TopBilled

CASABLANCA is only the 24th most popular classic

93 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I have no idea what or who "Pewdiepie" is nor do I care. 

This was the answer to the question about the person with the most hits on YouTube at a trivia night I played in a couple of years ago.  I was the only person at my table who knew the answer (to the stunned amazement of my teammates).  When asked how I knew such useless information, I had to explain to them the concept of what it meant when a person said they 'had no life'!  😆

So, does iTunes have its own definition of "classic" or is that something you chose to define, TopBilled? Of course, this is a term that at one time caused a lot of consternation on these boards concerning what kinds of films TCM should be showing if they were going to make "classic" part of their name. It appears in this instance, it means films that are at least 25 years old, but who chose to define that?

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Enjoy:

And preferably, we can all find a lover that won't drive us crazy...

• Like 1

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

So, does iTunes have its own definition of "classic" or is that something you chose to define, TopBilled? Of course, this is a term that at one time caused a lot of consternation on these boards concerning what kinds of films TCM should be showing if they were going to make "classic" part of their name. It appears in this instance, it means films that are at least 25 years old, but who chose to define that?

It's my definition/interpretation. I see film the same way I see music. Some songs you hear and want to keep replaying them. I think the movies are like that too. They can be instant classics. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midwestan said:

This was the answer to the question about the person with the most hits on YouTube at a trivia night I played in a couple of years ago.  I was the only person at my table who knew the answer (to the stunned amazement of my teammates).  When asked how I knew such useless information, I had to explain to them the concept of what it meant when a person said they 'had no life'!  😆

In my case I learned of him by reading about him.  Also there was one time I saw him on a live-action cameo on South Park.  It looked like Matt and Trey thought highly of him.

Most important thing to know about him is he is independent, non-corporate, non-establishment, and much more popular with the viewers on Youtube than anyone who is corporate or establishment.  He is primarily a gamer, I think.  I don't follow him either.

13 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

In my case I learned of him by reading about him.  Also there was one time I saw him make a live-action cameo on South Park.  It looked like Matt and Trey thought highly of him.

Most important thing to know about him is he is independent, non-corporate, non-establishment, and much more popular with the viewers on Youtube than anyone who is corporate or establishment.  He is primarily a gamer, I think.  I don't follow him either.

A guy who posts videos of himself playing video games is corporate whether he wants to be or not. He's still just a promotional tool for the game companies. BTW, he was signed with a media corporation (now part of Disney) before being let go by them for reported antisemitic remarks or some such scandal.

I'm not usually one of those "Kids these days!" complaining old grumps like so many on here, but the first time that I heard watching videos of other people playing video games was a thing that people did, I knew I was officially old and out of touch.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

A guy who posts videos of himself playing video games is corporate whether he wants to be or not. He's still just a promotional tool for the game companies. BTW, he was signed with a media corporation (now part of Disney) before being let go by them for reported antisemitic remarks or some such scandal.

I'm not usually one of those "Kids these days!" complaining old **** like so many on here, but the first time that I heard watching videos of other people playing video games was a thing that people did, I knew I was officially old and out of touch.

Regardless, I'm quite sure he doesn't report to any higher authorities.  He does whatever he wants, whenever he wants.  That is the definition of Independent.

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It's even worse than that. He got in trouble because Brenton Tarrant/ the NZ shooter said "subscribe to Pewdiepie" before the shooting so he got in trouble for that. For the record, I only know about him because of his videos on Plato, Kierkegaard and other philosophers.

He gets quite a bit wrong but it is noble that he is at least attempting to get the younger generation into serious philosophy.

21 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Do they even know who Sophie B. Hawkins is?

Or even SADIE Hawkins!  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm not usually one of those "Kids these days!" complaining old grumps like so many on here, but the first time that I heard watching videos of other people playing video games was a thing that people did, I knew I was officially old and out of touch.

Lol. I don't even want to sit and watch my husband play video games, let alone strangers.

There's also a fascination with watching people open packages.  I have no idea.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:38 PM, TopBilled said:

Do they even know who Sophie B. Hawkins is?

I know of her from two songs: "As I Lay Me Down to Sleep" (which was pretty big on the radio for a while, and I caught a snippet of it on there recently) and the end credits song of the 1996 film Mrs Winterbourne (which, for the record, was the time that a Barbara Stanwyck noir, No Man of Her Own, was restructured as a romantic comedy for Ricki Lake and Brendan Fraser..... with the murder, blackmail, and fatal train crash left in)

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2019 at 4:00 AM, TopBilled said:

Currently on iTunes, these are the most rented/purchased classic titles:

1. FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)
2. SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982)
3. AIRPLANE! (1980)
4. THE WARRIORS (1979)
5. FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (1986)
6. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1969)
7. GREASE (1978)
8. FORREST GUMP (1994)
9. THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965)
10. THE QUIET MAN (1952)
11. STALAG 17 (1953)
12. ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951)
13. MARY POPPINS (1964)
14. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)
15. CHINATOWN (1974)
16. GHOST (1990)
17. TRUE GRIT (1969)
18. ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)
19. CITIZEN KANE (1941)
20. BLAZING SADDLES (1974)
21. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962)
22. PINOCCHIO (1940)
23. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969)
24. CASABLANCA (1942)
25. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)

Top TopBilled, I understand it's list but of course don't agree with iTunes choices,  No 1 being bizarre   Cool to finally see Leone's Western finally getting it's due & everywhere nowadays same goes for one of my top ten favs  The Quiet Man  Wow, and the magnificent 1982 Sophie's Choice as #2   & I believe '79's The Warriors was when the audience rioted the first time in theaters,  but Grease?  To bad the likes of a former rented place like Blockbuster did not reply with it's own listing-(though dated by now)

What's the major rented or purchased leading contender thesedays as far as these places go

25 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

"Some of These Days"!

Was & is Bette Midler's own idol Tucker

6 minutes ago, spence said:

What's the major rented or purchased leading contender thesedays as far as these places go

I would say iTunes and Amazon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I would say iTunes and Amazon.

One of the big problems that sank Ultraviolet's hopes for Digital is that most people didn't really much care about exploring the wonderful new frontier of digital movies, had no idea where they would watch them, and pretty much used whatever their tablet or STB was connected to--Those with iPads and AppleTV's bought iTunes, those with Fire sticks and Alexas bought Amazon.

Most people still use Amazon for paid rentals if they've got Prime, but redeeming free disk codes now brings you onto Vudu, which is about as good and reliable a service as there is right now, if we have to have one.  (And "one" is pretty much what it became.)

• Thanks 1

Thanks buddy, then if you find Amazon's list, please post it via comparison

21 minutes ago, spence said:

Thanks buddy, then if you find Amazon's list, please post it via comparison

Sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Sure.

tried to cate Amazon's list, it took too long to download it & think it was dated by a year

certain you can locate it better then myself

6 hours ago, The Keeper/The Sandman said:

Dog Videos Rule:

love it when people  show clips

30 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I have the CBS Fox VHS of "Casablanca" since the mid 1980's

Still plays great!

s-l300.jpg

30423_Casablanca%2520VHS%2520Back%2520Co

It is the  prime example of the studio system at it pinnacle