Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Movies That It Sometimes Feels That Only You Alone Like?

98 posts in this topic

Everybody has some. And instead of doing another thread like the one involving films you dislike/hate that everybody seemingly loves, it seemed appropriate to tackle the other side of the aisle. Feel free to choose some from any era.

• Like 1

If I ever got to be a guest programmer, I would pick Bull Durham as one of my movies, if TCM would let me. I have one friend and fellow baseball nut who also loves it. Otherwise, while I believe it's been generally pretty well critically praised, I don't know if I've met anyone in my personal life or on these message boards who much cares for it.

13 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

If I ever got to be a guest programmer, I would pick Bull Durham as one of my movies, if TCM would let me. I have one friend and fellow baseball nut who also loves it. Otherwise, while I believe it's been generally pretty well critically praised, I don't know if I've met anyone in my personal life or on these message boards who much cares for it.

I liked it. So there's one more.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Everybody has some. And instead of doing another thread like the one involving films you dislike/hate that everybody seemingly loves, it seemed appropriate to tackle the other side of the aisle. Feel free to choose some from any era.

This is difficult to answer for me. I don't know if I can find a movie that I haven't heard someone else also liked. There's a lot of genre stuff that's frowned upon by most of the people around here, stuff like Star Wars or some of the superhero movies or horror stuff. But there are other sites that I read where most of those films are admired by a great number of people. Just as they dislike some of the "pretentious arthouse and foreign flicks" or "boring old codger movies" that I like and are liked by many around here. 

There may be some of the so-bad-they're-good movies that I like that I don't recall anyone else saying they liked, such as Black Devil Doll from Hell, or Runaway Nightmare, or Wizards of the Lost Kingdom

Well, fairly recently there was the Coen Bros' Hail, Caesar! that I absolutely loved the satirical absurdity of it all in its poking fun at Hollywood's studio era "golden age".

(...but evidently I was/am one of the few that did)

• Like 3

I have this group to thank to know I am no longer alone on Xanadu.  (But then, I knew all along I never was anyway.  ☺️ )

Thanks to the rise of disk-Twitter culture, I've seen some cult rallying finally beginning to surface on the underground for

• Street Fighter (1994)
  • Santa Claus: the Movie (1985)
  • Disney's Treasure Planet (2002)
  • and Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982),

so I can now focus much needed attention on Airplane II: the Sequel (1982) as the next Unfairly Persecuted Cult-Martyr of the 80's...There are some movies that will always need more love and support.

(And when I posted in the defense of a sudden Twitter trend for Speed Racer (2008), I was besieged with an avalanche of fellow-warrior Likes.)

speed-racer.jpg

I did, however, wonder why there was such an uncomfortable silence and looking-away when I'd innocently said I'd thought it was cute that Elvis sang to a puppet in G.I. Blues (1960)...  😕

The ones which immediately come to my mind:

Caveman (1981)

The Lounge People (1992)

The Invisible Woman (1940)

The Grapes of Death (1978)

Just Tell Me What You Want (1980)

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

Kondom des Grauens (1996)

The Nude Vampire (1970)

I believe that the situation may be that other people do truly like them but will never admit watching such things.

EricJ - I like Halloween III and Airplane II. I have Street Fighter on disc as well, but as part of my so-bad-they're-good collection.

SansFin - You first told me about Kondom des Grauens, and I sought it out, watched it, and liked it. I also own The Grapes of Death on disc. 

Nippy - I have Dark Star on Blu-ray!

• Like 1

Where Angels Fear to Tread (1991) Based on E.M. Forster's first novel, not his best (probably his worst according to just about everybody). The clash of cultures (England and Italy, the latter where one shouldn't tread) around the first of decade of the 20th century. A stellar cast with Helen Mirren, Helena Bonham Carter, Judy Davis, Rupert Graves, and Barbara Jefford. A very moving film for me, terrific music by Rachal Portman, and FLAWLESSLY direction IMO by Charles Sturridge. User reviews are bad and Roger Ebert gave it only two stars. I watched this several times in a single week when I first saw it. Ebert hated the final sequence, which was by most standard rather anti-climactic story-wise, but I thought it was brilliant for that very reason. They made it very moving with relatively little to work with (this ending was faithful to the novel), and I wept to see it, it was so good for me. I've always thought that aspiring directors should watch this movie for instructional value. This movie came out at the same time of Howard's End and so got off to a bad start. Apparently, it never recovered.

///

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Howard the Duck", people should had known before hand it was a satire NOT a serious sci-fi film.  Many saw the name George Lucas...the rest is history.

Maybe if it was titled "Donald the Duck".

2 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that the situation may be that other people do truly like them but will never admit watching such things.

Really like the ending after Colossus sounded EXACTLY like my Color Computer Speech Pack. May explain how the sound effects were done (waveform generators).

colossus_4.jpg

300px-Speech_Sound_Cartridge.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hamradio said:

"Howard the Duck", people should had known before hand it was a satire NOT a serious sci-fi film.  Many saw the name George Lucas...the rest is history.

Some of us knew George Lucas hadn't written or directed it.   What was more painfully obvious was that the writers of "Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom" HAD written and directed it.

12 hours ago, SansFin said:

Caveman (1981)

The Lounge People (1992)

The Invisible Woman (1940)

The Grapes of Death (1978)

Just Tell Me What You Want (1980)

Kondom des Grauens (1996)

The Nude Vampire (1970)

SANS;  Out of that list the only ones I've seen were CAVEMAN and THE INVISIBLE WOMAN  And like both of them.  And too, do several other folks I know.   

As to the subject at hand,the only movies I can think of that I like, but nobody else I know does are----

COBB('94, Tommy Lee Jones)

HOTEL RWANDA ('05, Don Cheadle)

Sepiatone

16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

EricJ - I like Halloween III and Airplane II.

I vaguely remember liking Halloween III watching it on HBO in my adolescence. Completely unrelated to Jamie Lee Curtis or the other movies, but a pretty good stand-alone story. I almost could have seen it as a Hammer film.

I saw Airplane II in the theaters, and I remember laughing harder than I'd ever laughed in my life for the first 15 minutes and then almost not at all for the rest of the movie. I don't think I've seen it since.

• Like 1

Oooh, I thought of one! I really like Heaven's Gate. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone, online or not, who also likes it. Especially not Cigar Joe (I think, sorry if I"m getting my fellow users mixed up)!

40 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I saw Airplane II in the theaters, and I remember laughing harder than I'd ever laughed in my life for the first 15 minutes and then almost not at all for the rest of the movie. I don't think I've seen it since.

I don't know whether Paramount was TRYING to bury Airplane II (a December Christmas release, with Christmas-themed ads, is usually a big fat sign), but it seemed like literally the only clip the studio would show for critics was the scene where Julie Hagerty says "It feels like we've been through this whole thing before..."  As if handing the critics the line to unanimously use in their reviews.

But considering that the Zuckers wanted to move on to other parodies, and the studio brought in a new replacement, writer/director Ken Finkleman (who hadn't done quite as good in the sequel business earlier that year with "Grease 2") absolutely captures the rhythm and 70's-TV look of the first film.  It's the work of a master art forger...Even the trial scene is an uncanny pastiche of the Zuckers' own court trial from "Kentucky Fried Movie".  That's probably why the first 15 "airport" minutes of the film were comedy gold, and things got slow until William Shatner came to take over Leslie Nielsen's job in the last third, but at least Finkleman threw in parodies of the original "Airport", which the first film hadn't..

If I'd have to guess myself and I'm going with ones with low average scores on a movie website, and one thing I notice is that most classics have solid scores, so most of these tend to be in the 80s and 90s...... (and yes, you can tell I like romances and musicals):

The Emperor Waltz (1948)

The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone (1961)

Finian's Rainbow (1968)

Topaz (1969)

Lost Horizon (1973)

The Great Gatsby (1974)

Mame (1974) [Not as good as Rosalind's of course, but still an entertaining time..... especially when Bea Arthur is around]

A Star is Born (1976) [I think I've seen people like this one though, but it seems relatively few still. It's better than the most recent take.]

Agatha (1979)

The Formula (1980)

Kiss me Goodbye (1982)

Mrs Soffel (1984)

A Chorus Line (1985)

The Morning After (1986)

Legal Eagles (1986)

Black Widow (1987)

Ishtar (1987)

Moon Over Parador (1988)

Cookie (1989)

Always (1989)

Havana (1990)

The Russia House (1990)

A Show of Force (1990)

The Cemetery Club (1993)

Intersection (1994)

Love Affair (1994)

First Knight (1995)

The Muse (1999)

Elizabethtown (2005)

Labor Day (2013)

Rules Don't Apply (2016)

The Little Stranger (2018)

There are others, including at least one I'm embarrassed to say  about, because it was a kid's film that was near universally despised (and yes, the Universal is a bit of a hint, because that was the company behind it)

39 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Strange you should say that. I remember seeing Siskel and Ebert review that film in a clip on the internet, and that they both said no to the film but said the first 15 minutes were hilarious.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

I have this group to thank to know I am no longer alone on Xanadu.  (But then, I knew all along I never was anyway.  ☺️ )

I looked at bits from that again today, after being disappointed with a certain film that happened to have an ELO song in it. made me think of Xanadu, so I went back to look at some of the musical numbers in it. I really liked it before, but now I think even some of my reservations are disappearing. It's strange, but the film seemingly manages  the triple feat of being of its time (via the roller disco, hair, and clothes), of the 40s (gene Kelly, the Kelly/Newton-John dance scene, the gentle fantasy plotline), and of even times after it was made (with its go for broke technical exuberance it seems to anticipate things like Moulin Rouge) That makes it a pretty special film.....

That's an impressive list of movies, CI. I can't say that I liked any of them except for maybe The Formula and Legal Eagles. I didn't think Ishtar was nearly as bad as its reputation leads one to expect, but it's nothing I'm clamoring to see again, either.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

SansFin - You first told me about Kondom des Grauens, and I sought it out, watched it, and liked it. I also own The Grapes of Death on disc. 

It makes me very happy that you liked Kondom des Grauens (1969). I find it very worrisome to recommend movies which are quirky because it is nearly by definition that not all people will like them since universal appeal instantly transfers them 'unconventional' to 'mainstream'. 

40 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

If I'd have to guess myself and I'm going with ones with low average scores on a movie website, and one thing I notice is that most classics have solid scores, so most of these tend to be in the 80s and 90s...... (and yes, you can tell I like romances and musicals):

Finian's Rainbow (1968)

The Great Gatsby (1974)

Kiss me Goodbye (1982)

That does it:  I have GOT to rent Finian's Rainbow again--which I confess I hadn't seen since multiple TV viewings as a kid--as I've never understood why critics and historians have such a murderous grudge against it, apart from being the "embarrassment" on Francis Ford Coppola's career (just wait till "Jack" shows up), or the general financial audience fatigue with Big 60's-70's Roadshow Musicals.  I didn't think it was possible to hate a Tommy Steele musical, and I've seen "Happiest Millionaire" and "Half a Sixpence"...You want Roadshow-Musical Excess, get a load of those.

I'd already theorized in an IJW that The Great Gatsby was an innately depressing book trying to sell itself as a period glamour film (everything in '74 fashion was "Gatsby" without apparently knowing what the word meant), but that wasn't the film's fault, and Robert Redford retires the jersey for the character.  

And even though I knew it was an Americanized remake, I remember Kiss Me Goodbye as a long, painful belief that if you just cast James Caan as a Broadway playwright, somehow, magically, Neil Simon will come out at the other end.