Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

Julie Andrews to Receive AFI Lifetime Achievement Award

8 posts in this topic

good scoop buddy  sadly, duvall, Hopkins, sarandon deserved it more   they blew it with 0'toole and others

and can anyone fathom they snubbed cary grant with the annual award and chaplin

On 9/21/2019 at 5:36 AM, spence said:

good scoop buddy  sadly, duvall, Hopkins, sarandon deserved it more   they blew it with 0'toole and others

You may be too young to remember how big and how important Julie Andrews was in the film industry. Her great and diversified Talent deserves to be honored.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 5:36 AM, spence said:

This dinner is a fund raiser and the honoree needs to be willing to participate. That might be why some people are honored while others are not. 

Yes, they actually have to show up, which is why Katharine Hepburn never received the award (she did, however, attend the Kennedy Center Honors).  I love Julie Andrews, but I’m a bit surprised by the choice because she’s not American (the only other non-American actor I remember being honored is Sean Connery, although one of the directors honored was David Lean) and because of her age.  She’s definitely one of the oldest honorees, I think.  She doesn’t have as long a filmography as most (though Barbra Streisand has been in even fewer films, I think), though obviously it’s a matter of quality over quantity.