calvinnme

Lists of unavailable films

65 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, alleybj said:

I have Electric Dreams on PAL Blu Ray from Amazon UK. 

Why it pays to have a region free player or one that can be "hacked".  Was able to download the region change software for my JVC DR-MV150 recorder to change it's Region 1 to 0. Can now play any foreign DVD.

This is a region free player

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S3500-100-240-European-Adapter/dp/B017MQ3IHG

I saw Electric Dreams when it opened and LOVE it.  The one that was going to catapult Virginia Madsen into super-stardom.

They should release it without the Culture Club songs, so long as it has Moroder's Electric Dreams, The Duel and Helen Terry's Now You're Mine, one of the greatest, unheralded songs from the 1980s.

18 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

I saw Electric Dreams when it opened and LOVE it.  The one that was going to catapult Virginia Madsen into super-stardom.

They should release it without the Culture Club songs, so long as it has Moroder's Electric Dreams, The Duel and Helen Terry's Now You're Mine, one of the greatest, unheralded songs from the 1980s.

You CANNOT release Electric Dreams without Culture Club (it's too tied into the plot).  Or Jeff Lynne's "Video" either, so there.

And besides, I was just giving an example--It might have been the Giorgio Moroder songs, which rights-limbo kept his 1984 Metropolis off of disk for years.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:48 AM, hamradio said:

Why it pays to have a region free player or one that can be "hacked".  Was able to download the region change software for my JVC DR-MV150 recorder to change it's Region 1 to 0. Can now play any foreign DVD.

This is a region free player

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S3500-100-240-European-Adapter/dp/B017MQ3IHG

Not disputing the value of having a region-free DVD player, they are most certainly useful for most users. 

In my case though having a spare computer optical DVD drive set to desired foreign region was good enough, as DVD transports for computers were cheap, even though they had a preset amount of region changes possible.  [Most likely possible to reset counter, or set region to zero with a USB microcontroller and/or specialized software, or even just with a Raspberry Pi using its I/O headers, but that is beyond the scope here.  Maybe there are even region 0 optical media transports available online.]  PAL/NTSC/SECAM being irrelevant on a computer was key though. 

A PAL-compatible videocassette player wound up in my collection though, being that simple videocassette transports weren't a thing for computers.

FWIW, probably not much...  :D

P.S. that thing you linked to looks like an interesting piece.

I have two DVD players: an NTSC and a PAL. I also have a Mac superdrive which is now dedicated to PAL. I sometimes like to connect my laptop or even phone via HDMI cable to my television. So many possibilities these days. There is a great opera website which I like to watch, connecting my phone to my television. If I use the YouTube feature on the TV, it's too unstable.

This is a great site for anyone who loves opera:

https://operavision.eu/en/library/óperas

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

You CANNOT release Electric Dreams without Culture Club (it's too tied into the plot).

I saw this on first release, I remember liking it, it was a treat having Bud Cort as the voice of the computer. However my favorite thing about it was the Culture Club songs, they were my favorite group of the 1980s.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Given the also available copies of The Keep, Let It Be and Little Darlings, I have strong doubts.   But--like those who went in search of Roger Corman's "Fantastic Four", Disney's "Song of the South" or "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park"--some grass-roots movie fans know when to knock on the Internet-fan-devotee door and tell them Joe sent you for the ice delivery.

Not that we responsible folks ever would, mind.  👼

(Back when it was still in limbo, I remember one gray-market fan who painstakingly bootleg-recreated "Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis" in detail from the VHS soundtrack and clips from Kino's ultra-restored Complete version of the original Lang...Now that was true dedication.  👍  Actually ended up better looking than the legit version we later got on Blu-ray, but such things were only temporary to heal wounds.)

Here's another one in limbo somewhere :

VILLAGE TALE   with Randolph Scott (1935 ) RKO Radio

There are a lot of films that were destroyed forever in fires.

There was a film I saw as a kid called The Chartroose Caboose its a film for kids and railfans.

Chartroose Caboose Poster

Trivia - Due to a fire in one of Universal Studio's film vaults that destroyed both the negative and prints of this film, it is considered a lost film. (what else was destroyed?)

Though the original Panavision negative and prints were believed lost in a Universal vault fire, there exists a black and white copy of the film which is in the hands of a collector. It was taken from a worn 16mm film print. There is also a 2 minute color Panavision wide-screen trailer in existence, the only known color reference material for this "lost" film.

also

There are a lot of cheap grindhouse films that had their ten-twelve day runs and are still sitting in storage in some film vault someplace, a lot of these titles are in limbo until somebody pays the storage bill or until they are hauled off to a landfill to make more rooms on the shelves.

4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

There are a lot of cheap grindhouse films that had their ten-twelve day runs and are still sitting in storage in some film vault someplace, a lot of these titles are in limbo until somebody pays the storage bill or until they are hauled off to a landfill to make more rooms on the shelves.

Mike Vraney and Something Weird video used to do a great job finding and rescuing those grindhouse obscurities. Since Vraney died, I'm not sure how much preservation work is being done. AGFA, the American Genre Film Archive, has released some titles in conjunction with Something Weird, as well as some with Bleeding Skull (which specializes in shot-on-video horror of the 80's and 90's). Some of their work has been shown on TCM Underground.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 5:56 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Some others  that are not on DVD or Blu-Ray (some are in streaming):
The Royal Family of Broadway (1930)
The Big Pond (1930)
The Dark Angel (1935)
Roseanna McCoy (1949)
The Mating Season (1951)
I Want You (1951)
Beware My Lovely (1952)
The Rat Race (1960, streaming for free currently at Amazon)
The Pleasure of His Company (1961)
My Six Loves (1963)
Penelope (1966, airing on TCM this week)
Angel in My Pocket (1969)
The Happy Ending (1969)
Limbo (1972)
Citizens Band/Handle with Care (1977)
Daniel (1983)
Compromising Positions (1985)
Macaroni (1985)
Zelly and Me (1988)

Would love to own The Mating Season with the great Thelma Ritter stealing the show.  I Want You, in my opinion, was a total yawn.

Twice in the past I've requested that TCM show the 1944 comedy-mystery "Nine Girls" released by Columbia.  Both times the movie was scheduled and even appeared in their Now Playing guide.  Each time the movie was replaced with no explanation.  Another film I would like to see again is Warner Bros. 1950 version of "The Glass Menagerie" with Gertrude Lawrence, Jane Wyman, Arthur Kennedy and Kirk Douglas.  Both deserve a DVD release.