spence

Even if you already hate him, or don't, what did Woody Allen do so wrong?

146 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I have a friend that's really into Ghost BC. I've never seen them or heard much by them. They seem like fine fellows, though.

Ghost-Band-2016-e1491472927733.jpg?fit=6

They’re actually not too bad. I appreciate that the lead singer actually sings and doesn’t just scream. I like their “Mummy Dust” and “Dance Macabre” songs. When I went a couple weeks ago, I actually got a tour shirt. I figured that I might as well since I’ve seen them 4 times. Anytime they come to Oregon we have to go. My husband was actually considering seeing them in SF when they did a tour not including Portland. They ended up adding more dates though. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It's sad when you see a couple of any age where one person wants to be the social butterfly, the other wants to be a homebody.  One half of the couple wants to live lavishly. The other wants frugality.

I loved your post....especially expressing "sadness" observing incompatible couples. Guess that's really the reason I've been so judgmental of Woody's behaviour.

I was married to a man almost 20 years older and while I was excited to go out & discover the world & everything life offers, he'd say, "Eh, been there, done that." So of course, I think of Soon Yi & Woody in similar terms and feel sad for her. It seems like she's missing out on regular emotional development. But hey, that may have come just from being a celebrity's child.

It's funny because Mr Tiki & I are complete opposites-he's super social, I'm anti-social and it works out great- he's the life of the party and I can retreat in a corner with food/wine and enjoy vicariously! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I loved your post....especially expressing "sadness" observing incompatible couples. Guess that's really the reason I've been so judgmental of Woody's behaviour.

I was married to a man almost 20 years older and while I was excited to go out & discover the world & everything life offers, he'd say, "Eh, been there, done that." So of course, I think of Soon Yi & Woody in similar terms and feel sad for her. It seems like she's missing out on regular emotional development. But hey, that may have come just from being a celebrity's child.

It's funny because Mr Tiki & I are complete opposites-he's super social, I'm anti-social and it works out great- he's the life of the party and I can retreat in a corner with food/wine and enjoy vicariously! 

There's the old expression "opposites attract".

20 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

Woody's movies are often about men obssessed with  women who are taboo in some way, a sister-in-law, a very young woman, a best friend's girl friend

So true. I hadn't quite realized that. The sister-in-law thing was a downer for me. I'm not overly squeamish but Michael Caine's sliminess was extremely distasteful to me (which means he is a good actor). Adultery with your wife's sister is particularly odious. 

20 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

I'm not worried about people like Beethoven. 

Did someone mention Ludwig prior? If so, I'm surprised. Usually, in the composer's corner it's Wagner who gets a rap for being a jerk. I'm not sure Ludwig was such a bad fellow.

6 minutes ago, laffite said:

Did someone mention Ludwig prior? If so, I'm surprised. Usually, in the composer's corner it's Wagner who gets a rap for being a jerk. I'm not sure Ludwig was such a bad fellow.

The depiction of him in "Immortal Beloved" is probably the most well known so that is probably why he's considered that way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'll retreat in the corner and eat food and sip wine with you. We can sit in silence together. Lol. 

I'm not anti-social per se, but sometimes, it can be exhausting mingling. There's something to be said for being to sit comfortably in silence, alone.  There's also something to be said for a couple who can spend time being together, quietly while both work individually on his or her hobbies.  If a couple cannot sit together in silence without having to feel like they have to entertain one another, I wonder how comfortable the couple really is with one another. 

I also would be frustrated with the "been there, done that" type attitude.  Why can't you do it again so the other person can experience it? Geez. Sometimes too, if I really want to do something and my husband really doesn't, or his schedule doesn't line up with mine, I'll just go do whatever by myself. It's not a big deal. I'll go to the Fathom events alone on occasion. You're in a movie, you shouldn't be talking anyway. Lol. 

I think couples can be incompatible when one has FOMO (fear of missing out) and the other is indifferent.  It can be frustrating for the person who feels like life is passing them by.

I think my whole point in this is that life is too short to be with someone who makes you unhappy.  If you can't make yourself happy, who really can?

8 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

The depiction of him in "Immortal Beloved" is probably the most well known so that is probably why he's considered that way.

Beethoven dealt with deafness and personal demons and was known for having a truculent way but he is not generally signaled out having been of that group of despicable characters who have committed heinous acts. I don't remember the movie that well (even if Ive ever viewed it) so I won't argue with that except to caution what everyone already knows. Beware what a movie will tell you about history and biography.

18 hours ago, laffite said:

No, my mistake. I looked back and it was Mozart who Miss Wonderly mentioned, asking if I would quit listening to him, and I mixed them up.  My brain only remembering "some composer." I haven't heard anything bad about either one.  Sorry Beethoven, didn't mean to start gossip about you.

I'm not a big cancel culture person, people can go to all the Woody Allen movies they want and watch all the Cosby reruns they like.  There's just a point where I give someone up if the sight of their face starts to make me shudder a little bit.  That's both of those men, for me.

• Like 1

If all Mozart did was write to a few naughty letters, he is being rankly abused. Charlie Chaplin was much worse.

• Thanks 1

I see this thread is still around, kind of surprised. i have mulled offering my "hot take" on this for risk of it being both humblebragging and too much info- but i feel like sharing, so here goes:

I am 41 years old and I belong to a gay dating website.

(I'll give you all a moment to pick your jaws up off the floor)

I am also single and, to be honest, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA levels of lonely.

I am also- much to my surprise- apparently not completely hideous (it's an effort) and, as such, I get a lot of attention from younger men, which shocks me as again- 41 here.

I have, in my time there been pursued by quite a few guys who have purported to be less than 21 years old- in one memorable case aggressively BY AN 18 YEAR OLD! and in another- quite temptingly- and always my answer is A FIRM NO.

There are just certain things that even though you can do them, it is REALLY JUST EFFED UP ON ALL SORTS OF LEVELS, and getting involved with someone who is not 21 or older (and even up to 25, you're running a risk) when you are over 30 is absolutely and completely unethical and unambiguously selfish, reckless and WRONG- there is NO WAY the power dynamic is even and there is NO WAY that it can be healthy OR HAVE A GOOD OUTCOME.

So, yeah- from someone who has it wiggled in their face CONSTANTLY and is starving like a dog, but still has the moral fortitude to put a HELL TO THE "NO" BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO- YES, YES WHAT WOODY (AND ANY OTHER GUY OVER 30 WHO IS STICKING THE BLOCKS TO SOMEONE UNDER 21) DID IS WRONG.

IT IS AND WAS AND WILL ALWAYS BE WRONG.

DO NOT TRUST THEM, AND DO NOT EVEN LEAVE THEM ALONE WITH THE CAT FOR FIVE MINUTES.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I see this thread is still around, kind of surprised. i have mulled offering my "hot take" on this for risk of it being both humblebragging and too much info- but i feel like sharing, so here goes:

Hide contents

I am also- much to my surprise- apparently not completely hideous (it's an effort) and, as such, I get a lot of attention from younger men, which shocks me as again- 41 here.

I have, in my time there been pursued by quite a few guys who have purported to be less than 21 years old- in one memorable case aggressively BY AN 18 YEAR OLD! and in another- quite temptingly- and always my answer is A FIRM NO.

There are just certain things that even though you can do them, it is REALLY JUST EFFED UP ON ALL SORTS OF LEVELS, and getting involved with someone who is not 21 or older (and even up to 25, you're running a risk) when you are over 30 is absolutely and completely unethical and unambiguously selfish, reckless and WRONG- there is NO WAY the power dynamic is even and there is NO WAY that it can be healthy OR HAVE A GOOD OUTCOME.

So, yeah- from someone who has it wiggled in their face CONSTANTLY and is starving like a dog, but still has the moral fortitude to put a HELL TO THE "NO" BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO- YES, YES WHAT WOODY (AND ANY OTHER GUY OVER 30 WHO IS STICKING THE BLOCKS TO SOMEONE UNDER 21) DID IS WRONG.

THANX!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

No, my mistake. I looked back and it was Mozart who Miss Wonderly mentioned, asking if I would quit listening to him, and I mixed them up.  My brain only remembering "some composer." I haven't heard anything bad about either one.  Sorry Beethoven, didn't mean to start gossip about you.

I'm not a big cancel culture person, people can go to all the Woody Allen movies they want and watch all the Cosby reruns they like.  There's just a point where I give someone up if the sight of their face starts to make me shudder a little bit.  That's both of those men, for me.

Yeah you hit it 100% look at all the legendary musicians, painters & writers who were 10 times worse at least then the little guy

o also somewhat study Hollywoods WOF. though a lot of their choices & non choices are a bit of a joke  Did they dig up O.J. & Cosby's star, somebody should know I'll never forget the daily war going on over trump's WOF-Star

A few heavyweights still don't have one  MADONNA for example & Springsteen   Recipient like AFI award must be present & she hates Hollywood because of how they treated her in the very beginning-(around age 19-23) Gee, where are those guys now? though she's a mass of contradiction & on one nigt had her image lit up taking up one side of THE ROOSEVELT  But she got rid of her Tinsel-Town home in 09, sold it to her brother-(of 7 siblings) for over 4m. obviously her money anyway & now that Bruce has finally broken into the movies with a docu Western stars,still don't see him accepting a star, maybe?  Meg Ryan fir some strange reason still has nada & it goes without saying woody has nothing either or ever will, like in *Annie Hall to say the least not a fan of LA  (PS. ever remember yet another hilarious bit in it when he went to order something to eat in Hollywood & just said "I'll Have a Plate of Mashed Yeast" unquote

On 10/3/2019 at 10:26 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

i have mulled offering my "hot take" on this for risk of it being both humblebragging and too much info

Nothing surprising there Lorna, no one would accuse you of subtlety. And I agree with you 100%, a mature person whose had experience in relationships is doing the kindest thing by just not getting involved with youngsters-no matter how tempting.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 5:58 AM, TomJH said:

What a delight! She was  probably the best of many (or at least a good few they must have done). Most stenographers would probably not have allowed themselves to be so honest with their opinions. I'm surprised he didn't look her up and put her in one of his movies.

(I was worried for awhile that this might be a scam, that she was a professional actress.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 10:26 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Reveal hidden contents

DO NOT TRUST THEM, AND DO NOT EVEN LEAVE THEM ALONE WITH THE CAT FOR FIVE MINUTES.

Interesting.  I've often mentioned( and in this thread too) that my wife was 10 years my senior.   At first it bothered her more than it ever bothered me.  And essentially, she had the energy and propensity for curious exploration of somebody 10 years my junior.   It isn't the age of somebody that matters as much as what kind of person that somebody is.  Like my younger daughter....

I often thought( and still think) of her in terms of how PETER BAILEY in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE considered his son GEORGE ("You were born older").  And in relation, my wife, while not really immature, was in ways younger than some people half her age.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Interesting.  I've often mentioned( and in this thread too) that my wife was 10 years my senior.   At first it bothered her more than it ever bothered me.  And essentially, she had the energy and propensity for curious exploration of somebody 10 years my junior.   It isn't the age of somebody that matters as much as what kind of person that somebody is.  Like my younger daughter....

I often thought( and still think) of her in terms of how PETER BAILEY in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE considered his son GEORGE ("You were born older").  And in relation, my wife, while not really immature, was in ways younger than some people half her age.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Sep-- So true. My mother always said I I was born old. So, now old age seems normal to me. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2019 at 5:58 AM, TomJH said:

This reminds me of another such thing ... not Candid Camera though. Was it Buster Keaton? Sitting at a soup counter with a camera trained on him. He is cutting up, saying strange things, spilling soup everywhere, all for the benefit and reaction of this young woman sitting beside him. She watches him with much discretion with fleeting furtive glances, raises her hand to her mouth in mild dismay, laughs out loud a couple of times, not knowing what make of it all. She was an English girl and had a sort of sweet Georgy-Girl look to her. I liked her too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

That is beautiful. 

Your wife was a lucky lady to have found someone who understood and appreciated her as much as you.

• Thanks 1