spence

Now the word police want to re=name JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT?

117 posts in this topic

I just now saw it on my e mails that the pc crowd want to actually re-name *John "The Duke" Wayne airpot in Burbank, CALIF  due to some interview he did many, many years ago???

This nonsense is so out of hand it literally can make one physically ill

Statues, books-(sound familiar  Goebbles & the Nazi's)   These punks just have to much time ion their lilly white spoiled rich hands  Who ever heard before this era of them getting time out rooms & brakes with hot cocoa & often a pet to hold when they see or hear something they don't agree with   The greatest generation WW2 didn't have life like that, or the young guys that had to go to Vietnam-(my dad was one, but volunteered in the marine corps early on before it really got hot over there in '65) 

And these kids are the future?

They have actually invented some asinine name Trump syndrome

What did guys that fought wars have?

Sunday it was Tom Brady?

who knows maybe Reagan's Airport will be down the line & for those that say hey, he wasn't in the war *"The Duke" was 4-F due to his tiny 5 & 1/2 size feet

Like *Sinatra & his punctured ear drum at childbirth

For decades now black people have hated Elvis, insisting he was rascist too

It used to be in the post war era & 1950's if you disagreed with somebody you were a commie, now it's a rascist

& I love to bet and predict & I bet within a year or even less his airport name is in fact changed

Duke loved this country, but if he woke up now, he'd want to crawl back into his grave

(TRIVIA: about 98% of his views came from his mentor *John Ford by the way, or should I say Admiral Ford) 

DISGUSTING NONSENSE

Actually spence, the John Wayne Airport (IATA code: SNA) in SoCal is the one located in Orange County, not the one located in Burbank. For a time, but no longer, the latter one (IATA code: BUR) had Bob Hope's name added to it.

(...and btw...there was another thread about this very thing which was started a while back...in it I stated I really don't give a rat's you-know-what about this whole thing...you see, for many years I worked in the airline industry at LAX, and to this very day I STILL refer to the airport in Orange County as the "Orange County Airport", and not only that, but I ALSO still refer to the airport in our nation's capital as "Washington National Airport"...AND if they'd ever add some freakin' movie actor's name, or for that matter ANYONE'S name and regardless how "hallowed" their name might become to some out there and regardless their political stances they were noted for during their lifetime, and to the airport I spent many years working at, I'd STILL call it the "Los Angeles International Airport!!!)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Then they should rename Orange County to Sour grapes.

Well, I understand they thought about doing just THIS for a while to the airport's name up in Napa/Sonoma, but the local wine industry up there quickly put the kibosh on that!

(...the people in Modesto are still considering such a move, however)

• Haha 1

I live in the O.C. and this remove got some traction as part of the cancel-culture movement but nothing moved forward, and I don't think anything will.

But if it does what is the big deal.    Nothing is being 'burned down' as Spence implies.  That is just silly over-the-top fear mongering.   It is a name change and name changes of airports,  buildings,  city centers, etc..  change all the time.

While I don't agree with the overall scope of the cancel-culture (e.g. cancelling out Cosby,  Allen, etc..)    Wayne has a lot of negative baggage;  E.g. avoided service during WWII by making bogus medical claims,  racist comments,  his attack on those that didn't wish to serve in Nam for reasons that were NOT selfish ones like Wayne's, etc...

BUT once a decision is made to honor someone something very major things need to be discovered to remove the honor.    In most cases I quote Paul;  Let it Be!

• Like 1

OH, and another thing I've heard recently is that some of the locals in Alabama are now pressing for their boy Donny's name to be added to the Birmingham International Airport. They really like that juvenile acting man-child down there, ya know. 

(...but presently there even seems to be some pushback to this move by a few of the other locals...sure, a minority of 'em, but that's the way it is now days ya know...those damn minorities!!!)

LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Actually spence, the John Wayne Airport (IATA code: SNA) in SoCal is the one located in Orange County, not the one located in Burbank. For a time, but no longer, the latter one (IATA code: BUR) had Bob Hope's name added to it.

(...and btw...there was another thread about this very thing which was started a while back...in it I stated I really don't give a rat's you-know-what about this whole thing...you see, for many years I worked in the airline industry at LAX, and to this very day I STILL refer to the airport in Orange County as the "Orange County Airport", and not only that, but I ALSO still refer to the airport in our nation's capital as "Washington National Airport"...AND if they'd ever add some freakin' movie actor's name, or for that matter ANYONE'S name and regardless how "hallowed" their name might become to some out there and regardless their political stances they were noted for during their lifetime, and to the airport I spent many years working at, I'd STILL call it the "Los Angeles International Airport!!!)

thanks for fast reply Dargo, but it's the entire scope of these things that do matter & are getting worse daily & with those 3 pc girls now in congress it will only get worse & then they will be idolized from younger people  trickle down nonsense is what I;m saying

they are & the media is pushing it all the way, is attempting top change this country

I mostly try to disconnect from it all, but *JOHN WAYNE NOW?

You worked LAX huh  Been there a few times, when did you work there?

9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

OH, and another thing I've heard recently is that some of the locals in Alabama are now pressing for their boy Donny's name to be added to the Birmingham International Airport. They really like that juvenile man-child down there, ya know.

(...but presently there even seems to be some pushback to this move by a few of the other locals...sure, a minority of 'em, but that's the way it is now days ya know...those damn minorities!!!)

LOL

Straighten me out who's Donny?

It's the college professor's that started, like with Tom Brady & now no matter what he says or does he is pigeonholed as a rascist  Don't know if you watch football or not, but this was evidently really bothering him on Sunday Despite his team winning, he wasn't really there mentally & FURIIOUS at everything

Some town & professor tried leading the charge about a yr ago in regard to To Kill a Mockingbird of all films

24 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I live in the O.C. and this remove got some traction as part of the cancel-culture movement but nothing moved forward, and I don't think anything will.

But if it does what is the big deal.    Nothing is being 'burned down' as Spence implies.  That is just silly over-the-top fear mongering.   It is a name change and name changes of airports,  buildings,  city centers, etc..  change all the time.

While I don't agree with the overall scope of the cancel-culture (e.g. cancelling out Cosby,  Allen, etc..)    Wayne has a lot of negative baggage;  E.g. avoided service during WWII by making bogus medical claims,  racist comments,  his attack on those that didn't wish to serve in Nam for reasons that were NOT selfish ones like Wayne's, etc...

BUT once a decision is made to honor someone something very major things need to be discovered to remove the honor.    In most cases I quote Paul;  Let it Be!

What I meant in Graceland, is it's getting so crazy  It'll never happen, just making a point

James, m in all books & more he was officially 4-F due to his tiny feet at 6'4 & 1./2 & around then maybe 215lbs  TRUE STORY

John Garfield's heart was already so bad, he was not only 4-F-(said to have caught Scarlet Fever riding the rails from NYC tp Hollywood) at any rate-(Norman Lloyd often spoke this) they wouldn't even allow him to rub 20ft  especially later in his 39yrs

*Tracy's kidneys were already bad at only 41

Flynn had a spot on his lung & sexual diseases already & so on

Lots of GI's were angry at *FS due to him not going & even more due to their ladies at home,etc   To the point though at the inception of his career when there were men in the crowd he got boos from them, not of course the Bobby-Soxers-(which in part were $pd$ by the mob to show up very often)

3 minutes ago, spence said:

The point here spence is that it isn't only those the lean-left that wish to change the names of Airports.

In addition,  naming an airport after the current President COULD be a mistake.     E.g. if said President is removed from office,  would the town still want that name for their airport?

(in the case of this town,  the answer is likely YES,   and they would likely double the size of the sign!).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spence said:

What I meant in Graceland, is it's getting so crazy  It'll never happen, just making a point

I knew that but I recommend one try to refrain from making over-the-top points since that is the main driver behind the cancel-culture movement.

E.g.   this celebrity is SOOOOO EVIL that he needs to be removed from the culture.    That is the type of nonsense some were making about Wayne.         That is over-the-top nonsense.

I have often found that it isn't wise to try to counter over-the-top nonsense with over-the-top nonsense.

11 minutes ago, spence said:

Why, Donny OSMOND, of course!

(...c'mon now, spence...surely you really knew who I meant here, didn't ya?!) ;)

52 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Then they should rename Orange County to Sour grapes.

That even sounded like something *Bogie woulda said

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The point here spence is that it isn't only those the lean-left that wish to change the names of Airports.

In addition,  naming an airport after the current President COULD be a mistake.     E.g. if said President is removed from office,  would the town still want that name for their airport?

(in the case of this town,  the answer is likely YES,   and they would likely double the size of the sign!).

I understand and not to get political in this arena, but Trump will never be fully impeached, more like what Bill Clinton went through instead & will probably-(about 99% positive will get re-elected as well) I'm not a fan just reality   Look at the competition & besides what would the media due 24-7 if he were gone already?

28 minutes ago, Dargo said:

OH, and another thing I've heard recently is that some of the locals in Alabama are now pressing for their boy Donny's name to be added to the Birmingham International Airport. They really like that juvenile man-child down there, ya know.

LOL

who is Donny by the way, or were you just being sarcastic

33 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Another winner living out west buddy

He means Donald Trump. They want to name the airport after Trump.

Just now, spence said:

Yes spence, I was being sarcastic.

(...I know I know...how uncharacteristic of me, RIGHT?!) ;)

LOL

Although much is gossip, sometimes it's on the level & did not break this story  The Life ad Times of Hollywood right now is really going on about it  apparently *"The Duke" had rumors of not liking gays either ^ oart of this nonsense was him being homophobic??

2 minutes ago, spence said:

I understand and not to get political in this arena, but Trump will never be fully impeached, more like what Bill Clinton went through instead & will probably-(about 99% positive will get re-elected as well) I'm not a fan just reality   Look at the competition & besides what would the media due 24-7 if he were gone already?

I also don't wish to get political but as you know the topic of the cancel-culture is often political. 

I only mentioned the President as an example of honoring someone.     The point being that local authorities shouldn't rush such things.    So in the case of a political figure,  one should wait until they complete their term of office and that they left without disgrace.

• Like 1

Although much is gossip, sometimes it's on the level & did not break this story  The Life ad Times of Hollywood right now is really going on about it  apparently *"The Duke" had rumors of not liking gays either ^ oart of this nonsense was him being homophobic??

Yeah, that's another word thrown around without any meaning. I agree with the people who say they should keep the airport's name.

• Like 1