Are you sure it was an American TV show?    E.g. not British like The Saint?

Anyhow I'll keep looking.

It was definitely a European classical composer. Polish sticks in my brain, but it could easily be somewhere south.. If I was more versed in music it would help enormously. Please don't put too much into the Lewis reference. I was searching for a reference I am too musically illiterate to make. The piece I'm trying to remember is like no Classical music I've heard in my limited exposure, but I really liked it. So I guess that begs the question what European/Eastern European composer wrote short pieces that might be mistaken for a classical jazz piece to American ears?

I am almost positive it was either Gunn or Staccato, because at one point one of the joints has an entrance that has an open space to the left of the doors (as you are facing from inside) and stairs on the right leading down to the main room. The band would sit on the left, under that open space above. In this episode, there's a piano in the open space above, so there was only room for the piano and the two actors. The "hero" has to sort of lean on the piano opposite the player to get in the shot, if you follow me. It was filmed behind and over the "hero", until the fellow started playing, then the camera moved in on him. 

If I remember correctly the European character is a refugee, or escaped from something, and, of course, his life's in danger, but the hero saves the day.  The only Gunn/Staccato episode I could find that has a similar character is a man and wife couple, but they get shot and killed at the end. No other European musicians in any show I can now find. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, denniss said:

Thanks much in advance.

I believe the episode you're looking for was on Johnny Staccato, the  episode was titled Swinging Long Hair. It's Season 1 Episode 27 and first aired on March 17, 1960. Staccato befriends  and tries to help an Eastern European defector who plays classical music. Assassins are sent from his country. info about the episode can be found on Imdb. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, denniss said:

I am almost positive it was either Gunn or Staccato,

Well Lavenderblue provided what you're looking for.   She is the expect when it comes to finding and providing this type of info.   (which we are all grateful for).

PS: looks like I might have jumped the gun,  but what I say above is still the case.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I believe the episode you're looking for was on Johnny Staccato, the  episode was titled Swinging Long Hair. It's Season 1 Episode 27 and first aired on March 17, 1960. Staccato befriends  and tries to help an Eastern European defector who plays classical music. Assassins are sent from his country. info about the episode can be found on Imdb. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately not. That was one of the first episodes I watched thinking that was it. But in Long Hair, the pianist and his wife are killed in the end. And there is no conversation and playing a particular piece between Staccato and the pianist.  In the episode I am looking for, the pianist is single, the PI kills the people hunting him, and the final scene has a brief conversation and then he plays this piece, another brief dialog, and queue the credits.

The layout at Waldo's is close, but not exactly as I remembered it. The entrance is more like a hallway leading to the steps down. In the episode I'm looking for, the 'hallway' is somewhat larger, big enough to hold 2 people and a piano.  I actually originally thought it was a Gunn episode, but Mother's doesn't have the correct layout.

I am beginning to think that my age, 75, and the distance back to 1960, has muddled my memories. But the scene is so clear in my mind, and the dialog I can't quite remember, and the playing of a piece I really enjoyed..

oh well.. maybe hypnosis.

• Haha 1

Sorry it isn't the episode you're looking for, although it fit your description at first. LOL about the hypnosis. I hope you can find the episode, so far that was the best I could do to help but I'll keep looking :)

22 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Maybe it was a different series.  Watch anything else? Like Route 66, or something?

PI series in a Jazz night club. I can only think of 2. And I wasn't even doing drugs then. I didn't get any kicks from Route 66.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:13 PM, denniss said:

PI series in a Jazz night club. I can only think of 2. And I wasn't even doing drugs then. I didn't get any kicks from Route 66.

While I know you don't like 77 Sunset Strip,  isn't that a "PI series in a Jazz night club" setting  (Dino's on Sunset Strip was featured often).

Dino's Lodge Restaurant on Sunset Blvd.