TopBilled

CASABLANCA is only the 24th most popular classic

93 posts in this topic

wrote this before but can anybody fathom it was originally set for Reagan & Sheridan in those roles

8 hours ago, spence said:

tried to cate Amazon's list, it took too long to download it & think it was dated by a year

certain you can locate it better then myself

I don't think Amazon has a list like iTunes does.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think Amazon has a list like iTunes does.

Could you post a link to this list ? Does one have to be a member to see it ? I have never had Apple nor any of its products so I don't know how it works.

11 hours ago, spence said:

wrote this before but can anybody fathom it was originally set for Reagan & Sheridan in those roles

Somewhere along the way I heard that was all "urban legend".  

Sepiatone

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Somewhere along the way I heard that was all "urban legend".  

Sepiatone

Yep, what you heard was correct, Sepia. The story about the possibly of Ronald Reagan ever being cast as Rick Blaine IS all an urban legend.

And, was all started a few years later and after there was talk for a time of the Warner Brothers making a movie titled Bonzo Goes Casablancan. ;)

AND of course what FURTHER helped this little urban legend gain traction was that time Johnny Carson as his Art Fern character once said, "And now back to our movie starring Ronald Reagan, Jean Hagen and Helen Gahagan Douglas in...…"

(...nah, just kiddin'...I made that last part up too)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Could you post a link to this list ? Does one have to be a member to see it ? I have never had Apple nor any of its products so I don't know how it works.

You need to be using an Apple product (iMac, Macbook, iPhone) to access the iTunes store.

When I go to the iTunes store, there's a page called Movies.

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 7.41.08 PM.png

If you scroll down a little bit, there's a daily list of the most popular classic film rentals/purchases. Today THE WARRIORS (1979) hit the top spot:

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 7.39.15 PM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now, y'all KNOW that when it comes to determining a movie's being good or bad that BOX OFFICE and RENTAL popularity isn't any factor at all!  Like I always say(and the "dead horse" I beat  :D )  In a country that re-elected RICHARD NIXON and RONALD REAGAN, spent MILLIONS OF DOLLARS on PET ROCKS and DISCO RECORDS,  then an accolade such as THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD has to be a dubious honor at best.  B)

Sepiatone

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

You need to be using an Apple product (iMac, Macbook, iPhone) to access the iTunes store.

I don't know if that's true, unless it changed this year. I haven't attempted to use the iTunes store since January (and sadly, I don't even know how much longer it's going to be around), but for a good nine years, I've been accessing it on PCs.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Keeper/The Sandman said:

I can't imagine not being able to use the Store feature in iTunes for Windows.

Why, what happened?

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Now, y'all KNOW that when it comes to determining a movie's being good or bad that BOX OFFICE and RENTAL popularity isn't any factor at all!  Like I always say(and the "dead horse" I beat  :D )  In a country that re-elected RICHARD NIXON and RONALD REAGAN, spent MILLIONS OF DOLLARS on PET ROCKS and DISCO RECORDS,  then an accolade such as THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD has to be a dubious honor at best.  B)

Sepiatone

Well, as I'm sure you know Sepia, there was one particular early-20th century essayist and newspaper columnist of some note who pretty much said all that you've just said in a little more succinct manner when he stated:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Public." - H.L. Mencken

Btw, and re your POTUS references up there. Mr. Mencken, as you may ALSO know, was noted as stating the following too:

"The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

(...and as much as it appears that you were never a big fan of either Tricky Dick or The Gipper, you DO have to admit that the passage of time since THEIR administrations have only made Mr. Mencken's words here seem EXPECIALLY prescient, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Keeper/The Sandman said:

I can't imagine not being able to use the Store feature in iTunes for Windows.

Yeah I once loaded iTunes on an old Windows computer to help a relative upgrade her iPhone.  Despite its name ("iTunes" presumably = "music"), I could see them using it as a mechanism for customers to download just about anything.

1 hour ago, spence said:

Why, what happened?

iTunes is also available for Microsoft Windows. So, iTunes does not require an Apple product. I suspect TopBilled doesn't ever use Windows. Can't say I blame him.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Keeper/The Sandman said:

iTunes is also available for Microsoft Windows. So, iTunes does not require an Apple product. I suspect TopBilled doesn't ever use Windows. Can't say I blame him.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I obviously do not use Windows.

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I obviously do not use Windows.

"The software box said Windows 98 or better. So I got a Mac."

• Haha 1

The most rented/purchased titles on iTunes today:

1. THE LION KING (2019)
2. TOY STORY 4 (2019)
3. SPIDER MAN: FAR FROM HOME (2019)
4. YESTERDAY (2019)
5. ALADDIN (2019)
6. HOCUS POCUS (1993)
7. MIDSOMMAR (2019)
8. JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM (2019)
9. HUSTLE (2019)
10. THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993)

It's largely seasonal, it appears. A couple of Halloween movies sneak into the Top 10. Otherwise, everything's from this year.

7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's largely seasonal, it appears. A couple of Halloween movies sneak into the Top 10. Otherwise, everything's from this year.

Yes. And the "oldest" ones-- Halloween offerings-- are both from 1993.