TheVFM

How long is Ava Duvenay going to be on The Essentials?

146 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Ava DuVernay says her Netflix series is ‘the biggest thing I’ve ever done’

NBC’s Lester Holt sits down with director Ava DuVernay to talk about her unique career trajectory, how she feels about accomplishing so many “firsts” and her new Netflix series “When They See Us.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/ava-duvernay-says-her-netflix-series-is-the-biggest-thing-i-ve-ever-done-59614277887

Does this mean she doesn't consider working for TCM a big thing..?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only essential movies are the ones that are rarely played by TCM. If you miss them then you won't see any until the next supreme court justice comes along. Meaning the dreck they program that has 30 plus showings is not an essential, because you can essentially see it anytime. How many North by Northwest airings have their been? Over 111. Yes, that's right. ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN.

TCM needs to learn how to program using a checklist. Once they play a movie, it gets dropped to the bottom and the next movie comes up. EVEN OUT THE FREQUENCY. It that too hard to ask for?

PS I almost died laughing when I saw what they were playing for disabilities night. It was Freaks, Hunchback and bride of Frankenstein. Did Dr. Kevorkian program those?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Not sure what you mean about the frame rate, but that sounds interesting.  Could you go into some depth and describe a bit more?

I suspect JonasEB is referring to the image problems that I gave an example of in the thread discussing the premiere of the Virginia Bruce film There's That Woman Again:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/260596-virginia-bruce-summed-it-all-up-perfectly/?tab=comments#comment-2041540

Since then I've seen other examples including the premiere of That's My Boy broadcast on Sept. 13.

The common factor seems to be these are recent TCM premieres and there must be some inferior source or bad preparation method for presentation on TCM.  It's almost as if there's a 2nd scan of the movie where multiple frames are partially combined together.  Things look mostly OK for still scenes but whenever the camera pans horizontally the background objects become distorted.

Not all of the TCM premieres have had this issue - Blue Denim and High, Wide, and Handsome were recent premieres that were very good - so it seems to be on a case-by-case basis.

But I don't mean to speak for another so I hope JonasEB will give further details of his issue.  (In addition, this discussion is probably better suited for a different message thread, so excuse me for adding details here.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

I suspect JonasEB is referring to the image problems that I gave an example of in the thread discussing the premiere of the Virginia Bruce film There's That Woman Again:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/260596-virginia-bruce-summed-it-all-up-perfectly/?tab=comments#comment-2041540

Since then I've seen other examples including the premiere of That's My Boy broadcast on Sept. 13.

The common factor seems to be these are recent TCM premieres and there must be some inferior source or bad preparation method for presentation on TCM.  It's almost as if there's a 2nd scan of the movie where multiple frames are partially combined together.  Things look mostly OK for still scenes but whenever the camera pans horizontally the background objects become distorted.

Not all of the TCM premieres have had this issue - Blue Denim and High, Wide, and Handsome were recent premieres that were very good - so it seems to be on a case-by-case basis.

But I don't mean to speak for another so I hope JonasEB will give further details of his issue.  (In addition, this discussion is probably better suited for a different message thread, so excuse me for adding details here.)

On the surface that just sounds like artifacts from interlacing, which breaks down the easiest with horizontal panning.  I'll have a closer look at That's My Boy as a reference.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Does this mean she doesn't consider working for TCM a big thing..?

I would not expect her to consider her TCM experience comparable to her Netflix Series even if she considers the TCM job a "big thing".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

The only essential movies are the ones that are rarely played by TCM. (snipped) Meaning the dreck they program that has 30 plus showings is not an essential, because you can essentially see it anytime.

TCM needs to learn how to program using a checklist. Once they play a movie, it gets dropped to the bottom and the next movie comes up. EVEN OUT THE FREQUENCY. It that too hard to ask for?

So now definitions revolve around one source? A TV station? 

I think you're being facetious, but just in case you're not, most of us are using "essential" referring to the cream of all movies, not just this station's offerings.

I understand your frustration about "repeats" but the movies TCM can broadcast are limited by availability & contract. For example, Universal won't rent titles to TCM because they have their own outlet; the Svengoolie show on ME-TV.

Paramount movie holdings are broadcast on Pluto-TV, a Viacom station. If TCM wants to show PAPER MOON or HAROLD & MAUDE they have to rent a movie "package" from Viacom which will have one A list title like Paper Moon and 3-4 lesser titles grouped in, like for example The Town That Dreaded Sundown. Viacom may require 3 broadcasts in one month of Sundown and only allow one broadcast of Paper Moon. (this is why TCM has Underground) With all the mergers, IDing who owns what can be confusing.

I'm sure the Disney packages are the most expensive/restricting. Eff Disney, let them show their own stuff, it's a huge money drain for TCM. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thenryb said:

I would not expect her to consider her TCM experience comparable to her Netflix Series even if she considers the TCM job a "big thing".

Especially since she had to film all of her Essential wraparounds in one day because of her schedule, instead of the typical 3/4 days of filming. The Netflix series probably took months and months and months of work, and I imagine the actual subject of that show is more significant to her. Definitely not comparable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with MovieMadness and understand TikiSoo is correct.

That said, maybe TCM should get use to showing what they have the rights to. Eventually, they may not have a choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is Stewart being billed as TCM first black female host?  Supposedly making "history"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, cigarjoe said:

gamble of course, and of course spell check wouldn't catch it.

Trade ya!  

MY computer's spell check  puts that annoying squiggly red line even under words I spell correctly!  But to be fair to your spell check----

You didn't spell GAMBOL incorrectly, and spell check doesn't look for incorrect usage;) 

Sepiatone

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

she's PC at present & again why no Leonard Maltin &especially Bogdanovich

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amount the cinephile history both more so  Peter would bring such a huge amount to the table after 52yrs or so involved in it.  & what book has she sold vs. him (TRIVIA When a very young Cybril Shepard used to be with them, she still saysthey went to so manyfilms she'd fall asleep a lot

He always rated Hawks over*Ford though

Fans mayrecall him on he Sopranos, same went for Sinatra, Jr-(l944-2016) as imsef too

 

Anyone else ever have thiserror occur when trying to type?

 

strange thing is it can o without months not happening-(self editing, deleting,etc) &then, wham  Takes all twice as klong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

For example, Universal won't rent titles to TCM

Ugh I apologize...I should have said Universal packages may be cheaper or more expensive depending on who's renting.

 

3 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

maybe TCM should get use to showing what they have the rights to. Eventually, they may not have a choice.

Originally when Ted Turner formed TCM, he owned most of MGM's library so everything he broadcast was free. But then you know how corporations sell off a chunk so they can be paid for renting what they previously owned...Who knows who owns what these days?

And with all those whining about what stations show, "too many REPEATS!" what's a station to do?

12 minutes ago, spence said:

why no Leonard Maltin &especially Bogdanovich

Maltin has retired from working in front of the camera. I love Bogdanovich & would love to see him hosting on TCM. But I know many dislike his smarminess and especially his ascot-both which I lurve-too funny!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Trade ya!  

MY computer's spell check  puts that annoying squiggly red line even under words I spell correctly!  But to be fair to your spell check----

You didn't spell GAMBOL incorrectly, and spell check doesn't look for incorrect usage;) 

Sepiatone

can we switch the weather to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Besides my own views &such, I could easily name at least  half ad dozen others hat would be marvelous for the ob

 

 

Bognaovich, Maltin, WinonaRyderhe (just adoresclassic fulm &TCM!), If no to busy at 82 either *Morgan Freeman, but the mt.summit would be *Scorsese!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Maltin has retired from working in front of the camera. I love Bogdanovich & would love to see him hosting on TCM. But I know many dislike his smarminess and especially his ascot-both which I lurve-too funny!

I would welcome a host wearing an ascot! 

I just watched Bogdanovich's Buster Keaton documentary which he also narrated. I thought the documentary was fantastic and he did an excellent job with the narration as well. I also thought it was interesting that Dorothy Stratten's sister, Louise, co-produced the documentary with Bogdanovich.  Are they still married?

I haven't seen many of Bogdanovich's films. I've seen Paper Moon which I loved. I have What's Up Doc? and The Last Picture Show recorded. I want to see The Cat's Meow

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't recall the last time a thread critical of one of the on-air TCM people lasted this long. Maybe the Powers That Be share some of your sentiments. Or maybe it's simply that DuVernay was a one-and-done deal (seeing as someone mentioned that she filmed all of her intros/outros in a single day months ago), so they don't have to worry about "offending" her.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I can't recall the last time a thread critical of one of the on-air TCM people lasted this long. Maybe the Powers That Be share some of your sentiments. Or maybe it's simply that DuVernay was a one-and-done deal (seeing as someone mentioned that she filmed all of her intros/outros in a single day months ago), so they don't have to worry about "offending" her.

Maybe she put all the cold cuts from the craft services table in her purse when filming was done.

 

42 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I would welcome a host wearing an ascot! 

I just watched Bogdanovich's Buster Keaton documentary which he also narrated. I thought the documentary was fantastic and he did an excellent job with the narration as well. I also thought it was interesting that Dorothy Stratten's sister, Louise, co-produced the documentary with Bogdanovich.  Are they still married?

I haven't seen many of Bogdanovich's films. I've seen Paper Moon which I loved. I have What's Up Doc? and The Last Picture Show recorded. I want to see The Cat's Meow

TARGETS (1968) is an AMAZING FILM. One of my 10 favorite movies of the 1960s.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TARGETS (1968) is an AMAZING FILM. One of my 10 favorite movies of the 1960s.

Your taste in movies never ceases to amaze me. I would have expected you to "HAAAAAATTTEEE" that movie (I like it, too).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Your taste in movies never ceases to amaze me. I would have expected you to "HAAAAAATTTEEE" that movie (I like it, too).

Oh, not at all!!!!

It’s been too long since I last saw it, and I seriously doubt (because of the subject matter) that TCM will air it anytime soon, but if they do please let me know right away.

It is a major film for horror fans because to me it signifies the crossover of real life, real world HORRORS with the classic Make believe HORRORS of the past. 

Plus Karloff makes a damn good action hero!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Originally when Ted Turner formed TCM, he owned most of MGM's library so everything he broadcast was free. But then you know how corporations sell off a chunk so they can be paid for renting what they previously owned...Who knows who owns what these days?

And with all those whining about what stations show, "too many REPEATS!" what's a station to do?

10 movies per day/365 days per year. Let me guess. TCM owns way more than 3600+ movies. If one movie played only once per year, would be happy like a pig in new mud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It’s been too long since I last saw it, and I seriously doubt (because of the subject matter) that TCM will air it anytime soon, but if they do please let me know right away.

I watched the trailer. Not sure any channel would want to play it today. I would not watch it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I would welcome a host wearing an ascot! 

I just watched Bogdanovich's Buster Keaton documentary which he also narrated. I thought the documentary was fantastic and he did an excellent job with the narration as well. I also thought it was interesting that Dorothy Stratten's sister, Louise, co-produced the documentary with Bogdanovich.  Are they still married?

I haven't seen many of Bogdanovich's films. I've seen Paper Moon which I loved. I have What's Up Doc? and The Last Picture Show recorded. I want to see The Cat's Meow

No, I think they split up years ago....(if that's the same sister).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us