Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

NBCUniversal Launching Its Own Streaming Service

36 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

No Twitter link, but details here: https://news.avclub.com/nbc-s-streaming-service-has-a-name-lots-of-revivals-in-1838181107

No word on whether they might put all those Universal movies TCM rarely or never shows on there.

Universal kept a lock on its movies to try and spin off its own Fox-style movie cable channel/streaming service, which explains why we haven't seen that many Universal Orphans on streaming...Or Fox Orphans either, FTM.  (Except for the care packages of Jaws, Back to the Future and Jurassic Park franchise-bundles sent out to Netflix and Amazon for "charity".)

It's likely they'll get in the game once Warner gets HBOMax going, but like Warner, it's easier to brand a streaming service with a TV brand like NBC or HBO, than a big exclusive studio name like Warner or Universal.

I'm just responding to see whether the Autocensor will let us say "Peacock".  

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I think they mentioned the TV show The Office about 10 times in that article.

For some reason, the big Announcement War between the studio services has been over which studio has the "exclusive" reruns--The announcement quickly followed HBOMax's update that they'd be the one place to tune into "Seinfeld".

Either we're THAT desperate for vintage reruns since they disappeared off of cable (except for TBS), or a streaming generation really has never heard of DVD boxsets.

And to compete with Netflix's nostalgic "Fuller House", the 'C....er, NBC's service plans to bring us the NBC-owned nostalgia of a grown-up Punky Brewster update.  Correction, I'm going with the "desperate" theory.

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I think they mentioned the TV show The Office about 10 times in that article.

Admittedly, it is the most watched show on Netflix, so they feel it's a real coup to get it back from them.

Slightly off topic. I had to cancel Criterion Channel because of technical problems. About 80 minutes to any movie, the screen freezes. If I back it up and try again, it stops at the same place. Sometimes I can kick started by resuming ahead of the freeze point, but I have missed some of the movie. But most of the time It won't start. Can't take it any more. I've got movies I would like to know the ending. The software seems really flimsy. This is really blow a because the movies on there are great. (BTW, it's not my computer. I have an excellent extended warranty system and even get periodic tune-ups.)

////

11 hours ago, EricJ said:

For some reason, the big Announcement War between the studio services has been over which studio has the "exclusive" reruns--The announcement quickly followed HBOMax's update that they'd be the one place to tune into "Seinfeld".

For the record, Seinfeld is going to be exclusive to Netflix:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-09-16/netflix-acquires-the-global-streaming-rights-to-seinfeld

We'll need a service to tell us which streaming service will have the shows we want to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, laffite said:

I have Netflix DVDs but not streaming, not for me. I would consider another streaming service but i don't know anything about Amazon Prime or Hulu. Any recommendations? Mainly interested in foreign, old classics (TCM type) stuffy British dramas. I don't care for mass appeal blockbuster type movies with well-known actors. The bore the hell out of me.

Hulu's stock and trade is current network reruns, for those who cut the cable--There's the usual repertory stock of movies that play the other services, and even a few surprises that show up now and then (mostly from Disney's ownership), but you have to be more interested in last night's NBC than in movies.

Amazon Prime is in love with its own programming at the moment, but the real fun is the fact that Amazon, being a seller at heart, streams whatever's not nailed down.  For those who like pot luck, or used to browse the back shelves of those little independent mom-and-pop VHS rentals to see how forgotten a title they can find, Amazon is the service that brings that experience back, and you literally never know what rare public-domain ephemera you can dig up on a late night.  Also, since Amazon is in the selling business, they also offer the new splinter "sub-channels" that let you in on Showtime or Britbox (the BBC/ITV all-stuffy-British-drama service) or Broadway or Shudder's channels, etc., for a small extra fee, for those who want extra commitment.  I'm guessing most people with Prime subscribed for the free mail shipping for their Blu-ray disks, and just started watching it as a free bonus when Netflix wasn't showing anything interesting?

PlutoTV, which is free-with-ads, has become my new go-to, which is a series of Viacom cable channels, Paramount/MGM Orphan movies, Shout Factory rarities, online Internet channels, and other public-domain ephemera, organized as themed mock "cable" channels broadcasting on schedule, rather than on demand.  It's amazing how much those of us raised on old-school TV miss the experience of sitting down and flipping channels to find something randomly airing at that moment, as a preliminary opening act, before getting down to the evening's entertainment.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, laffite said:

Slightly off topic. I had to cancel Criterion Channel because of technical problems. About 80 minutes to any movie, the screen freezes. If I back it up and try again, it stops at the same place. Sometimes I can kick started by resuming ahead of the freeze point, but I have missed some of the movie. But most of the time It won't start. Can't take it any more. I've got movies I would like to know the ending. The software seems really flimsy. This is really blow a because the movies on there are great. (BTW, it's not my computer. I have an excellent extended warranty system and even get periodic tune-ups.)

////

What about your connections? Using coaxial cable direct to a cable box then to a TV or wifi? 

Could be a buffering problem. I cast to my TV. I've noticed that if I'm casting from my computer and I have a lot of tabs open on the screen if i start scrolling it will freeze the stream on the TV. it's as if scrolling a screen uses enough large amounts of memory to screw things up. If I cast from my phone and just leave it streaming to the TV while I use my lap top I have no problems. I'm not a technical guy but I suspect that using too much data through a wifi must create some type of bottleneck. The program signal is going from the cable to the wifi to the laptop (where I'm controlling in my case Sling TV) back to the wifi them to the TV. If I cast from my phone I may be going straight from a cell tower to the phone to the TV.  There might be a limit to the amount of data a particular wifi device can handle.

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

Amazon Prime is in love with its own programming at the moment, but the real fun is the fact that Amazon, being a seller at heart, streams whatever's not nailed down.  For those who like pot luck, or used to browse the back shelves of those little independent mom-and-pop VHS rentals to see how forgotten a title they can find, Amazon is the service that brings that experience back, and you literally never know what rare public-domain ephemera you can dig up on a late night.

Correctamundo! Its fun and a nice surprise to find a title that you think you'd have to buy and see it steaming free on Amazon Prime. I usually check sites like Youtube, Internet Archive, rarefilm, and others I found a new one the other day called HDFlex just searching for a title. I'll also break down and actually rent something If I want to see it badly enough. Heck, three or four dollars a title is a lot cheaper than going to a multiplex and it's something I want to see not something I'm dropping ten or twelve dollars for and taking a chance on.

4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

What about your connections? Using coaxial cable direct to a cable box then to a TV or wifi? 

Could be a buffering problem. I cast to my TV. I've noticed that if I'm casting from my computer and I have a lot of tabs open on the screen if i start scrolling it will freeze the stream on the TV. it's as if scrolling a screen uses enough large amounts of memory to screw things up. If I cast from my phone and just leave it streaming to the TV while I use my lap top I have no problems. I'm not a technical guy but I suspect that using too much data through a wifi must create some type of bottleneck. The program signal is going from the cable to the wifi to the laptop (where I'm controlling in my case Sling TV) back to the wifi them to the TV. If I cast from my phone I may be going straight from a cell tower to the phone to the TV.  There might be a limit to the amount of data a particular wifi device can handle.

I watch via a desktop computer with Wifi. No TV involved (I don't have one). I close all programs. It I try to navigate to a part of the movie, it may be okay but it will freeze shortly. Trying to navigate results in continuous buffering or a moving picture that will freeze  shortly. I haven't actually tried to wait it out but it goes on quite awhile so I conclude it is stuck. I find that if I want to view a movie I must not navigate. Just put it on and let it go to the end. Thankfully, I can pause and unpause without problems. As mentioned above, if I'm watching a movie and it freezes, trying to back it up and trying again results in a freeze AT THE VERY SAME FRAME every time. If I try to resume by jumping ahead, I will miss some of the movie and there is no guarantee that will not freeze again. Often though, trying to jump ahead results in continuous buffering, no resumption at all. Maybe I should wait out a buffering sequence. It would not be acceptable if it took a long time but if it comes back on eventually then indicated would be a buffering problem, maybe. Any ideas based on this information? Thanks, Joe.

More ...

This morning I went to an aborted movie from  yesterday and started over with it. It automatically jumped to where it left off, then proceeded to play for three seconds, freeze for three seconds, and over and over like that for about two minutes and apparently would continue after that.

Then I started a new movie at random that I have not tried to play yet, and it started and proceeded naturally for about two minutes and I paused it and opened a new browser window to post this. Presumably it work for awhile, but for how long? Ha.

Okay, enough ... thanks ... let me know if you have any ideas. I should say that my computer is overall is functioning well and is not slow that I can see. I recently had NefF and the everything worked perfectly.

///

I would contact them. There are way too many variables to diagnose. I could make a number of suggestions with no guarantees.

It took a while, but I found this:

I still need help! How do I contact you?

You can reach our customer service department by sending an email to: channelhelp@criterion.com

Please note that emails are answered Monday to Friday during business hours ET. Please include your name and e-mail address with your questions or comments.

3 hours ago, laffite said:

I watch via a desktop computer with Wifi. No TV involved (I don't have one). I close all programs. It I try to navigate to a part of the movie, it may be okay but it will freeze shortly. Trying to navigate results in continuous buffering or a moving picture that will freeze  shortly.

Not sure if there's some nagging non-conscience reason why you don't have a TV (small apartment, sharing?), but if you're willing to forego large screens or 4K, a Smart TV screen in the 40-50"'s will often have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and/or YouTube already native-installed, for good few hundred less than they were selling back when I had to buy one.  ☹️

(Although the in-TV Smart apps in my '13 Panasonic all became obsolete some five years ago, leaving me with nothing but Amazon and the weather, while my Playstation 3 serves as the streaming set-top-box for most of the big channels with freshly updated software.  I'd wondered about getting an AppleTV or Roku back when we were waiting for a Filmstruck app, but that's not a problem anymore.)

4 hours ago, laffite said:

I watch via a desktop computer with Wifi. No TV involved (I don't have one). I close all programs. It I try to navigate to a part of the movie, it may be okay but it will freeze shortly. Trying to navigate results in continuous buffering or a moving picture that will freeze  shortly. I haven't actually tried to wait it out but it goes on quite awhile so I conclude it is stuck. I find that if I want to view a movie I must not navigate. Just put it on and let it go to the end. Thankfully, I can pause and unpause without problems. As mentioned above, if I'm watching a movie and it freezes, trying to back it up and trying again results in a freeze AT THE VERY SAME FRAME every time. If I try to resume by jumping ahead, I will miss some of the movie and there is no guarantee that will not freeze again. Often though, trying to jump ahead results in continuous buffering, no resumption at all. Maybe I should wait out a buffering sequence. It would not be acceptable if it took a long time but if it comes back on eventually then indicated would be a buffering problem, maybe. Any ideas based on this information? Thanks, Joe.

So if you don't disturb it, it will usually be able to play through to the end?  This sounds like a key piece of info.

Given that, I'd wonder if you have the absolute latest and greatest version of whatever browser you use.

4 hours ago, laffite said:

More ...

This morning I went to an aborted movie from  yesterday and started over with it. It automatically jumped to where it left off, then proceeded to play for three seconds, freeze for three seconds, and over and over like that for about two minutes and apparently would continue after that. 

I can do this with Youtube if I Pause a video in the browser, leave that up, and then interrupt the network stream - such as hibernate my machine (which partially powers it down).  When I resume the machine later on, with the Youtube video still open and paused in the browser window as I left it, I click on Play.  It plays for a second or two, halts, then continues.  That is because it is playing previously stored content, then it reestablishes connection and then fetches more from the network.  So there is an interruption happening.

Most of this stuff works at browser level.  That and you seemed to confirm it is website-specific (other streaming sites work fine).  So I would start by looking at the browser version you have.  Then check online to see what the latest version is.  Also look at Criterion's system requirements page to see which browser/version you need and other potential add-ons/software.  This particular streaming service might require the newest stuff on your end, or maybe something a little different.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Not sure if there's some nagging non-conscience reason why you don't have a TV

Not sure what that means exactly. I wonder if it's possible to say that I am not into TV-culture with sounding like a TV snob. Probably not, but i don't consider myself one. TCM is the only channel I would watch with regularity, outside of maybe some sport events although I have long begun to  think of sports as being frivolous. Baseball, my perennial fave, has become a Home Run Video Game. I've never owned a flat-screen TV but that's interesting they have those extra perks, but I wouldn't go into that kind of money just for that. If you buy a flat-screen you still need cable, right? Too much money, and then I spoiled enough from the past to require a DVR. No, the Criterion Channel, plus Netflix DVD mailing service, and free stuff on Youtube would be just fine ... it I can get damn channel to work.

7 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

So if you don't disturb it, it will usually be able to play through to the end? 

No. A movie will play from about an hour to an hour and a half and then freeze. After that happens, the whole experience becomes a nightmare. You can't get to the end without protracted buffering or chronic freezes. I've even tried rebooting the computer, but nothing.

A glimmer of hope. I broke out my laptop, dormant for some time. and have gotten through a movie without mishap (I updated everything, including Firefox, Cri-Channel approved). It therefore may be a computer-specific problem. Although, i wanted to play the end of the movie again, it started a buffering sequence that would not end so i gave up.

Thanks all, I'll keep trying. I cancelled rather precipitously last night following a fit of pique, but I have until the 24th on this pay cycle. I can always re-up if I can straighten things out. Wish me luck. The Cri channel is like a dream come true. I have to find a way.

///

23 minutes ago, laffite said:

I've never owned a flat-screen TV but that's interesting they have those extra perks, but I wouldn't go into that kind of money just for that. If you buy a flat-screen you still need cable, right?

Nnn-noo, not really:  There was a lot of confusion about that in 2008, when the FCC changed over from analog broadcasting to digital broadcasting on the free channels, and those with "old" sets had to get a digital converter to continue receiving signals if they got their channels over the air rather than cable.

If you live in an area where you can get the regional channels over the air, though (I don't ☹️), most channels in the eleven years since have been broadcasting digital, which requires a digital set.  That doesn't necessarily mean "HDTV flatscreen", but since those are the only sets being made nowadays, they're common enough to be the same price as regular box TV's were back in the 90's.  Just that flat sets can now reach all sorts of screen sizes, but if you're conservative in your requirements for viewing, there's still plenty in the affordable price range.

The cheaper ones don't come with the "perks", of course, but a basic attachable Roku, Fire or AppleTV box device with all the subscription streaming services can be found at Best Buy for about $50-$99...Plus the subscription of your choice, of course.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, laffite said:

Not sure what that means exactly. I wonder if it's possible to say that I am not into TV-culture with sounding like a TV snob. Probably not, but i don't consider myself one. TCM is the only channel I would watch with regularity, outside of maybe some sport events although I have long begun to  think of sports as being frivolous. Baseball, my perennial fave, has become a Home Run Video Game. I've never owned a flat-screen TV but that's interesting they have those extra perks, but I wouldn't go into that kind of money just for that. If you buy a flat-screen you still need cable, right? Too much money, and then I spoiled enough from the past to require a DVR. No, the Criterion Channel, plus Netflix DVD mailing service, and free stuff on Youtube would be just fine ... it I can get damn channel to work.

No. A movie will play from about an hour to an hour and a half and then freeze. After that happens, the whole experience becomes a nightmare. You can't get to the end without protracted buffering or chronic freezes. I've even tried rebooting the computer, but nothing.

A glimmer of hope. I broke out my laptop, dormant for some time. and have gotten through a movie without mishap (I updated everything, including Firefox, Cri-Channel approved). It therefore may be a computer-specific problem. Although, i wanted to play the end of the movie again, it started a buffering sequence that would not end so i gave up.

Thanks all, I'll keep trying. I cancelled rather precipitously last night following a fit of pique, but I have until the 24th on this pay cycle. I can always re-up if I can straighten things out. Wish me luck. The Cri channel is like a dream come true. I have to find a way.

///

Okay.  Well that is the most obvious thing at least.  I'd be willing to look further into it via PM.

44 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Okay.  Well that is the most obvious thing at least.  I'd be willing to look further into it via PM.

That is most kind. Really, I appreciate that. Let's see what happens. I launched a detailed message to Criterion last night but have had no response so far. Not sure what to expect from that quarter. If the laptop messes up I can contact ATT about WiFi connection. Thank you for being available.

13 minutes ago, laffite said:

That is most kind. Really, I appreciate that. Let's see what happens. I launched a detailed message to Criterion last night but have had no response so far. Not sure what to expect from that quarter. If the laptop messes up I can contact ATT about WiFi connection. Thank you for being available.

That sounds good.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:16 AM, Ray Faiola said:

I didn't see Olsen & Johnson mentioned ANYWHERE in that press release!!

...anything can happen and it probably will! Hellzapoppin!

• Haha 1