TopBilled

CASABLANCA is only the 24th most popular classic

93 posts in this topic

Currently on iTunes, these are the most rented/purchased classic titles:

1. FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)
2. SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982)
3. AIRPLANE! (1980)
4. THE WARRIORS (1979)
5. FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (1986)
6. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1969)
7. GREASE (1978)
8. FORREST GUMP (1994)
9. THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965)
10. THE QUIET MAN (1952)
11. STALAG 17 (1953)
12. ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951)
13. MARY POPPINS (1964)
14. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)
15. CHINATOWN (1974)
16. GHOST (1990)
17. TRUE GRIT (1969)
18. ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)
19. CITIZEN KANE (1941)
20. BLAZING SADDLES (1974)
21. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962)
22. PINOCCHIO (1940)
23. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969)
24. CASABLANCA (1942)
25. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's still a very good ranking for such an old film. It's the second oldest on the list besides Pinnochio. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

STALAG 17??  Now that is curious. A great film, but certainly not something that would seemingly appeal to the iTunes generation(s).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Currently on iTunes, these are the most rented/purchased classic titles:

1. FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)
2. SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982)
3. AIRPLANE! (1980)
4. THE WARRIORS (1979)
5. FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (1986)
6. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1969)
7. GREASE (1978)
8. FORREST GUMP (1994)
9. THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965)
10. THE QUIET MAN (1952)
11. STALAG 17 (1953)
12. ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951)
13. MARY POPPINS (1964)
14. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)
15. CHINATOWN (1974)
16. GHOST (1990)
17. TRUE GRIT (1969)
18. ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)
19. CITIZEN KANE (1941)
20. BLAZING SADDLES (1974)
21. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962)
22. PINOCCHIO (19
23. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969)
24. CASABLANCA (1942)
25. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is 5th??  I guess you can't fix stupid.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

STALAG 17??  Now that is curious. A great film, but certainly not something that would seemingly appeal to the iTunes generation(s).

I had that same thought about SOPHIE'S CHOICE.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering why Friday the 13th was at the top of the list until I realized that yesterday was Friday the 13th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was Friday the 13th, which probably explains that title zooming to the top of the list. 

It will be interesting to see if it hits number one again the next time we have a Friday the 13th.

I agree that SOPHIE'S CHOICE and STALAG 17 seem to be surprises.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I agree that SOPHIE'S CHOICE and STALAG 17 seem to be surprises.

Apart from the core and Disney classics, 15 out of 25, Friday included, seem to be Paramount's catalog, across the board--

Stalag 17, Chinatown, Ghost and Rosemary's Baby (what, no Sunset Boulevard?) are four of the most omnipresent Paramount Orphans, popping up around every corner of streaming, so you couldn't throw a rock in any direction and not hit one of those.  Rosemary still has a classic film reputation--and looks the most rentable since it's, oo, a horror classic!--and Ghost and Chinatown never get old, but Stalag is only recently getting the "Ohh, THAT'S why they made Hogan's Heroes, I get it!" re-appreciation, after being out of the ether for a while as only one of an anonymous group of 50's-60's Best Pictures.

Sophie's Choice (which was Universal), I can only speculate:  Even the very name conjures up old 80's memories of the ponderous, punishing Critically-Acclaimed Oscar Nominee, With/Without Meryl Streep--the one that usually lost to the more popular film, back in the five-nomination days--and I fear it's being rented on name value as a symbolic act of self-flagellation by younger audiences told they had to see more "Great movies" from the 70's and 80's.  Just surprised that Shawshank Redemption wasn't up there as millennial Great-Movie Oscar-Boogeyman as well, but Forrest Gump (also Paramount) managed to fill in.

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is 5th??  I guess you can't fix stupid.

Ferris Bueller AND Grease.  To a generation, only six great movies were ever made--They'd already seen Back to the Future and Princess Bride, Lion King was too fresh in the memory, and Disney already owned Empire Strikes Back.  😓

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

I was wondering why Friday the 13th was at the top of the list until I realized that yesterday was Friday the 13th.

Yep, and this would also explain why Sophie's Choice came in way up there in second place.

(…yesterday was Sophie Tucker's birthday)

;)

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Apart from the core and Disney classics, 15 out of 25, Friday included, seem to be Paramount's catalog, across the board--

Stalag 17, Chinatown, Ghost and Rosemary's Baby (what, no Sunset Boulevard?) are four of the most omnipresent Paramount Orphans, popping up around every corner of streaming, so you couldn't throw a rock in any direction and not hit one of those.  Rosemary still has a classic film reputation--and looks the most rentable since it's, oo, a horror classic!--and Ghost and Chinatown never get old, but Stalag is only recently getting the "Ohh, THAT'S why they made Hogan's Heroes, I get it!" re-appreciation, after being out of the ether for a while as only one of an anonymous group of 50's-60's Best Pictures.

Halloween isn't for another six weeks, so I imagine ROSEMARY'S BABY will inch its way to the top of the list.

I was surprised CITIZEN KANE ranked higher than CASABLANCA and GONE WITH THE WIND.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yesterday was Friday the 13th, which probably explains that title zooming to the top of the list. 

It will be interesting to see if it hits number one again the next time we have a Friday the 13th.

I agree that SOPHIE'S CHOICE and STALAG 17 seem to be surprises.

OH, and btw TB, here's the reason for this seeming surprise of Stalag 17 making this list.

There's been a sudden and inexplicable resurgence of interest in the career of Sig Ruman of late.

(...I know, weird huh!)

;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lydecker said:

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is 5th??  I guess you can't fix stupid.

When you consider the source, the movies listed are extremely good. 

Most people who have a real interest or knowledge about film have their own DVDs and or use a free public library.

When you consider everything, the list has a number of quality films.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yep, and this would also explain why Sophie's Choice came in way up there in second place.

(…yesterday was Sophie Tucker's birthday)

;)

 

I wonder how many iTunes aficionados even know who SOPHIE TUCKER was?  :wacko:

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Apart from the core and Disney classics, 15 out of 25, Friday included, seem to be Paramount's catalog, across the board--

Stalag 17, Chinatown, Ghost and Rosemary's Baby (what, no Sunset Boulevard?) are four of the most omnipresent Paramount Orphans, popping up around every corner of streaming, so you couldn't throw a rock in any direction and not hit one of those.  Rosemary still has a classic film reputation--and looks the most rentable since it's, oo, a horror classic!--and Ghost and Chinatown never get old, but Stalag is only recently getting the "Ohh, THAT'S why they made Hogan's Heroes, I get it!" re-appreciation, after being out of the ether for a while as only one of an anonymous group of 50's-60's Best Pictures.

Say Eric, you just might have discovered the very reason my aforementioned noted resurgence of the general populace's interest in Sig Ruman's career has taken place!

Uh-huh, first these people remember the bumbling German guard in that sitcom was played by John Banner, but THEN when they discover that SIG RUMAN basically played the same character in Wilder's flick...

(...well, you get where I'm goin' here, doncha?!)

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

I wonder how many iTunes aficionados even know who SOPHIE TUCKER was?  :wacko:

Sepiatone

Not many I'm sure.

(...nope, ask 'em who billed herself as "The Last of the Red Hot Mamas", and I'll bet most of 'em would probably reply with somethin' like, "I dunno. Charlize Theron maybe?")

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't just assume that because some critics claim certain movies are the best, this will compel people to watch them today. You have to look at what's going on today and what would interest people today. 

Animated musicals are very popular today so I would expect old time musicals to be watched. Warriors is about a street gang. We have lots of street gangs today so there you go. Ferris Bueller is about skipping school. Lots of kids do that everyday. Horror movies are popular so Friday the 13th would be expected to be on that list.

You have to look at this list in the context of 2019. Morocco isn't really in the news much these days. WWII is but, its more about the European theater with films about Dunkirk and Churchill. So having Stalag 17 ahead of Casablanca makes sense today.

We always discuss award winners. But, what about the box office winners for certain years. That gives a better idea of how people felt back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Not many I'm sure.

(...nope, ask 'em who billed herself as "The Last of the Red Hot Mamas", and I'll bet most of 'em would probably reply with somethin' like, "I dunno. Charlize Theron maybe?")

Nah, some mothers group will come out and say they're offended by that title. :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

That's still a very good ranking for such an old film. It's the second oldest on the list besides Pinnochio. 

While you still have a valid point,  also on this list was Citizen Kane (41) and GWTW (39)  - films made before Casablanca.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That iTunes (really ??) chart is only a snapshot in time, as per the Friday the 13th bump.  An instantaneous reading.  Not as useful as, say totals or weighted averages over a period of say a month or a year.  But perhaps more interesting to some.

Also I would question just how many other classic movies (by TCM or Filmstruck standards) they might be ranking those few individual classic titles against.  How many other contenders?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Currently on iTunes, these are the most rented/purchased classic titles:

1. FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)
2. SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982)
3. AIRPLANE! (1980)
4. THE WARRIORS (1979)
5. FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (1986)
6. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1969)
7. GREASE (1978)
8. FORREST GUMP (1994)
9. THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965)
10. THE QUIET MAN (1952)
11. STALAG 17 (1953)
12. ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951)
13. MARY POPPINS (1964)
14. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)
15. CHINATOWN (1974)
16. GHOST (1990)
17. TRUE GRIT (1969)
18. ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)
19. CITIZEN KANE (1941)
20. BLAZING SADDLES (1974)
21. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962)
22. PINOCCHIO (1940)
23. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969)
24. CASABLANCA (1942)
25. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)

There's no accounting for taste when somebody would rather watch Friday the 13th than Casablanca. Aargh!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I wonder how many iTunes aficionados even know who SOPHIE TUCKER was?  :wacko:

Sepiatone

Do they even know who Sophie B. Hawkins is?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no accounting for taste when somebody would willingly watch The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins, period. Maybe once because they really didn't know any better, but twice....yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Do they even know who Sophie B. Hawkins is?

DAMN...I wish I didn't know her.🎵

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

When you consider the source, the movies listed are extremely good. 

Most people who have a real interest or knowledge about film have their own DVDs and or use a free public library.

When you consider everything, the list has a number of quality films.

Also considering this is iTunes' list--Among those (ahemilliteratemillennialcavephilistines) who don't have a serious browsing interest in tracking disks at the library, and stick to digital/streaming for their entire movie input, iTunes has the slightly more "upscale" edge, since it's usually through the AppleTV set-top box or the iPad tablet, and in more of a "Browsing" form than the usual search on YouTube.  AppleTV doesn't have a future as a programming network, but it continues to be the living room browser of choice.

Like Sophie and Forrest, the two other names that haunt young viewers told they have to see "famous films" are Citizen Kane and Casablanca.  And young viewers might see them on the front page and deliberately walk across coals to get those movies out of the way, to shout down any snotty Elder who accuses that they "haven't seen them".

Not to mention--taking Kane, GWTW, Casablanca and Singin' as a group entity--Warner made their core classics available as an over-displayed goodwill gesture after losing the Digital wars.  I got an entire package free on my Vudu courtesy of the retiring Flixster, and throwing in the '33 "King Kong" and the Judy Garland "Star is Born" to boot.

That iTunes (really ??) chart is only a snapshot in time, as per the Friday the 13th bump. 

As is the proliferation of Westerns near the bottom of the list (True Grit, Butch Cassidy, Blazing Saddles), which might have also been a temporary sale.  The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance isn't normally a top seller the rest of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us