Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

There Is A Second Photo Of Justin Trudeau In Brownface

48 posts in this topic

There Is A Second Photo Of Justin Trudeau In Brownface

By now we have all seen the photos of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in brownface from a school yearbook and in blackface from his high school days. Canadaland publisher Jesse Brown has asked why no Canadian media had found these before — and there really is no excuse, other than that we thought we already knew everything there was to know about Justin Trudeau, who’s been a celebrity since the day he was born.

I earned notoriety in the last Canadian election for being an independent blogger who was able to dig into the social media pasts of candidates, several of whom were forced off the ballot because of it. But I never looked into Trudeau, and not because I was particularly supportive of him. (I’ve written a detailed criticism of him in the pages of The Walrus.) But because he was a lifelong celebrity, I’d no sooner look into his background than I would the backgrounds of Prince William or a Kennedy — people about whom all is apparently known.

With the first revealing brownface picture, though, it made me understand that I knew far less about him than I thought. So I took a second — or maybe a first, critical — look at Trudeau’s past, which is when I discovered an as-yet-unseen photo of him in brownface from the April 2001 newsletter of the Vancouver private school at which he taught. It had been freely available online via the Wayback Machine for the past decade and a half.

If Canadians vote this guy back into office next month, then they are a bunch of hypocrites.

Trudeau's Arabian Knights costume and brownface act was a thoughtless and stupid attempt on his part to have "party fun" 18 years ago. It shows poor immature judgment by him at the time. But it doesn't show him to be a racist because there is no pattern of racist behaviour in this man's life.

On the other hand . . .

If Canadians vote this guy back into office next month, then they are a bunch of hypocrites.

The moral indignation of a poster who makes no secret of his dislike of Trudeau and uses this incident to disparage him while at the same time turning a blind eye to Donald Trump's countless life time acts of racism (which he continues to do as President of the United States, enabling white supremacists throughout the nation in the process) reeks of hypocrisy.

• Thanks 1

Seems Jagmeet Singh, leader of the third-place New Democratic Party, is offended because Trudeau wore a turban. :wacko:;)

0012b514-614.jpg?ratio=1.77

being-offended-so-hot-right-now-%F0%9F%9

16 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Even Trudeau likes to have fun sometimes. Who would have guessed? :lol: 

Even Trudeau? You obviously don't know much about either him or his athletic father.

Here's a pair of shots of the two of them together.

MAC43_WELLS_CAROUSEL01-1024x576.jpg

TRUDEAUS04.jpg

Well I have to give CNN credit for their balanced "news" reporting by listing this not-even-worth-reporting "news" related to Trudeau.     Their caption under what was a current picture of him (that appeared to be darken),  made it appear the racist photo was taken in the last week!  

My mother bore me in the southern wild,

And I am black, but O! my soul is white; :) 

WONDER HOW LONG IT'LL TAKE SOME GROUP OF HOLIER-THAN-THOU SELF RIGHTIOUS AZZH-OLES TO GO AFTER "TACO" FOR USING BLACKFACE IN THIS VIDEO FROM 1982 LOL...oh my!!

Mr Trudeau the vetting committee has found you unsuitable for a Liberal candidate position, you may leave now and by the way ,thank you for your donation....

Obviously the vetting process failed.  The Liberals wanted to win badly in 2015 and believed Trudeau would lead the party to victory.

goat.jpg

1 minute ago, noah80 said:

Mr Trudeau the vetting committee has found you unsuitable for a Liberal candidate position, you may leave now and by the way ,thank you for your donation....

It doesn't work that way. You either support Trudeau and the Liberals or vote for one of the alternatives. That's the problem for many Canadians disappointed in Trudeau, the alternatives.

22 minutes ago, noah80 said:

Obviously the vetting process failed.  The Liberals wanted to win badly in 2015 and believed Trudeau would lead the party to victory.

goat.jpg

I'm not sure if you're joking but the photo was a joke for a costume party and no worse than something you would see in a movie on TCM. Plus I doubt Trudeau will resign over this.

57 minutes ago, TomJH said:

It doesn't work that way. You either support Trudeau and the Liberals or vote for one of the alternatives. That's the problem for many Canadians disappointed in Trudeau, the alternatives.

Funny,  but here in the states the above is like this:

It doesn't work that way. You either support Trump and the GOP or vote for one of the alternatives. That's the problem for many Americans disappointed in Trump, the alternatives.

(but not me since I'm in the anyone-but-Trump camp).

38 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm not sure if you're joking but the photo was a joke for a costume party and no worse than something you would see in a movie on TCM. Plus I doubt Trudeau will resign over this.

I would hope Trudeau doesn't resign over these photos.    

1 hour ago, noah80 said:

Actually the vetting process didn't fail since victory is the name of the game. Under Trudeau the Liberals went from third party status to a majority government victory (with  a lot of Trump supporters despising him since he stands as a liberal poplar opposite to Trump when it comes to values and inclusiveness. Look, for example, at all the women in his cabinet. Why else do you think some Trump supporters on these boards are now gloating over Justin's political problems? Normally most Americans don't have a clue who is the Prime Minister of Canada).

K65FX7SQ2VD3JFBOCZ2E5JVUM4.JPG

Trudeau and Obama have maintained a friendship since Obama left office. I have to wonder how Obama feels about the brownface/blackface photos.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, noah80 said:

.....now minus two women (expelled) Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott

True.

one opinion from CNN (it makes you wonder how Pierre and Margaret Trudeau did raise their kids?)

Trudeau's blackface exposes the truth: Canada is no racial haven

For Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, blackface is a mere obstacle to overcome in his campaign run after receiving rebukes this week for darkening his face several times in the past. But for the millions of black, Indigenous and other people of color in Canada, this is far more than a simple scandal. Blackface is a reminder that people of color are still considered to be 'characters' instead of equal and full human beings.

To put on blackface is to be contemptuous of other people's pain. To take on the appearance of one's skin, but none of the suffering endured as a result of racism, makes a mockery of our experiences. It demeans who we are as people. And the infuriating reality is that Canada's denial of its own racism, the very same racism present in the overwhelmingly white, elite and privileged spheres where Trudeau apparently learned that blackface was acceptable, makes it impossible to change in any meaningful way.

As a child, I was taught that Canada was a country of freedom, multiculturalism and diversity. But as I grew up in the streets of Toronto, my material realities and experiences did not match that narrative. Police brutality, overrepresentation in foster care, astronomical expulsion rates in Toronto and an overrepresentation in Canadian federal prisons overall are all a part of what it means to be black in Canada. Yet, when I describe these realities to people, they immediately associate these qualities with the US. Living in America has brought home for me just how pervasive this myth -- that the racism embodied in blackface is an American problem -- has become.

And no one embodies the myth of Canada as a racial haven more than Trudeau. The way he presents himself and the way he practices his policies and politics are not consistent.

One Trudeau is an international darling. Across North America and abroad, he is seen as the feminist, diversity-championing, bhangra-dancing, Ramadan-celebrating Liberal Party leader of the north who is the polar opposite of President Donald Trump, and a dig to the perpetuity of American injustice.

The other Trudeau is one very different from the pristine bastion of justice he presents himself to be. This Trudeau had a few people of color, but no black people in his original cabinet and has only appointed one since, despite the urgent need for more black leadership in Canada. This Trudeau recently made a sarcastic remark to Indigenous activists and apologized for it. This Trudeau cannot definitively give a count on how many times he's worn blackface.

The thing with blackface is that it is always intentional. The choice is part of the privilege. Trudeau, despite his apologies since the photos of him came to light, chose to do blackface. The consequences of that choice, however, will be felt most by people who don't look like him. People who, too often, do not get to choose. People who will have to endure unsolicited remarks on their complexion in their places of worship; people who suddenly find themselves locked into furious debates on the merits of Trudeau at work, and arguments on whether or not racism is even real from people who have never picked up a book on racial justice and who certainly weren't taught about it in any meaningful way in the Canadian educational system. Kids, who are still developing a sense of identity, will suddenly be made to carry the tremendous weight of racism as they are forced to make the impossible decision between betraying who they are to fit in, or being alienated and broken-hearted.

Despite the hideousness of racism, there is a persistent notion that we should get over it and move on. That is what Trudeau and much of Canada seem ready to do. Move on. Trudeau may feel that he has apologized for this wrongdoing and that should be enough. But what we need now is action. Canada can no longer pretend to be perfect any more than Trudeau can, and Canadians must decide what kind of country they are behind the mask.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/21/opinions/trudeau-blackface-canada-no-racial-haven-khan/index.html

Trudeau shouldn't resign over this, if he does sure don't have a backbone.

Canada has the same racial issues as the United States which included segregation that was phased out about the same time we did.  

876dbb1e-74e3-4cfe-b961-a6d31d296fd6.jpg

islamaphobia770.jpg

He is getting so embarrassing, tbh': The downfall of Canada’s dreamy boyfriend

Melissa J. Gismondi: Sorry, Americans. As Canadians living in the U.S., we tried to tell you: Justin Trudeau is not all he's cracked up to be

“He is getting so embarrassing, tbh.”

That was the text I woke up to this morning from a Canadian friend who, like me, has been living in the United States. She was talking about Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and yesterday’s Time magazine bombshell report that he once wore brownface to an “Arabian Nights” party while a teacher at a private school in Vancouver in 2001. (Since Time’s story broke, other instances of Trudeau in blackface and brownface have surfaced, including a video.)

My friend was referring to how Trudeau is seen on the world stage, but especially in the United States, a country that had a tendency to pretend that Canada didn’t exist until Trudeau came along. And her text encapsulated a distinction I’ve noticed in how Americans have been receiving this story compared with Canadians. For Americans, Trudeau’s downfall from liberal media darling — remember Rolling Stone’s 2017 cover, “Why can’t he be our president?” — to disgraced politician has been swift. For Canadians, it has been a long time coming.

It all started back in 2015 when Trudeau won a surprising majority victory over the longtime Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper. He cozied up to then-President Barack Obama, and the two young, charismatic world leaders had what the press affectionately called a “bromance.”

But south of the border, excitement over Trudeau didn’t really reach its zenith until November 2016. Before that, the prime minister, with his self-described feminism and his openness to Syrian refugees, had cast himself as Canada’s answer to the charismatic and cosmopolitan liberalism of the Obama years. Now, however, for American liberals, he was no longer cute kid brother but foil: Trudeau offered the perfect juxtaposition to the crassness of Donald Trump. Every detail, from his luxurious hair to his stylish socks, seemingly served to emphasize their differences.

It was in this spirit that Rolling Stone put Trudeau on its cover and Vogue did a sultry photo shoot with him and his wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau. Talk of “Canadian exceptionalism” made the rounds — the idea that while the United States was imploding, Canada was a beacon of hope in a world gone mad. It was a sentiment echoed by pundits on both sides of the border: Adam Gopnik wrote an essay in The New Yorker reminding Americans, “We could have been Canada,” while Stephen Marche, writing in the Toronto-based publication The Walrus, called Canada “the last country on Earth to believe in multiculturalism.”

On the world stage, things were bright. But back home, the love affair with Trudeau, for those who ever had one, was short-lived.

Characteristically for politicians, it started with a failed promise. In early 2017, the Trudeau government announced it wouldn’t be pursuing electoral reform, despite making it a major part of the Liberal Party platform. (The reforms were part of a broader effort to make Canada’s parliamentary system proportionately representative.)

Then, in 2018, Trudeau made one of his most shocking moves: purchasing the Trans Mountain Pipeline, which runs from Alberta to coastal British Columbia, as part of an expansion project to increase capacity and add portions of new pipeline. Coming from a prime minister who said he was committed to green energy and tackling climate change, the move angered environmentalists and some Indigenous nations who oppose the pipeline, including those who had supported Trudeau.

Trudeau’s public image as a liberal feminist committed to gender equality also took a hit with the more recent affair involving the Montreal-based engineering firm SNC-Lavalin. The details of this evolving and very Canadian political scandal are difficult to explain. But in brief, it started with allegations that Trudeau’s office tried to interfere in then-Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould’s investigation into the firm. The important part, for Trudeau’s brand, is that following the resignation of Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, a former Treasury Board president, from Trudeau’s cabinet, the prime minister kicked them out of his party. For many, this was a shocking way to treat two of his most prominent female allies, including the country’s first Indigenous justice minister.

In Canada, these developments, as well as a host of others, have changed how liberals see Trudeau. He is far less popular than he was in 2015, a leader despised on the right and often ridiculed on the left.

These stories, though, rarely made a stir in the United States. Occasionally, I’d see articles alluding to Trudeau’s troubles. Recently, Hasan Minhaj’s Netflix series “Patriot Act” featured an episode with Trudeau, in which he uncomfortably answers questions about the gap between his image and his policies. But overall, the American story of Trudeau as a “dream politician for the left,” as Minhaj put it, stuck. Until now, that is.

There are two ways this story will be understood, depending on which side of the border you’re on.

For many Americans, the story connects Canada to what’s often seen as a deeply ingrained American tradition: blackface. Down here, Trudeau’s brownface and blackface episodes are bursting the Canadian exceptionalism bubble. Slowly but surely Americans are learning we Canadians can be just like you: very, very racist.

For Canadians, though, the story is different. It also has bigger stakes, coming as it does in the middle of a federal election that has seen the Liberals and Conservatives neck-and-neck in the polls. It’s the latest in a series of scandals that have led many liberals to grow disillusioned and, yes, even flat out embarrassed by Trudeau.

Sorry, Americans. As Canadians living in the United States, we tried to tell you: That dude you thought was your dreamy boyfriend? He’s not all he’s cracked up to be. And like you, we’re wondering, as Jagmeet Singh, leader of Canada’s New Democratic Party and the first person of color to lead a major party, put it: “Who is the real Trudeau?”

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/he-is-getting-so-embarrassing-tbh-the-downfall-of-canadas-dreamy-boyfriend

socks.png

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wearing his son's socks  at the annual Economic Forum meeting on Jan. 25, 2018 in Davos, Switzerland

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, noah80 said:

socks.png

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wearing his son's socks  at the annual Economic Forum meeting on Jan. 25, 2018 in Davos, Switzerland

Either he has feet small as Fred Astaire's or his son is Bigfoot. :lol:

Hadrien.jpeg?wwKq.LeHjmAuYRyRnfmLuYZ8xXt

How Was Trudeau Impacted By Blackface Scandal? Depends On Which Poll You Choose

Liberals, Conservatives tied for support in wake of Trudeau blackface scandal, poll finds

“Despite their proliferation in the media, the pictures of the prime minister haven’t severely impacted the Liberals yet,” said Lorne Bozinoff, president of Forum Research.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/09/22/liberals-conservatives-tied-for-support-in-wake-of-trudeau-blackface-scandal-poll-finds.html

How did Canadians react to Trudeau's blackface photos? With a big meh, polls find

Forty-two per cent of those polled by Abacus Data said they weren’t really bothered by seeing the prime minister in brownface and blackface

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/how-did-canadians-react-to-trudeaus-blackface-images-with-a-big-meh-polls-suggest

Trudeau campaigns after blackface images deliver blow to polling numbers

The day before the pictures emerged, “the Liberals were at or very close to a majority” in the House of Commons, Graves said. “That’s completely turned around and maybe the Conservatives are in majority range now.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/trudeau-campaigns-after-blackface-images-deliver-blow-to-polling-numbers