Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Joe Buck's AM/FM radio

25 posts in this topic

okay all you big wup cinema experts...

what brand and model?

and what about that orange juice commercial.

:D

a few months from now we'll all be coughing like that due to global warming, right?

:lol:

10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

a few months from now we'll all be coughing like that due to global warming, right?

:lol:

Nah, kids are already coughing and wheezing from vaping :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What local radio around here is playing today, was playing when that movie was released.

• Like 1

I own several portable transistor radios, but only listen to my floor model similar to this pictured. I get an appropriate "oldies" station on FM, and surprised there are even AM stations available. 

fd87985fdfbd05eacf2fa13b92654eb2.jpg

• Like 3

I can't for sure peg the make of Buck's radio, but think it might be some kind of old SONY. They made a lot of those things back then.  My next guess would be a PHILCO.

Sepiatone

On 9/20/2019 at 10:47 PM, NipkowDisc said:

okay all you big wup cinema experts...

what brand and model?

and what about that orange juice commercial.

:D

OHMIGOD it says ZENITH right on it-top right corner. It says AM/FM to the left of the logo. 

Here's a similar model on ebay, in case you're interested: s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zenith-45-AM-FM-Transistor-Portable-Battery-Radio/333300354912?hash=item4d9a3fcf60:g:PpMAAOSwFQhdWapj

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I can't for sure peg the make of Buck's radio, but think it might be some kind of old SONY. They made a lot of those things back then.  My next guess would be a PHILCO.

Sepiatone

just need the model.

12 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I own several portable transistor radios, but only listen to my floor model similar to this pictured. I get an appropriate "oldies" station on FM, and surprised there are even AM stations available. 

fd87985fdfbd05eacf2fa13b92654eb2.jpg

Those older floor radios had such great reception is because of the large AM loop antenna glued to the radio back cover.  The large surface area gathered more of the signal.

Even table top units had a much better antenna than the crappy rod antennas one see's in more modern radios.

fwpk9yxgdvzf4ti_large.jpg

Does your radio have a Magic Eye tuning indicator?  Even by today's standards, that is the neatest, coolest thing!

9687174b874dc0faae0a52a3d15fb0e5.jpg

I have 4 test equipment which uses them.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

file.php?id=90751&sid=21796e9d63d42490d9

Noticed the total transistor complement is 9 by which the FM section will use 1/4 of them.  I built an AM (alone) which uses 8 transistors. Best little portable I ever had! 

vintage-science-fair-transistor_1_e7f1fa

• Like 1

I received as a gift an Admiral AM/FM/Cassette in 1969.  Still can't find a photo of it.  Must had been one rare bird. :(

One of the most beautiful radio's Zenith ever made, D7000 Transoceanic. Was too expensive for me at the time.

Zenith_Trans-Oceanic%20Royal%207000-1.jp

• Like 2

bring back the ole AM loop antennas. question, I have a reproduction of an old vintage wooden tabletop radio from the 1930s / 40s

a real cloth grille and a bracket around the frequency dial.

has a Philco model 70 cathedral cabinet.

think it has a loop antenna, hamradio?

I have it stored in a closet somewhere in a box.

got it back in the late 1980s.

Image result for vintage 1930s superheterodyne radio reproduction

https://www.wshu.org/post/radio-great-depression-part-ii#stream/0

it's probably a reproduction of this.

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

bring back the ole AM loop antennas. question, I have a reproduction of the old vintage wooden tabletop radios from the 1920s or 30s.

a real cloth grille and a bracket around the frequency dial.

think it has a loop antenna, hamradio?

I got it stored in a closet somewhere.

got it back in the late 80s.

If you are referring to those plastic cabinet replicas, it has the same cheap circuit with a ferrite rod antenna

There were CD's during the 1930's? :lol:

51vy6006LJL._SX425_.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

no, mine has a real wooden cabinet and looks remarkably like the image I posted.

I haven't looked at mine in decades because it's stored away so I can't tell you about it's guts.

maybe you're right I doan know.

I've had so many radios in my life.

hadda beautiful pocket transistor radio mid-60s in a leather case.

then I had this really adorable little AM pocket radio it was very small and compact. some kid intimidated me into giving it to him on the school bus.

said he'd give it back.

it was an archer with a yellow plastic body and metallic speaker grille.

:)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I haven't looked at mine in decades because it's stored away so I can't tell you about it's guts.

maybe you're right I doan know.

I've had so many radios in my life.

hadda beautiful pocket transistor radio mid-60s in a leather case.

then I had this really adorable little AM pocket radio it was very small and compact. some kid intimidated me into giving it to him on the school bus.

said he'd give it back.

it was an archer with a yellow plastic body and metallic speaker grille.

:)

So happens the Science Fair transistor radio has a leather carrying case.

1972-science-fair-portable-radio-kit_1_0

That photo is not my model radio, just a random picture. My radio has a pull out turntable in it too.

My brother was district manager for Radio Shack 60's-90's and the family received some of the best consumer gifts. We have 2 of these which sound just great:

il_570xN.759693474_muhd.jpg

I always thought the great, full sound was because of the wooden cabinet. I've often wanted to set this radio with a timer as an alarm radio-so less jarring than that harsh tinny sounding clock radios.

Was at an estate sale yesterday and there was a table of ugly 50's-60's radios for $75 each. Guess the prices of 30s-40s Bakelite radios made them think any old radio's a goldmine. I love the antiques business, you can always spot the inexperienced.

Again(and I don't know why) a lot of y'alls "images" don't show on my PC.    I feel too much like I'm missing out.  Anyway.....

The oldest radio I remember growing up with was the tabletop model( don't remember the maker) Mom kept on the kitchen counter.  I was a painted rose wooden body with a white bakelite grille in a waffle pattern.  AM only.  My earliest personal radio( all my own!) was a Silvertone pocket transistor radio no bigger than a pack of cigarettes. With that tiny earphone that made anyone walking down the street listening to the radio through it like they were carrying a HEARING AIDE (the tiny "in the ear" devices common now not yet available).  :D  Years earlier, my brother had the REMCO "radiocraft" crystal radio( no. 106).  A blue plastic job that required no batteries or outlet to plug into.  It had a "headphone" with only one ear sized "speaker" for one ear only, and for reception you clamped a small alligator clip to the metal frame in your home's window and your entire house was the antenna.  My brother, being a selfish mutha, I'd wait until he was asleep and take the crystal radio out of the place he thought he was hiding it and listen to it until the "wee" hours.  I quickly learned how AM signals could travel many miles in those hours, and would tune into stations far away as Philadelphia, St. Louis and Chicago, where I heard music that sounded a lot like the rock'n'roll I'd hear on the radio in the kitchen.  And at that young age( 'round 6 or so) could tell the records were by "colored" guys.  And the DJ kept saying the radio station was:. "Your place in Chicago for the BLUES."  And the guys on the records had such cool sounding names, like "B.B.", "Muddy",  "Lightnin' ", "T-Bone", "Gatemouth" and such.  It was only dumb luck that my brother didn't wake up in the morning and find me sound asleep in a chair next to the bedroom window with that "headphone" on my head.  But that was about the time I became what's now been a 60+ years long blues fan!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

If Buck hadn't been a Texas hick he might have tuned into WNEW-FM instead of Cousin Brucie.