CinemaInternational

Movies That It Sometimes Feels That Only You Alone Like?

126 posts in this topic

re: THE BIRDCAGE---

I like it too.  It too, was one of my wife's favorites.  We really couldn't decide on whose performance we enjoyed more...

Williams', Lane's, or Azaria's.  ;)  

I always crackup at the scene in which DIANE WIEST describes the pattern on the china as, "Young boys playing leapfrog!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I love The Birdcage.  It always seems to be on TV and I always seem to catch it when they're eating dinner from the bowls with the naked boys playing leapfrog.  This movie never gets old. I've seen it dozens of times.  My only complaint is with the actors cast as the children, especially Calista Flockhart. They are way too old to play teenagers/20-somethings.

"Agador Spartacus. He insists on being called by his full name."

---

"Don't give me that tone!" 

"What tone?"

"That sarcastic contemptuous tone that means you know everything because you're a man, and I know nothing because I'm a woman."

"You're not a woman."

"Oh! you bastard!" 

---

"Are you afraid of my Guatemalaness?"

"Your what?"

"My Guatemalaness. My natural heat. You're afraid I'm too primitive to be on the stage with your little estrogen rockettes, right?"

"You're right. I'm afraid of your heat."

--- 

My favorite part of the movie is when Robin Williams is giving Nathan Lane lessons on how to be more manly.

"Howdy ma'am." 

• Like 2

The Pebble and the Penguin (1995) 

I haven't met anyone else who has liked this, let alone even seen it. My grandparents love penguins, and used to show this to my brother and me on VHS when we used to visit them. I like Don Bluth animated movies, and the voice cast and music are great in this. Barry Manilow apparently had a hand in the soundtrack. 

Image result for pebble and the penguin

On 10/6/2019 at 8:36 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I ALONE like BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING.

...And JAWS THE REVENGE but with the FRENCH AUDIO TRACK on- I tell you, it becomes a beautiful CAMUS-like tale of loss and absurdity when viewed en Francais.

On Jaws The Revenge, while I don't love it as a whole, I do think the (SPOILERS) Christmas Eve shark attack drowned out by heavenly choir music is one of the all time great unsung horror intros! It's a very effective stand-alone scene. And to your point about watching it with French audio, a few years ago at the midnight hour (under the influence of mild recreational substances I won't disclose), my wife and I ended up watching the last half of it on silent with an old album of ragtime piano in the background and IT WAS EPIC!!!

5 hours ago, ClassicMovieholic said:

at the midnight hour my wife and I ended up watching the last half of it on silent with an old album of ragtime piano in the background and IT WAS EPIC!!!

I cannot take haunting ghost/slasher stories very well, but very much enjoy the artistry of special effects. Watching them without their provided soundtrack but my music instead allows me to enjoy the visuals without getting caught up in the "story". I watched the entire PARANORMAL ACTIVITY and FRIDAY THE 13TH movies that way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ClassicMovieholic said:

On Jaws The Revenge, while I don't love it as a whole, I do think the (SPOILERS) Christmas Eve shark attack drowned out by heavenly choir music is one of the all time great unsung horror intros! It's a very effective stand-alone scene. And to your point about watching it with French audio, a few years ago at the midnight hour (under the influence of substances I won't disclose), my wife and I ended up watching the last half of it on silent with an old album of ragtime piano in the background and IT WAS EPIC!!!

OMG!!!!! you are SO RIGHT!

That feeling you get when someone else shares the same really, really esoteric but totally valid opinion as you.

1012494.jpg?b64lines=IFNPIFRISVMgSVMgV0h

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Since horror movies were mentioned, I guess I can confess again that I am a great fan of the Scream franchise.

Particularly 1 and 4, although 2 and 3 have their moments.

Among people I know they are almost universally loathed.  I'm not sure what folks here think.

But the intro to Scream 4 is fabulous.  I can watch it over and over and over......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Since horror movies were mentioned, I guess I can confess again that I am a great fan of the Scream franchise.

Particularly 1 and 4, although 2 and 3 have their moments.

Among people I know they are almost universally loathed.  I'm not sure what folks here think.

But the intro to Scream 4 is fabulous.  I can watch it over and over and over......

SCREAM (1996) is (AS i RECALL- IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I SAW IT) a great movie that- were it not for the extremely weak performances of SKEET ULLRICH and MATHEW LILLARD would have possibly been a legit BEST PICTURE CONTENDER  (its influence cannot be denied)- AS IT IS, it's one of the 10 best of 1996 (which was a weak year.)

after that, i feel like the premise gets a leetle stretched (although the twist at the end of SCREAM 2 is delish)

• Like 2

And Scream 3 has that Carrie Fisher cameo which is sublime!

"I was up for Princess Leia.  I was this close.  So, who gets it?  The one who sleeps with George Lucas."

• Haha 1

I got tired of Scream.  It came out when I was in middle school.  For the next 2-3 years or so, all you heard was "do you like scary movies?" and seeing the Scream mask on dozens of people over Halloween, every Halloween.  Like many popular things, Scream got run into the ground by the media.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OMG!!!!! you are SO RIGHT!

That feeling you get when someone else shares the same really, really esoteric but totally valid opinion as you.

1012494.jpg?b64lines=IFNPIFRISVMgSVMgV0h

"I thought I was the only one!"

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I got tired of Scream.  It came out when I was in middle school.  For the next 2-3 years or so, all you heard was "do you like scary movies?" and seeing the Scream mask on dozens of people over Halloween, every Halloween.  Like many popular things, Scream got run into the ground by the media.

Sure.  And speaking of Halloween, I quickly tired of all the Michael Meyers masks on kids on Halloween night from the late '70's to the mid '80's and a bit beyond.  Didn't really care for the 1st, so never bothered with the all too many sequels. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure.  And speaking of Halloween, I quickly tired of all the Michael Meyers masks on kids on Halloween night from the late '70's to the mid '80's and a bit beyond.  Didn't really care for the 1st, so never bothered with the all too many sequels. 

Sepiatone

The first one was okay.  This type of movie isn't my favorite, but I didn't dislike it.  It was a bit predictable though. I really liked the music. I saw Michael Myers masks in the Halloween store a couple weeks ago. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Didn't really care for the 1st, so never bothered with the all too many sequels. 

Re: Friday The 13th.

It was the first movie I watched with the sound off. I yelled FOUL! in an early scene where an arrow pierces a boy from underneath as he lies in bed. He lays there watching it in horror as it twists within him. Sorry...if pierced by an arrow, you'd leap out of bed in pain, not just lay there looking at it. 

• Haha 1

I recall that.  And too, I thought at the time had it been me, I'd scream harder than FAY WRAY at the sight of a giant ape!  :D and likely in a higher pitch;) 

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Re: Friday The 13th.

It was the first movie I watched with the sound off. I yelled FOUL! in an early scene where an arrow pierces a boy from underneath as he lies in bed. He lays there watching it in horror as it twists within him. Sorry...if pierced by an arrow, you'd leap out of bed in pain, not just lay there looking at it. 

I believe that boy was Kevin Bacon

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 2:58 PM, Vautrin said:

I doubt there are truly any movies that one person alone likes, but just to play along

I'll thrown in The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant.

Well, if you can find one, then I'll be the second. It's a classic if you like groveling eroticism. Oh, the agony of obsession. Or is it ecstacy? Strange comfort, in any case.

2 hours ago, laffite said:

Well, if you can find one, then I'll be the second. It's a classic if you like groveling eroticism. Oh, the agony of obsession. Or is it ecstacy? Strange comfort, in any case.

It seems that Petra is more popular with critics than it is with "regular" moviegoers. As

I posted before, while I can understand the criticisms of the movie, I still like it. And it

definitely has a campy vibe too, which may make it easier to take.

• Like 1

Teenage Caveman (1958)

Roger Corman directed this prehistoric drama with a twist. Robert Vaughn stars and he called it the worst movie ever made. I enjoyed though, especially the ending which I did not see coming but should have. 

• Like 1

Attempting to remember the title of a movie led me to some others which I believe are liked only by me:

The Pillow Book (1996) Few movies explore the sensuous delight of calligraphy.

Life Tastes Good (1999) The cast is perfection. This was early in the career of Greg Watanabe.

Sugar & Spice (2001) I fully realize that I am condemning my immoral soul for liking this movie but it is such trashy good fun!

• Like 1

Another one to add to the list as of early today, and boy did it get trashed when it was released: 1989's She-Devil. It made me laugh long and hard and Meryl Streep and Sylvia Miles were aces in it.

• Like 1

One that I've gone back to a number of times is Isn't She Great (2000), which I guess has to be called ill-fated. The obvious criticism, and one I reluctantly agree with, was that Bette Midler didn't realistically approximate the public persona of Jacqueline Susann as we came to know it, mostly from television talk show appearances. And yet Midler created an "alternate reality" Susann who, along with stellar support from Nathan Lane, Stockard Channing, David Hyde Pierce and John Cleese, believably anchored an extremely witty and touching script by the brilliant Paul Rudnick (In & Out, Addams Family Values, Sister Act). It's like a big bowl of delicious, comforting actor soup, with everyone at the top of their game. Nathan Lane I think came under some criticism for underplaying his role as her husband, Irving Mansfield, but that doesn't give nearly enough credit to an actor who can operate on so many levels, not just brash and over-sized. Stockard Channing is sublime as Midler's compatriot who came up through the periphery of show biz with her and who memorably botches a guest shot on Ozzie and Harriet. (She was supposed to be wholesome Aunt Hilda bringing farm fresh eggs, but "I like to show off my rings.") David Hyde Pierce, like Lane, shows the kind of range usually denied him, such as a moving scene when he accidentally discovers Jackie's secret stash of cancer drugs. And John Cleese is perfect as her go-big-or-go-home publisher. Throw in a Bacharach/David theme song sung by Dionne Warwick and it's a winning package.

It's partly unseen now because it was basically unseen at the time. I had to travel off the fairly large peninsula on which I live, as well as an additional 30-40 miles to even find a theater showing it. The data base has it as some kind of German-financed production, released by Universal, so maybe something went horribly wrong with the distribution. That, combined with the unfortunate "She doesn't look like Jackie" angle, accounted for the big public pass the movie got at the time. But I love it and will continue to dip back into it when I'm in the mood for masterfully executed whimsy.

Well, I can write pages about this. I can think of one right away: "Eyes Wide Shut". I seem to be the only person (I know) who likes that Kubrick's last picture. As a matter of fact, with "Barry Lyndon" and "2001, A Space Odyssey", that movie is among my favorite Kubrick films. Another film for which I seem to be the only one who likes it is "Meet Joe Black". I think Brad Pitt is simply great in that film and demonstrates how good of an actor he really is.

Edited by John Louis Gerdes
grammar error

Everybody seems to prefer the Fredric March version of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, but I have to confess I like the Spencer Tracy film a whole lot more.

And most folks also seem to loathe PAINT YOUR WAGON. Have to admit it is weird seeing tough guys Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood burst into song, but I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I actually think Clint doesn't have that bad of a voice either.

Don't worry John, I like EYES WIDE SHUT too, even though the majority opinion seems to be that it's Kubrick's worst film.

1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Everybody seems to prefer the Fredric March version of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, but I have to confess I like the Spencer Tracy film a whole lot more.

And most folks also seem to loathe PAINT YOUR WAGON. Have to admit it is weird seeing tough guys Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood burst into song, but I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I actually think Clint doesn't have that bad of a voice either.

Don't worry John, I like EYES WIDE SHUT too, even though the majority opinion seems to be that it's Kubrick's worst film.

Strange, isn't it? To me, I place "Eyes Wide Shut" in my top three Kubrick film, along with "Barry Lyndon" and "2001..."

• Like 1