UMO1982

JUDY BOMBS

166 posts in this topic

Zellweger's preening biopic opened Friday. Estimates called for $1.3 to $1.4M but it made only $900K, less then 70% of best guesses.

• Thanks 1

Very shocking.

added: They tried pumping this up already for an oscar, but less than a million and it won't cover the wardrobe. This is like the Warren beatty movie on Howard Hugues that barely grossed a cup of coffee.

I don’t think they marketed this film very well. My wife is a big Garland fan and was surprised to hear it was “now playing” during a commercial last night. While at the same time we have known about Downton Abbey for months and I would guess there is a lot of crossover in those audiences. It’s a shame as I hear Renee gives quite a good performance. 

• Like 1

that's unfortunate... I wasn't even aware of the release date for this one. I had no idea it was even out.

Edited by NickAndNora34

8 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I wasn't even aware of the release date for this one. I had no idea it was even out.

You mean to say you never saw it advertised? Here's the poster:

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.15.55 PM.jpeg

I saw one very brief TV commercial for it, nothing else. So it didn't receive much promotion, especially compared to other recent films. It also didn't get wide distribution, as it didn't come to my local theater. The only new movie we got this week was Abominable, which opened on 4242 screens.

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You mean to say you never saw it advertised? Here's the poster:

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.15.55 PM.jpeg

no, i saw maybe one trailer, that's it. I just wasn't aware of the release date for some reason; it just didn't stick in my brain

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Zellweger's yodeling must have turned off audiences.

It turned me off for sure. I didn’t really notice the acting, the mannerisms or her physicality – all I heard was that terrible imitation of Judy’s peerless voice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Frankly as far as I’m concerned, there’s already one definitive Garland bio pic and it was called I COULD GO ON SINGING, and I had no arguments with the casting then.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw one very brief TV commercial for it, nothing else. So it didn't receive much promotion, especially compared to other recent films. It also didn't get wide distribution, as it didn't come to my local theater. The only new movie we got this week was Abominable, which opened on 4242 screens.

Even if highly promoted,   I still wouldn't have predicted much success at the box office.  I don't think many folks under the age of 60 (or so) care about Judy Garland (e.g. I assume half of these folks don't even know who she is).

In addition the film is NOT a 'fun' one.     Close friends of ours are asking to take the wife and I to see the film (this came up last weekend when they had dinner at our house).   BUT the main reason the topic came up was because I have a Judy Garland photo on the living room wall (one of the stars I have featured on my wall of fame).

I'm not much of Garland fan, so I had no interest in this regardless. If the reviews had been ecstatic, I may have seen it eventually, but it was never something I was going to actively seek out or shell out money for. While the producers wanted to turn a profit, no one expected this to be a huge blockbuster hit, as the appeal would be very limited. Has there been a classic-era biopic that was a box-office hit in the past decade? And Zellweger isn't the most bankable star, either. Judging by the box-office take thus far, this seems like something that would have done better going straight to a streaming service or cable channel.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The only new movie we got this week was Abominable, which opened on 4242 screens.

What about THE LAUNDROMAT?

• Haha 1

It’s my understanding from conversations I was privy to during my time in Hollywood that Zellweger absolutely torched every bridge with some really awful behavior during the height of her fame.

This was definitely a last grasp for relevance on her part, Literally, it was either this or Patsy Cline and Jessica Lange already did Patsy right.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

What about THE LAUNDROMAT?

That's a Netflix produced film, and they usually don't get wide theatrical distribution. I can't find a source for the exact number of screens it opened on, though.

Just now, LawrenceA said:

That's a Netflix produced film, and they usually don't get wide theatrical distribution. I can't find a source for the exact number of screens it opened on, though.

I guess they still open those in theaters to qualify for Oscars. But I wonder if the rules on eligibility will gradually change.

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I guess they still open those in theaters to qualify for Oscars. But I wonder if the rules on eligibility will gradually change.

Didn't the Academy just change the rules about this?    (what qualifies for an Oscar related to how a film is released).

If not yet,  they will have to change.   

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Didn't the Academy just change the rules about this?    (what qualifies for an Oscar related to how a film is released).

Academy votes not to change Oscar eligibility rules for streaming services in major win for Netflix

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted to maintain its eligibility rules for the Oscars amid calls for a crackdown on streaming services from some prominent members. On Tuesday night, the board of governors decided to keep the current requirements, which state that a feature-length film must run for one-week in an L.A. County theater to qualify for best picture.

“The Academy’s Board of Governors voted to maintain Rule Two, Eligibility for the 92nd Oscars. The rule states that to be eligible for awards consideration, a film must have a minimum seven-day theatrical run in a Los Angeles County commercial theater, with at least three screenings per day for paid admission. Motion pictures released in nontheatrical media on or after the first day of their Los Angeles County theatrical qualifying run remain eligible,” the board said in a statement on its website.

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/04/24/academy-oscar-eligibility-rules-streaming-services-netflix/

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

It opened on 461 screens....

THAT could be one reason.

And in comparison to other slow-released, much pre-hype-groomed Oscar-bait biopics, "Stan & Ollie" opened last year on 754.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Academy votes not to change Oscar eligibility rules for streaming services in major win for Netflix

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted to maintain its eligibility rules for the Oscars amid calls for a crackdown on streaming services from some prominent members. On Tuesday night, the board of governors decided to keep the current requirements, which state that a feature-length film must run for one-week in an L.A. County theater to qualify for best picture.

“The Academy’s Board of Governors voted to maintain Rule Two, Eligibility for the 92nd Oscars. The rule states that to be eligible for awards consideration, a film must have a minimum seven-day theatrical run in a Los Angeles County commercial theater, with at least three screenings per day for paid admission. Motion pictures released in nontheatrical media on or after the first day of their Los Angeles County theatrical qualifying run remain eligible,” the board said in a statement on its website.

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/04/24/academy-oscar-eligibility-rules-streaming-services-netflix/

I have to laugh at the use of the word 'crackdown' suggesting it is a crime if something streams instead of being exhibited theatrically. 

Note how they don't say what the actual vote was, if some board members were not in favor of maintaining the old rules.

Just now, UMO1982 said:

According to Box Office Mojo https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=judy.htm

Loos like it opened in most big cities a fell far shot of estimates.

Anyone expecting to hear Garland's magnificent voice will flee the theater when Zellweger starts yodeling.

What fool would be expecting to hear Garland's magnificent voice? 

Also, since the film is about the last year of her life,,, well,,, that voice wasn't so magnificent by then.    One can see the decline in her CBS T.V. Show (which Get-TV showed a while back and was still great to view).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What fool would be expecting to hear Garland's magnificent voice? 

Also, since the film is about the last year of her life,,, well,,, that voice wasn't so magnificent by then.    One can see the decline in her CBS T.V. Show (which Get-TV showed a while back and was still great to view).

People who expect that the actress would lip sync to Garland's recordings.... There's flashback stuff (apparently) to when Garland's voice was at its peak. As I said before ..... stick with the Judy Davis TV biopic.

• Thanks 2