CinemaInternational

Movies That It Sometimes Feels That Only You Alone Like?

126 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, thomasterryjr said:

I feel I am the only person, maybe a very few people, who likes "Jewel Robbery" with William Powell and Kay Francis. 

I love that movie very much! It is so very precious when he is seeking a place to hide from the police and she is mortally offended that he believes he might have a peaceful night in her bedroom. 

• Like 2

A film I like which many do not is Two Loves. There used to be several people on these boards who HAAAATED Laurence Harvey. Shirley MacLaine as a kooky schoolteacher is typecasting, although MacLaine as a virgin schoolteacher--isn't that Joanne Woodward territory? Juano Hernandez plays a Maori chief, and Jack Hawkins is a kindly school inspector. Location shooting in New Zealand. Very well directed by Charles Walters (at least according to me).

12 hours ago, kingrat said:

A film I like which many do not is Two Loves.

I'm so glad you like this movie, I'll have to seek it out. I impulsively bought the half sheet poster just for the cute Shirley McLaine face & the tiki, but have never seen the movie! 190fdc90-5bb9-4b81-9f45-da03a0e393d2_1.f

A movie I like which seems to have done a disappearing act is Country (1984), with Jessica Lange and Sam Shepard as a farm couple faced with losing their property. I think more people would probably like it if they were given the opportunity, but if you didn't see it then it seems like it would be hard to find now. There's a scene in particular which has always stayed with me. Lange is alone in the house in an upstairs hallway flooded with sunlight and bows her head, so that the tears just quietly drop from her eyes. It's also one of my favorite Sam Shepard films; he was as fine an actor as he was a writer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Falling in Love" (1984)  I love this film and watch it every Christmas.  What's not to like?  Streep, DeNiro, Harvey Keitel, Dianne Wiest, Jane Kazmarek, Manhattan in all its glory AND the Metro North (in a supporting role.) But, the critics didn't like it and I never hear anyone praise it.  But, I don't care.  I love it!

220px-Falling_in_love_movie_poster.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My late sister and I loved Paint Your Wagon and it’s panned by everyone I know who’s seen it. I find the non-singers charming. I still get a kick out of watching it. I also quite fond of Camelot with Richard Harris & Vanessa Redgrave. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HelenBaby2 said:

My late sister and I loved Paint Your Wagon and it’s panned by everyone I know who’s seen it. I find the non-singers charming. I still get a kick out of watching it. I also quite fond of Camelot with Richard Harris & Vanessa Redgrave. 

I can take Lee Marvin's "singing", and even Clint's, but Vanessa Redgrave singing the cheeky "Lusty Month of May" in a languid funereal Marlene Dietrich drone is just.....so wrong.  :huh:

16 hours ago, lydecker said:

"Falling in Love" (1984)  I love this film and watch it every Christmas.  What's not to like?  Streep, DeNiro, Harvey Keitel, Dianne Wiest, Jane Kazmarek, Manhattan in all its glory AND the Metro North (in a supporting role.) But, the critics didn't like it and I never hear anyone praise it.  But, I don't care.  I love it!

220px-Falling_in_love_movie_poster.jpg

DeNiro blossomed into a real charmer in the few roles like this which strayed from his usual harder-edged characters. Same with Stanley and Iris (1990) with Jane Fonda. And I don't think he was ever more charming than in The Intern (2015), where he played a retired executive who took a paternal interest in Anne Hathaway as a struggling entrepreneur.

• Like 1

I’m really pleased to see that four of my all time favorites that are frequently reviled are mentioned here— A Perfect Couple, Lost Horizon (the musical), the Farrow/Redford Gatsby, and 3 Women (although a lot of people have praised that one). I’ll add one to the mix— Altman’s HEALTH.    Best cast, funniest film, ever, imho. 

• Thanks 1

DOUGIE, I thought STANLEY AND IRIS was pretty good too.  And another I like that nobody else I know does is 

THE IMPOSTORS ('98) with OLIVER PLATT and STANLEY TUCCI.  (and that guy who works on the cruise ship wearing the glasses starkly reminds me of an old high school buddy.  :D )

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

I also quite fond of Camelot with Richard Harris & Vanessa Redgrave. 

This is one of the few musicals which I like and I like it very much. I believe that part of what raises it above the masses is that the songs were not homogenized, pasteurized and professionalized into audio pap. The natural voices reinforce the feeling of real people in their own world and prevent the music from taking the viewer completely out of the story. 

On 10/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, kingrat said:

A film I like which many do not is Two Loves. There used to be several people on these boards who HAAAATED Laurence Harvey. Shirley MacLaine as a kooky schoolteacher is typecasting, although MacLaine as a virgin schoolteacher--isn't that Joanne Woodward territory? Juano Hernandez plays a Maori chief, and Jack Hawkins is a kindly school inspector. Location shooting in New Zealand. Very well directed by Charles Walters (at least according to me).

I do not recall these people. I don't dislike LAURENCE HARVEY, he reminds me a little of HUGH JACKMAN, only with no talent or charisma- BUT he is pretty enough to get away with it...he also has that BAD MOVIE ACTOR BOLDNESS of, say, A STEPHEN BOYD, where even if the talent isn't there, THE SPIRIT clearly is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ALONE like BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING.

...And JAWS THE REVENGE but with the FRENCH AUDIO TRACK on- I tell you, it becomes a beautiful CAMUS-like tale of loss and absurdity when viewed en Francais.

• Haha 2

(i'm serious. it adds a layer of absurdity to something i did not think could be any more absurd.)

PS- sadly- the shark does NOT say "LE ROAR"

• Haha 1

Lament not, LORNA.....

I too, like LAURENCE HARVEY.  I don't think he was a bad actor,  but did have a limited range it seemed, but what he did in that range he did excellently. 

Plus I seem to be the only one I know that likes the older Stallone's COPLAND ('97).  I remember too, that at the time, there also was a lot of "Oscar buzz" surrounding this movie and Stallone's performance.  It WAS a good out-of-type performance by him, but come Oscar time, the movie didn't even get a whisper of mention.  So, I wouldn't put too much stock in all the "Oscar buzz" concerning Renee Zellweger and JUDY right now.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Back when I discovered the TCM Message Boards, there was quite a lot of disdain and derision given to a movie that I had never seen.  When I saw the title, it became a total turn-off to me, along with all the negative comments it seemed to generate.  Then, I discovered who was in the film, and I was surprised that the men and women who played in it were what many would consider 'fan favorites' of most TCM posters, so I was curious.  I finally got a chance to watch the film in its entirety one day when it aired on TCM, and I really enjoyed it.  The film is "Mourning Becomes Electra".  Michael Redgrave received his only Oscar nomination for his role in this film, which also starred Raymond Massey, Rosalind Russell, Kirk Douglas, Leo Genn, Katina Paxinou, and Nancy Coleman.  The story is based on a Greek tragedy, but the title they settled on...whoa!  Might have generated more interest if the picture was titled, "That's One Messed Up Family"! 😜

On 10/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, DougieB said:

And I don't think he was ever more charming than in The Intern (2015), where he played a retired executive who took a paternal interest in Anne Hathaway as a struggling entrepreneur.

I was very impressed with his "underplayed" role in that movie.

On 10/7/2019 at 9:56 AM, Sepiatone said:

Plus I seem to be the only one I know that likes the older Stallone's COPLAND ('97).

Copland was pretty good as I recall. Stallone certainly surrounded himself with an A-list cast, including no less than DeNiro and Keitel, when we weren't exactly used to seeing them in supporting roles. Maybe the final act was a little too Rambo, but I liked a lot of it.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I ALONE like BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING.

...And JAWS THE REVENGE but with the FRENCH AUDIO TRACK on- I tell you, it becomes a beautiful CAMUS-like tale of loss and absurdity when viewed en Francais.

I am so very sorry but I must contradict your statement about the movie "Bunny Lake Is Missing".  You are not alone.  Any movie which has a plot line that states a woman reporting her young daughter missing but nobody has actually seen her daughter nor is there any evidence of her daughter's existence is the type of movie which fascinates me, especially the last twenty minutes of this masterpiece.  Kudos to the young actress Carol Lynley who held her own against maybe the greatest male actor of the twentieth century, Laurence Olivier.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, midwestan said:

Back when I discovered the TCM Message Boards, there was quite a lot of disdain and derision given to a movie that I had never seen.  When I saw the title, it became a total turn-off to me, along with all the negative comments it seemed to generate.  Then, I discovered who was in the film, and I was surprised that the men and women who played in it were what many would consider 'fan favorites' of most TCM posters, so I was curious.  I finally got a chance to watch the film in its entirety one day when it aired on TCM, and I really enjoyed it.  The film is "Mourning Becomes Electra".  Michael Redgrave received his only Oscar nomination for his role in this film, which also starred Raymond Massey, Rosalind Russell, Kirk Douglas, Leo Genn, Katina Paxinou, and Nancy Coleman.  The story is based on a Greek tragedy, but the title they settled on...whoa!  Might have generated more interest if the picture was titled, "That's One Messed Up Family"! 😜

When I first saw the title I thought "Mourning Becomes What!!?".  Did someone misspell "Morning".  Who or what is an "Electra"?  I watched the movie and I found out what the definitive definition of a "Dysfunctional Family" is.  This is a good film and I enjoy watching it when TCM programmer decides to schedule it during daylight hours.  It is surprising that with all the powerful performances in this film only Michael Redgrave was able to receive an Oscar nomination. Kirk Douglas and Rosalind Russell should have been nominated as well for their respective performances.  

• Like 1

Roz was in fact nominated for Electra.   

1947 Actress

Joan Crawford: Possessed

Susan Hayward:Smash Up The Story of a Woman

Dorothy McGuire: Gentleman's Agreement

Rosalind Russell:  Mourning Becomes Electra

Loretta Young (Winner): The Farmer's Daughter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

Roz was in fact nominated for Electra.   

1947 Actress

Joan Crawford: Possessed

Susan Hayward:Smash Up The Story of a Woman

Dorothy McGuire: Gentleman's Agreement

Rosalind Russell:  Mourning Becomes Electra

Loretta Young (Winner): The Farmer's Daughter

I stand corrected and thank you.  I thought Ms. Russell's splendid performance in "Mourning Becomes Electra" was worthy of Oscar consideration.  

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 6:35 PM, CinemaInternational said:

If I'd have to guess myself and I'm going with ones with low average scores on a movie website, and one thing I notice is that most classics have solid scores, so most of these tend to be in the 80s and 90s...... (and yes, you can tell I like romances and musicals):

The Emperor Waltz (1948)

The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone (1961)

Finian's Rainbow (1968)

Topaz (1969)

Lost Horizon (1973)

The Great Gatsby (1974)

Mame (1974) [Not as good as Rosalind's of course, but still an entertaining time..... especially when Bea Arthur is around]

A Star is Born (1976) [I think I've seen people like this one though, but it seems relatively few still. It's better than the most recent take.]

Agatha (1979)

The Formula (1980)

Kiss me Goodbye (1982)

Mrs Soffel (1984)

A Chorus Line (1985)

The Morning After (1986)

Legal Eagles (1986)

Black Widow (1987)

Ishtar (1987)

Moon Over Parador (1988)

Cookie (1989)

Always (1989)

Havana (1990)

The Russia House (1990)

A Show of Force (1990)

The Cemetery Club (1993)

Intersection (1994)

Love Affair (1994)

First Knight (1995)

The Muse (1999)

Elizabethtown (2005)

Labor Day (2013)

Rules Don't Apply (2016)

The Little Stranger (2018)

There are others, including at least one I'm embarrassed to say  about, because it was a kid's film that was near universally despised (and yes, the Universal is a bit of a hint, because that was the company behind it)

I just love Black Widow. Cool performances all around.