Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

R.I.P. Ric Ocasek

22 posts in this topic

On the heels of the news about Eddie Money, I'm waking up to the sad news this morning that Cars frontman Ric Ocasek has been found dead in his townhouse at the age of 75. I believe I once read he wrote every Cars song, then decided if an individual song was more suited for him or bassist Ben Orr (also deceased) to sing lead. I know at one time he was married to supermodel Paulina Porzikova. I have no idea if that was an ongoing thing. Someone else on here can probably provide a lot more information than me, but the Cars at one time were a big part of my musical adolescence.

• Thanks 2

The last thing I wanna do is be a jerk but what does this man have to do with classic movies? I think this board has become a race to see who can post a celebrity death fastest. I’m not sure I would go on a Classic Rock message board and post that Gerard Depardieu died (by the way he is still alive).

34 minutes ago, vidorisking said:

The last thing I wanna do is be a jerk but what does this man have to do with classic movies? I think this board has become a race to see who can post a celebrity death fastest. I’m not sure I would go on a Classic Rock message board and post that Gerard Depardieu died (by the way he is still alive).

Ric appeared in the classic John Waters film Hairspray (1988) with Pia Zadora as beatnik artists. TCM lists him personally in its own data base, so it seems as though he's allowed in these hallowed halls as a subject of discussion. My favorite song was Don't Cha Stop and The Cars Greatest Hits has powered many a road trip. R.I.P., Ric Ocasek.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Ric is spelled without a K in it btw.

I was so focused about spelling the last name right, I blew the first name! I'm gonna try to edit the thread title, so everyone doesn't have to see my mistake.

1 hour ago, vidorisking said:

I probably don't have a good answer for that. I assure you I wasn't trying to beat out all my fellow posters. I don't really know when this news broke. I just heard about it seconds after getting out of bed and for some reason my first thought was to come here, where I was surprised to see no one had mentioned it yet.

Paulina made a number of films, probably most famously Anna, which earned Sally Kirkland an Oscar nomination.

download.jpg.3e87331d2d38f8f32ce27fbc677edc10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just heard this today. Sad. I can't say I was a big fan of The Cars, but I liked his "look".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vidorisking said:

Hopefully the mod moves this to chit-chat.  Note that for many folks here General Discussion is the only forum they use (or know how to use).

16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hopefully the mod moves this to chit-chat.  Note that for many folks here General Discussion is the only forum they use (or know how to use).

Well, he did co write the song "Moving in Stereo" which accompanied a very memorable scene from Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982). I won't go into detail here as this is a family site. But, when anyone around my age who hears that song, that's probably the only thing that comes to mind. In my world, he made cinematic history :D

I was and still am a big fan RIP

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vidorisking said:

He had nothing to do with "classic" movies, but this IS a "general" discussion page, so anything pertaining to entertainment gets some consideration.

Sure, perhaps this sort of news might fit better in the "Off Topic Chit-Chat" page, but that place is so overrun with the self righteous political posts( by those who can't think of anything better than to post video clips made by other self righteous prigs)  that other non-political posts manage to get located on page three or four in a matter of a few short hours.  It sometimes takes me 10 minutes or more for me to locate the "forgotten Oldies" thread in order to "bump" it to page one with  a new post.   So.....

Not a big CARS fan here either, but some tunes were pretty good.  And I had NO idea that Ocasek was that old! :o

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I probably don't have a good answer for that. I assure you I wasn't trying to beat out all my fellow posters. I don't really know when this news broke. I just heard about it seconds after getting out of bed and for some reason my first thought was to come here, where I was surprised to see no one had mentioned it yet.

Well, he did appear in Hairspray, so he's entitled!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure, perhaps this sort of news might fit better in the "Off Topic Chit-Chat" page, but that place is so overrun with the self righteous political posts( by those who can't think of anything better than to post video clips made by other self righteous prigs)  that other non-political posts manage to get located on page three or four in a matter of a few short hours.  It sometimes takes me 10 minutes or more for me to locate the "forgotten Oldies" thread in order to "bump" it to page one with  a new post.   So....

I am definitely not the first person to acknowledge the passing of a (mostly) non-movie personality in General Discussions. I easily 90 per cent of my message board time here and almost no time in Of Topic fr the reasons you mention.

Summer turns me upside down
Summer summer summer
(It's like a merry go round)

I see you under the midnight, All shackles and bows
How far will you take it?
Well no one knows

Don't let me go

I got a hold on you tonight
Oh oh it's magic
When I'm with you
Oh oh it's magic

{You know it's true}

Shackles and BOWS, eh? I always heard it as "Bones", but I suspected I was wrong. Although I don't know what "shackles and bows" are, either.

I love all those crazy Ocasek lyrics that make little to no literal sense but sound right, anyway. "Let them brush you rock & roll hair", "nuclear boots and drip-dry gloves", "who's gonna plug their ears when you scream?", etc.

• Thanks 1

Whaddaya talkin' about?! SURE there's a Ric Ocasek and The Cars connection to classic movies! Here's another one.

In the following music video, which btw won the very first MTV Music Video Award in 1984 (and one which I remember also featured who I thought was THE absolutely CUTEST young model back then) you'll see scenes of the "classic" movie Robot Monster and a recreation of a famous scene in King Kong also being featured in it...

(...R.I.P., Ric...loved your music, and still do)

• Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Whaddaya talkin' about?! SURE there's a Ric Ocasek and The Cars connection to classic movies!

At the other chat-website I'm a regular of  (the jazz guitar one),  there is thread about the passing of Ocasek.  

BUT it is in the chit-chat forum and not under "The Players".     So there! 

As for Ocasek and The Cars:  this was one of the last pop\rock bands I listened to before I went full on into jazz (and playing music more than listening to it).

Nice easy going music and melodies.    Nothing much there,,,,  but still nice on the ears.

RIP to Ric Ocasek.  Great times listening to The Cars, kept my mind off of work plenty often.  He used his quirky singing style and geeky looks to play into that beautifully.  Sad to see him go, following Benjamin Orr.  What a lot of fun their music is.

Heartbeat City was their 2nd to last album and was the height of their synth-pop sound (most of my favorite stuff they did came from here).  This album prominently featured the Fairlight CMI (large and hugely expensive sampling keyboard rig pictured below), as well as the more common Roland Jupiter 8 and Yamaha DX-7 keyboards, among others.  A LinnDrum was also used (the first programmable electronic drum to have sampled sounds of real session players playing real drums - also pictured below).  All recording studio staples of the early to late 1980s.  Album produced by Robert Mutt Lange.  Some speculate it was him playing all that, as the variety and depth of soundscape on this album hadn't been their real keyboardist's style.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/fairlight_cmi_ii.jpghttp://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/linndrum_lm2.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

At the other chat-website I'm a regular of  (the jazz guitar one),  there is thread about the passing of Ocasek.  

BUT it is in the chit-chat forum and not under "The Players".     So there! 

As for Ocasek and The Cars:  this was one of the last pop\rock bands I listened to before I went full on into jazz (and playing music more than listening to it).

Nice easy going music and melodies.    Nothing much there,,,,  but still nice on the ears.

Their "chit chat" must a bit more kept though, in order for that to occur.  Right?

28 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Their "chit chat" must a bit more kept though, in order for that to occur.  Right?

True.   The jazz guitar forum is set up really nice.    Why the moderator doesn't prevent political threads, I assume most jazz musicians don't care about discussing politics at our forum, since there are few,  if any, political threads.

Very sorry to hear this as well. I am a big Cars fan, actually seeing them in a bar before they hit it big. I was around 16 entirely illegal-woo-hoo! Same songs, too. Guys wearing red leopard spot spandex pants and leather vests with no shirt underneath was pretty drastic for then. I also saw them about 10 years later playing a stadium thinking they were so mainstream.

Ric was also in Illeana Douglas rom-com WEDDING BELL BLUES.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Heartbeat City was their 2nd to last album

Possibly nobody is aware of this, I know, but Ocasek and the rest of the Cars (minus Orr) got back together in 2011 and recorded the album Move Like This.