TheVFM

How long is Ava Duvenay going to be on The Essentials?

146 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I watched the trailer. Not sure any channel would want to play it today. I would not watch it.

I'd watch it. Sounds like Frankenstein versus Anders Breivik. :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I watched the trailer [for TARGETS (1968)]. Not sure any channel would want to play it today. I would not watch it.

I'm not a fan of movie trailers from the mid-sixties to seventies because they give too much about the movie away as a habit and THE VOICEOVERS!

SNICKER IF YOU WILL, but I think a modernized, stylized, ambiguous trailer for TARGETS could be done and scored with the following-

(I sometimes kinda wish tcm would dabble in modernized trailers of classics with more recent songs, plus this one just matches the story.)

tragets-vlcsnap-00024-2.jpg

• Like 1

Somebody loves to sync up as many shots as possible from the "(Fill in the month) on TCM" feature as literally as they can with the lyrics of that month's song.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

But I know many dislike his smarminess and especially his ascot-both which I lurve-too funny!

Michael Richards did a hilarious take off on Bogdanovich on Seinfeld. Ascot and all....

14 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Michael Kramer did a hilarious take off on Bogdanovich on Seinfeld. Ascot and all....

I kinda sorta think there is something to the FAN THEORY that POLLY PLATT was the real secret to BOGDONAVICH'S SUCCESS...Which has a really sound basis in fact: EXHIBIT A: AT LONG LAST LOVE!

19 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

PS I almost died laughing when I saw what they were playing for disabilities night. It was Freaks, Hunchback and bride of Frankenstein. Did Dr. Kevorkian program those?

It's more than just those, but I guess if they're going to provide some chronological examples, films didn't exactly exhibit tons of sensitivity about many types of people back in the day.

Saturday nights mean wait until 11:00 pm so I can watch Noir Alley which is consistently entertaining AND interesting.   Eddie Muller is a fantastic host!

Sorry, but, in general, The Essentials are now just dull, depressing films that no one would choose to watch on a dare.  Saturday night’s show was the worst yet.  A pair of dismal films that were chosen only on the basis of the director being a woman.  That is it!  

The Essentials?   I don’t think so!   

***BRING BACK SCORCESE OR EVEN ALEC BALDWIN!***

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's more than just those, but I guess if they're going to provide some chronological examples, films didn't exactly exhibit tons of sensitivity about many types of people back in the day.

I noticed they're showing Best Years of Our Lives because one of the plots is about an amputee victim of war. Another good one to program that I like would have been the Big Parade (though he only loses his leg near the end).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but Michael Richards, who played Kramer?

My bad - fixed

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

TCM owns way more than 3600+ movies

Um, Ted Turner sold the MGM movie library and TCM separately decades ago. TCM is just a station now. I wonder if they have to rent public domain movies? I'm guessing NBNW is PD.

15 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Not sure any channel would want to play it today. I would not watch it.

Re: the movie Targets. This old chestnut has shown on TCM in the past and surprised a few regular viewers, as if they had never heard of it before. It's actually a very clever first effort for Bogdanovich, only horrifying subject matter-which is Bogdanovich's point.

It involves a family slaughter similar to IN COLD BLOOD but the PTSD purp then goes on to randomly shoot people driving on a highway and then parked at a drive in theater (cars kill?) These shootings have become too common over the past few decades, making Targets offensive and unwatchable to sensitive viewers.

Targets was released in 1968 and immediately brought the eerily similar 1965 CA Highway 101 rampage shooter to mind for many. So I guess there's no way to avoid comparison....and that's really the POINT of the movie which redeems it. The climax is when Karloff, a classic horror actor says something to the effect, "The real horror is out there" meaning US culture.

• Thanks 1

I've watched some of the Essentials this season. Does anyone have a listing of Ben's picks vs. Ava's picks. I'm really curious to see who picked what film.

I saw Jeanne Dielman when TCM aired it and made myself sit through the whole thing waiting for something to happen. I regret not fast-forwarding through it like many of you.

It looks like the new WarnerMedia owns the former Turner library. I don't know what that really means. You may be correct TikiSoo. I suppose TCM might need to lease titles from WarnerMedia.

I do not favor violent movies or TV shows. I remember seeing the movie Heathers. It you compare it to real life, it isn't just a movie.

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Um, Ted Turner sold the MGM movie library and TCM separately decades ago. TCM is just a station now. I wonder if they have to rent public domain movies? I'm guessing NBNW is PD.

Re: the movie Targets. This old chestnut has shown on TCM in the past and surprised a few regular viewers, as if they had never heard of it before. It's actually a very clever first effort for Bogdanovich, only horrifying subject matter-which is 's point.

It involves a family slaughter similar to IN COLD BLOOD but the PTSD purp then goes on to randomly shoot people driving on a highway and then parked at a drive in theater (cars kill?) These shootings have become too common over the past few decades, making Targets offensive and unwatchable to sensitive viewers.

Targets was released in 1968 and immediately brought the eerily similar 1965 CA Highway 101 rampage shooter to mind for many. So I guess there's no way to avoid comparison....and that's really the POINT of the movie which redeems it. The climax is when Karloff, a classic horror actor says something to the effect, "The real horror is out there" meaning US culture.

Mixed feelings about Bogdanovich. I like Paper Moon and The Last Picture Show, an episode of Fallen Angels (a noir/hard-boiled Miniseries from HBO) and not much else directorial-wise. Targets was his debut and it's a bit uneven.

He comes off a bit opinionated and pompous in some of his writings, he's in a way like an early prototype of Tarantino without his style. He had a encyclopedic memory for scenes from Classic Hollywood similar to what Tarantino had for Westerns, Spaghetti Westerns and Kung Fu/Samurai flics. 

"(Bogdanovich had) the ego & bravura to bluff his way through a few projects which recycled the best bits from the golden oldies he treasured.

According to Peter Biskind's excellent book on '70s Hollywood, Bogdanovich apparently spent lots of time sitting on his couch, watching old movies on TV while he sucked on fudge-sicles and tossed the licked-clean wooden sticks over his shoulder behind the furniture." (Concorde- SLWB)

"In Oreste de Fornari's book 'Sergio Leone, the Great Italian Dream Of America', there is a section where Bogdanovich describes working with Leone which is very amusing. For example  Leone and Bogdanovich would meet for discussions about the story and Leone  

"would begin each new sequence with a rush of English and much acting, all of which he did in the middle of the room accompanied by dramatic gestures. "Two BEEEG green eyes?", he would usually begin, one hand leveled above his eyes, the other below to indicate what we would be seeing on the screen".

According to Bogdanovich, him and Leone fell out when Bogdanovich said he didn't like close-ups! He says he left the film just before Leone was about to fire him. Leone found another Italian  director [not named] to take Bogdanovich's place, but after two weeks Steiger and Coburn demanded that Leone direct it himself." (Jon - SLWB)

"Unlike Leone, he NEVER showed any real originality or vision, although the two share a love for homage and visual quotations of earlier classics."(Concorde- SLWB)

Bogdanovich quit Duck You Sucker before any film was shot. He went off the rails for some reason, I'm not interested in finding out why.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

It looks like the new WarnerMedia owns the former Turner library. I don't know what that really means. You may be correct TikiSoo. I suppose TCM might need to lease titles from WarnerMedia.

I do not favor violent movies or TV shows. I remember seeing the movie Heathers. It you compare it to real life, it isn't just a movie.

For me, Heathers is just a movie.  It's a dark comedy.  The ending of the film is so over the top with Winona Ryder emerging from the explosion covered in soot, smoking a cigarette, is pretty funny. Heathers is an extreme version of Mean Girls, imo. 

I think Heathers is funny.  I like the cast of Ryder, Shannen Doherty, and Christian Slater.  I can see why this film wouldn't be for everyone, but I personally don't have any issue with it. 

On 9/23/2019 at 2:04 AM, cmovieviewer said:

I suspect JonasEB is referring to the image problems that I gave an example of in the thread discussing the premiere of the Virginia Bruce film There's That Woman Again:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/260596-virginia-bruce-summed-it-all-up-perfectly/?tab=comments#comment-2041540

Since then I've seen other examples including the premiere of That's My Boy broadcast on Sept. 13.

The common factor seems to be these are recent TCM premieres and there must be some inferior source or bad preparation method for presentation on TCM.  It's almost as if there's a 2nd scan of the movie where multiple frames are partially combined together.  Things look mostly OK for still scenes but whenever the camera pans horizontally the background objects become distorted.

Not all of the TCM premieres have had this issue - Blue Denim and High, Wide, and Handsome were recent premieres that were very good - so it seems to be on a case-by-case basis.

But I don't mean to speak for another so I hope JonasEB will give further details of his issue.  (In addition, this discussion is probably better suited for a different message thread, so excuse me for adding details here.)

I PM'd you with a test case.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I PM'd you with a test case.

I'm interested in this too.  Did you figure out what the problem was?  I only saw it on those 2 movies, both from Columbia.  Did maybe Sony prepare them badly for TCM?

Yikes.......

are they ACTUALLY re-airing "Warm December" as an ESSENTIAL??  :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Web50 said:

I'm interested in this too.  Did you figure out what the problem was?  I only saw it on those 2 movies, both from Columbia.  Did maybe Sony prepare them badly for TCM?

Still looking into it.  In short I don't think this is anything new, it just occurs in varying degrees - from the imperceptible to the obvious.  I still need to rule some best-case scenarios where it apparently doesn't happen, but still might.  This takes some time.