spence

Who is the Best Director of All-Time?

68 posts in this topic

sThey somewhat covered actors & actresses (*Bogey & *Bette Davis were by far mentioned the most of here

(But what about the greatest filmmakers/directors behind & sometimes in frt on the camera?)

Of course my peronal votes are *Ford, Hitchcock & Hawks

But what about the rest of you?

If you're asking who is "the greatest director", try picking one instead of three.

Why is your second sentence in parentheses?

And what's with the asterisks everywhere?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think the * next to Ford means it is spence's favorite. I would be okay with spence using a bigger font versus bold. I use zoom in my tablet to make text I can actually see. Huge for others.

On the Google Chrome browser for desktops, it is possible to make the text size bigger all the time. Maybe the others too. Not sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

If you're asking who is "the greatest director", try picking one instead of three.

why are you so negative    *Ford (*=means Oscar winner,  Im have posted that everywhere ) is my vote then

Great critical comments here, but no answer?

To topBilled out there somewhere, please also chime in with your own pick buddy

John Ford ...

honorable mentions ...

george stevens ... delmer daves ... john sturges ... budd boetticher ... anthony mann ... cecil b. demille ... william wellman ... king vidor ...  sergio leone ...

• Like 1

Spence is a staple on these boards. I remember posting on these boards in the early 2000’s and Spence was on here along with the old timers like CoffeeDan and Mongo. You can go back into the archives and see Spence making his bones when some us were still going out with cheerleaders (Godfather reference for Spence). I for one welcome his posts and his uniqueness.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, vidorisking said:

Spence is a staple on these boards. I remember posting on these boards in the early 2000’s and Spence was on here along with the old timers like CoffeeDan and Mongo. You can go back into the archives and see Spence making his bones when some us were still going out with cheerleaders (Godfather reference for Spence). I for one welcome his posts and his uniqueness.

thank you

2 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

John Ford ...

honorable mentions ...

george stevens ... delmer daves ... john sturges ... budd boetticher ... anthony mann ... cecil b. demille ... william wellman ... king vidor ...  sergio leone ...

cool

27 minutes ago, vidorisking said:

is your locale DE meaning Delaware?

1 hour ago, vidorisking said:

& great Moe Green item pal 

Yep, located in the first state Delaware. Also, to answer your post my vote goes to D.W. Griffith, despite my user name devoted to King Vidor who I believe is runner up. Griffith just innovated everything and it’s a real shame that people only think of him for The Birth Of A Nation and think he is some type of racist. My vote for international director goes to Jean Renoir, who directed films as beautifully as his father painted portraits.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spence said:

thank you for your reply, thought for certain it would be like Bogart's or B. Davis though I regard to most selecting Hitchcock'

If not the greatest, then just your fav 

Neither Bogart nor Davis were directors...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, spence said:

If not the greatest, then just your fav 

That's all the "greatest" CAN be in these kind of threads.  And too, some might find it difficult to pick just one of those as well.  

Now, a guy upthere going by the moniker VIDORISKING votes for D.W. GRIFFITH because he's claimed to be an "innovator" .  Sure, as movie making goes, I suppose THE BIRTH OF A NATION, despite gross historical inaccuracies was innovative, but so was ORSON WELLES and CITIZEN KANE just 26 years later.  But too, remember Welles at one time claimed to be influenced and a big fan and admirer of JOHN FORD.  

But I gotta get going( vital Doc appointment soon) so I'll just post a few "favs"  ;) 

MICHAEL CURTIZ

ORSON WELLES

JOHN FORD

WILLIAM WYLER

ELIA KAZAN 

ALFRED HITCHCOCK

NOW do ya see the difficulty in this?  

Sepiatone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vidorisking said:

Yep, located in the first state Delaware. Also, to answer your post my vote goes to D.W. Griffith, despite my user name devoted to King Vidor who I believe is runner up. Griffith just innovated everything and it’s a real shame that people only think of him for The Birth Of A Nation and think he is some type of racist. My vote for international director goes to Jean Renoir, who directed films as beautifully as his father painted portraits.

that is where I was born but grew up all of new jersey  agreed D.W. was the very first [pioneer but thesedays he's been pigeonholed as being racist

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Neither Bogart nor Davis were directors...

only brought the 2 performers up because someone else posted a question of  fav actors and actresses and both were cited the most

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Just like how someone makes a top ten list. And people want to add more names without removing any. :wacko:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That's all the "greatest" CAN be in these kind of threads.  And too, some might find it difficult to pick just one of those as well.  

Now, a guy upthere going by the moniker VIDORISKING votes for D.W. GRIFFITH because he's claimed to be an "innovator" .  Sure, as movie making goes, I suppose THE BIRTH OF A NATION, despite gross historical inaccuracies was innovative, but so was ORSON WELLES and CITIZEN KANE just 26 years later.  But too, remember Welles at one time claimed to be influenced and a big fan and admirer of JOHN FORD.  

But I gotta get going( vital Doc appointment soon) so I'll just post a few "favs"  ;) 

MICHAEL CURTIZ

ORSON WELLES

JOHN FORD

WILLIAM WYLER

ELIA KAZAN 

ALFRED HITCHCOCK

NOW do ya see the difficulty in this?  

Sepiatone

thanks and agree, favs vs the

1 minute ago, GGGGerald said:

Just like how someone makes a top ten list. And people want to add more names without removing any. :wacko:

best is often not the same thing

Don't know who is 'the greatest' but the director that directed the most films I enjoy would be William Wyler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

explained the * many times since first n here & other many sites which have no problem because  at the inception of any post I tell folks * always means an Academy Award winner, tons of books do the same, that's where I got it over 40 years of collecting and reading them

6 minutes ago, spence said:

only brought the 2 performers up because someone else posted a question of  fav actors and actresses and both were cited the most

No one else posted a question. :wacko: 

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Don't know who is 'the greatest' but the director that directed the most films I enjoy would be William Wyler.

Being a *Wyler fan you probably already know his *Oscar record for most winners going to the most performances, think it's either 12 or 13 Plus the record Best Director oms with a dozen, *Scorsese called him "The Invisible Style"

22 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

david lean

Ironically the last film I went to was the magnificent *Lawrence of Arabia

3 minutes ago, spence said:

being a *Wyler fan you probably already know his *Oscar record for most winners going to the most performances, think it's either 12 or 13 Plus the record Best Director oms with a dozen, *Scorsese called him "The Invisible Style"

Yes,  I'm aware of this (as well as all the best actor \ actress nomination).

As actresses like to say "William was very good to me!".

• Like 1