spence

Who is the Best Director of All-Time?

68 posts in this topic

sThey somewhat covered actors & actresses (*Bogey & *Bette Davis were by far mentioned the most of here

(But what about the greatest filmmakers/directors behind & sometimes in frt on the camera?)

 

Of course my peronal votes are *Ford, Hitchcock & Hawks

But what about the rest of you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're asking who is "the greatest director", try picking one instead of three.

Why is your second sentence in parentheses?

And what's with the asterisks everywhere?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the * next to Ford means it is spence's favorite. I would be okay with spence using a bigger font versus bold. I use zoom in my tablet to make text I can actually see. Huge for others.

On the Google Chrome browser for desktops, it is possible to make the text size bigger all the time. Maybe the others too. Not sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

If you're asking who is "the greatest director", try picking one instead of three.

Why is your second sentence in parentheses?

And what's with the asterisks everywhere?

why are you so negative    *Ford (*=means Oscar winner,  Im have posted that everywhere ) is my vote then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great critical comments here, but no answer?

 

To topBilled out there somewhere, please also chime in with your own pick buddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Ford ...

honorable mentions ...

george stevens ... delmer daves ... john sturges ... budd boetticher ... anthony mann ... cecil b. demille ... william wellman ... king vidor ...  sergio leone ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spence is a staple on these boards. I remember posting on these boards in the early 2000’s and Spence was on here along with the old timers like CoffeeDan and Mongo. You can go back into the archives and see Spence making his bones when some us were still going out with cheerleaders (Godfather reference for Spence). I for one welcome his posts and his uniqueness.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, vidorisking said:

Spence is a staple on these boards. I remember posting on these boards in the early 2000’s and Spence was on here along with the old timers like CoffeeDan and Mongo. You can go back into the archives and see Spence making his bones when some us were still going out with cheerleaders (Godfather reference for Spence). I for one welcome his posts and his uniqueness.

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

John Ford ...

honorable mentions ...

george stevens ... delmer daves ... john sturges ... budd boetticher ... anthony mann ... cecil b. demille ... william wellman ... king vidor ...  sergio leone ...

cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, vidorisking said:

Spence is a staple on these boards. I remember posting on these boards in the early 2000’s and Spence was on here along with the old timers like CoffeeDan and Mongo. You can go back into the archives and see Spence making his bones when some us were still going out with cheerleaders (Godfather reference for Spence). I for one welcome his posts and his uniqueness.

is your locale DE meaning Delaware?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vidorisking said:

Spence is a staple on these boards. I remember posting on these boards in the early 2000’s and Spence was on here along with the old timers like CoffeeDan and Mongo. You can go back into the archives and see Spence making his bones when some us were still going out with cheerleaders (Godfather reference for Spence). I for one welcome his posts and his uniqueness.

& great Moe Green item pal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, located in the first state Delaware. Also, to answer your post my vote goes to D.W. Griffith, despite my user name devoted to King Vidor who I believe is runner up. Griffith just innovated everything and it’s a real shame that people only think of him for The Birth Of A Nation and think he is some type of racist. My vote for international director goes to Jean Renoir, who directed films as beautifully as his father painted portraits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, spence said:

thank you for your reply, thought for certain it would be like Bogart's or B. Davis though I regard to most selecting Hitchcock'

If not the greatest, then just your fav 

Neither Bogart nor Davis were directors...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, spence said:

If not the greatest, then just your fav 

That's all the "greatest" CAN be in these kind of threads.  And too, some might find it difficult to pick just one of those as well.  

Now, a guy upthere going by the moniker VIDORISKING votes for D.W. GRIFFITH because he's claimed to be an "innovator" .  Sure, as movie making goes, I suppose THE BIRTH OF A NATION, despite gross historical inaccuracies was innovative, but so was ORSON WELLES and CITIZEN KANE just 26 years later.  But too, remember Welles at one time claimed to be influenced and a big fan and admirer of JOHN FORD.  

But I gotta get going( vital Doc appointment soon) so I'll just post a few "favs"  ;) 

MICHAEL CURTIZ

ORSON WELLES

JOHN FORD

WILLIAM WYLER

ELIA KAZAN 

ALFRED HITCHCOCK

NOW do ya see the difficulty in this?  

Sepiatone

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vidorisking said:

Yep, located in the first state Delaware. Also, to answer your post my vote goes to D.W. Griffith, despite my user name devoted to King Vidor who I believe is runner up. Griffith just innovated everything and it’s a real shame that people only think of him for The Birth Of A Nation and think he is some type of racist. My vote for international director goes to Jean Renoir, who directed films as beautifully as his father painted portraits.

that is where I was born but grew up all of new jersey  agreed D.W. was the very first [pioneer but thesedays he's been pigeonholed as being racist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Neither Bogart nor Davis were directors...

only brought the 2 performers up because someone else posted a question of  fav actors and actresses and both were cited the most

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

If you're asking who is "the greatest director", try picking one instead of three.

 

Just like how someone makes a top ten list. And people want to add more names without removing any. :wacko:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That's all the "greatest" CAN be in these kind of threads.  And too, some might find it difficult to pick just one of those as well.  

Now, a guy upthere going by the moniker VIDORISKING votes for D.W. GRIFFITH because he's claimed to be an "innovator" .  Sure, as movie making goes, I suppose THE BIRTH OF A NATION, despite gross historical inaccuracies was innovative, but so was ORSON WELLES and CITIZEN KANE just 26 years later.  But too, remember Welles at one time claimed to be influenced and a big fan and admirer of JOHN FORD.  

But I gotta get going( vital Doc appointment soon) so I'll just post a few "favs"  ;) 

MICHAEL CURTIZ

ORSON WELLES

JOHN FORD

WILLIAM WYLER

ELIA KAZAN 

ALFRED HITCHCOCK

NOW do ya see the difficulty in this?  

Sepiatone

 

 

thanks and agree, favs vs the

 

1 minute ago, GGGGerald said:

Just like how someone makes a top ten list. And people want to add more names without removing any. :wacko:

best is often not the same thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know who is 'the greatest' but the director that directed the most films I enjoy would be William Wyler.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

If you're asking who is "the greatest director", try picking one instead of three.

Why is your second sentence in parentheses?

And what's with the asterisks everywhere?

explained the * many times since first n here & other many sites which have no problem because  at the inception of any post I tell folks * always means an Academy Award winner, tons of books do the same, that's where I got it over 40 years of collecting and reading them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spence said:

only brought the 2 performers up because someone else posted a question of  fav actors and actresses and both were cited the most

No one else posted a question. :wacko: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Don't know who is 'the greatest' but the director that directed the most films I enjoy would be William Wyler.

 

 

 

Being a *Wyler fan you probably already know his *Oscar record for most winners going to the most performances, think it's either 12 or 13 Plus the record Best Director oms with a dozen, *Scorsese called him "The Invisible Style"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

david lean

Ironically the last film I went to was the magnificent *Lawrence of Arabia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spence said:

being a *Wyler fan you probably already know his *Oscar record for most winners going to the most performances, think it's either 12 or 13 Plus the record Best Director oms with a dozen, *Scorsese called him "The Invisible Style"

Yes,  I'm aware of this (as well as all the best actor \ actress nomination).

As actresses like to say "William was very good to me!".

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us