UMO1982

JUDY BOMBS

166 posts in this topic

I'm an eternal Judy Garland fan, so my newsfeed has been full of this junk for weeks. It's becoming like spam.

When I heard, more than a month ago,  that she was singing the music herself oh, I realized there was no reason for me to be interested in this mess at all. I haven't seen an ego like that since a movie about Bobby Darin called  "Beyond the Sea ".  And how did that work out? LOL

But yesterday I got my marching orders from Lorna Luft who told us that if you want to know about my mother, you can listen to her recordings, watch her TV appearances and view her movies.

"Clang,clang, clang went the trolley."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

People who expect that the actress would lip sync to Garland's recordings.... There's flashback stuff (apparently) to when Garland's voice was at its peak. As I said before ..... stick with the Judy Davis TV biopic.

There are still people around that expect lip syncing?    Ok,  but I find that strange;   Instead I expect the producers to hire talented folks that can pull off what is required (well, with a little help from technology). 

16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

There are still people around that expect lip syncing?    Ok,  but I find that strange;   Instead I expect the producers to hire talented folks that can pull off what is required (well, with a little help from technology). 

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY? HELLO?

2 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Zellweger's yodeling must have turned off audiences.

Some of us don't care for Judy's singing, either.

Coal Miner's Daughter was an exception to the rule. Both Loretta and Patsy were convincing. Renée Zellweger was on The PBS News Hour last night. Her voice was not comparable to Judy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Coal Miner's Daughter was an exception to the rule. Both Loretta and Patsy were convincing. Renée Zellweger was on The PBS News Hour last night. Her voice was not comparable to Judy.

Liza Minnelli is the only person I ever heard who had a voice that was comprable to Judy's.

I think Liza even had more range, but I still prefer Judy's mesmerizing, heart- rendering voice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

but I still prefer Judy's mesmerizing, heart- rendering voice.

I don't think I want my heart to be rendered. :P

Rex Reed apparently didn't like it.

Renée Zellweger’s ‘Judy’ Is Nothing More Than Another Gimmick

https://observer.com/2019/09/judy-movie-review-renee-zellweger-rex-reed/

Only a fool would attempt to play the one and only Judy Garland, onscreen or anywhere else. Many have tried and failed (although Judy Davis came closest to the mark in a now forgotten TV special), because nobody can or should. Despite an avalanche of misguided raves, Renée Zellweger as the greatest entertainer of the 20th century in a film called simply Judy is nothing more than another gimmick. You won’t get the real deal here, no matter which gushing hysteric you read.

• Like 3

Should have had chicken soup and speed available at the candy counter. Big mistake. 

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Rex Reed apparently didn't like it.

Renée Zellweger’s ‘Judy’ Is Nothing More Than Another Gimmick

https://observer.com/2019/09/judy-movie-review-renee-zellweger-rex-reed/

Only a fool would attempt to play the one and only Judy Garland, onscreen or anywhere else. Many have tried and failed (although Judy Davis came closest to the mark in a now forgotten TV special), because nobody can or should. Despite an avalanche of misguided raves, Renée Zellweger as the greatest entertainer of the 20th century in a film called simply Judy is nothing more than another gimmick. You won’t get the real deal here, no matter which gushing hysteric you read.

Rex may be correct about Zellweger's performance but I don't agree with him when he says 'nobody can or should'.   Rex's mentioned misguided raves,   but I find that comment to be even more misguided.

As for 'the real deal';  Uh,   one never gets that from any actor playing a historic figure.  

• Like 1

Zellweger will be in need of a hit after this and will probably do another Bridget Jones movie.

Personally I wouldn't pay $$$ to see a biopic of Judy Garland, other than The Wizard Of Oz I'm not a fan. Neither would I see the one about Mr. Rodgers.

My kiddie guy was Captain Kangaroo and I wound't pay $$$ to see a biopic about him. 😃

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted to maintain its eligibility rules for the Oscars amid calls for a crackdown on streaming services from some prominent members. On Tuesday night, the board of governors decided to keep the current requirements, which state that a feature-length film must run for one-week in an L.A. County theater to qualify for best picture.

Way to make themselves eventually irrelevant. 

she's still a lock to earn her 4th nom, but fior awhile I have been keeping an eye on newcomer Cynthia Erivu in Harriet abit the true to life black woman who escaped,etc  Harriet Tuggman, don't think I spelled her name right though

Wouldn't be the first time movies shared the same title.

Got to be a real bummer for everyone involved with the "Judy" movie when the "Child's Play" reboot did 4 times better at the box office. :lol:

Chucky_Face_Shot_Large.0.jpg

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

My kiddie guy was Captain Kangaroo and I wound't pay $$$ to see a biopic about him. 😃

Not even if Bruce Willis played Bunny Rabbit?

e2303838f5194d049ab89d3f9202f7f4.jpg

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

No.

How about if it was in black & white, and there was a sultry dame that came between Capt. Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans? It all ends in a shoot-out in a smoky dive bar, and the only thing in color is the blood.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Wouldn't be the first time movies shared the same title.

Got to be a real bummer for everyone involved with the "Judy" movie when the "Child's Play" reboot did 4 times better at the box office. :lol:

...AHH!! 😱  IT'S HILLARY CLIN--oh, wait, that's just Chucky.  Whew.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

My kiddie gal was Miss Francis. I actually would like to see a biopic of her, but only Meryl Streep would be qualified for the role.

MV5BNTk2MzBkODMtOWMxYS00NTIwLThiYjYtYmRh

Regarding Judy, I like Judy, can't abide Zellweger.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, EricJ said:

...AHH!! 😱  IT'S HILLARY CLIN--oh, wait, that's just Chucky.  Whew.  

Looks more like a Danny Bonaduce doll. :P

(check your PM)

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

My kiddie gal was Miss Francis. I actually would like to see a biopic of her, but only Meryl Streep would be qualified for the role.

MV5BNTk2MzBkODMtOWMxYS00NTIwLThiYjYtYmRh

Regarding Judy, I like Judy, can't abide Zellweger.

Wow!  It's been a long time since I attended that school.

It was academic, no bunny rabbit or a moose, strictly the ABCs on NBC.

• Like 1