mr6666

GODZILLA, King of the Kaiju....

38 posts in this topic

The King of the Monsters

"I n early August of 1945, the United States dropped two atomic bombs on the people of Japan in the span of just three days, effectively ending World War II in the Pacific shortly after it had ended in Europe months before. It is believed that the allied forces may have saved countless lives on both sides by dropping the bombs instead of engaging in a ground invasion that was to be known as “Operation Downfall” that some have estimated could have ended up making D-Day look like a walk in the park. But the bombs left two Japanese cities devastated economically and structurally, innocent civilians in the hundreds of thousands were killed in the process, and radiation poisoning caused the aftermath to last much longer than just those two brief moments of destruction. A country built on honor and self-sacrifice found itself having to admit defeat or face more devastation; they chose the former. .........

(Tanaka) happened to pass by the very waters that the Lucky Dragon No. 5 had been exposed to radiation in. It brought back the news of the incident into his mind, and he suddenly came up with the idea of going for a creature feature instead, inspired by American b-movie classic The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, in which a giant monster would rise from the depths awaken by nuclear testing. .....

After realizing that stop motion animation would be too costly and time-consuming, the defining effect – that Godzilla was portrayed by a man in a large monster suit – was used instead. The creature’s roar, one of cinema’s most well-known sound effects, was created by legendary Japanese composer Akira Ifukube when he found a way to use the sound of a leather glove moving against the strings of a double bass.

The film itself is a masterpiece. It features a dramatic weight that the franchise would not come to be widely known for, with scenes of destruction that don’t spare anyone – .....

The Godzilla franchise has been coming out with films through twelve presidencies, almost all of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign, almost thirty Japanese Prime Ministers, and three Japanese eras and Emperors. This month, Godzilla: King Of The Monsters will be the thirty-fifth film in which he is featured — and that’s if you don’t count two Americanized versions of two of his films ........

By the mid-seventies, Godzilla had been on film for two decades, but his popularity was waning. He went from a dramatic analogy of Japan’s tragic past to a drive-in theatre B monster to a children’s superhero to a bit of a laughingstock. So, for nearly a decade Godzilla vanished from the movie screens. It was time for him to take up a new role and wear another new mask…..

https://ordinary-times.com/2019/05/11/the-king-of-the-monsters/

• Like 1

·
21h

The man-behind-the-monster, Haruo Nakajima, was the original Godzilla actor for the first 12 films. GODZILLA KING OF MONSTERS (2019) was dedicated to his memory. #KingoftheKaiju

https://pic.twitter.com/w2KebOMjSk

(Nuts! can't post twitter pics anymore)  :(

• Like 1

I recall reading somewhere that Godzilla's roar was created by stereophonic feedback. 

Sound effects can be a funny business.  When I first saw the first STAR WARS, a sound in the movie reminded me of a sound we(as kids) would create------

The sound of the storm troopers weapons, from an article I read, was made the same way WE created it.

By hitting the cables used as "guy-wires" for telephone poles with a hammer!  :o

Anyway----

My Mother's cousin( and of course,my cousin too) used to have a job as tutor for GI kids living on a U.S. military base near Tokyo.  When he came over here to MI for a visit, I couldn't resist----

I mentioned that he came to visit just in time!  ;)  He asked, "In time for what?"  And I answered, "Well, I'm guessing it's nigh on time for GODZILLA season over there, eh?"  He just closed his eyes and slowly shook his lowered head back and forth.  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

LOL

"Godzilla Season"! I love it!

(...of course he COULD have replied back with somethin' like: "Yeah, and INSTEAD I'm now here in freakin' DETROIT in the middle of freakin' WINTER!") ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, universalkaiju said:

It says 17 movies, what are the other two? They are showing Gojira and 14 other movies from the Showa era.

1. Godzilla
  2. Godzilla, King of the Monsters (the American dub/edit of Godzilla)
  3. Godzilla Raids Again
  4. Mothra vs Godzilla
  5. Mothra
  6. Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
  7. Invasion of Astro-Monster
  8. Son of Godzilla
  9. Destroy All Monsters
  10. All Monsters Attack - There seems to be a hole in the schedule here - They have this 70-minute movie scheduled from 8PM until 1AM! My guess is they will show Ebirah, Horror of the Deep and Godzilla vs Hedorah/Godzilla vs the Smog Monster in this time slot.
  11. Rodan
  12. Godzilla vs Megalon
  13. Godzilla vs Mechgodzilla
  14. Terror of Mechagodzilla

War of the Gargantuas, another Toho giant monster film, is scheduled after Terror of Mechagodzilla.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:
  1. Godzilla
  3. Godzilla Raids Again
  4. Mothra vs Godzilla
  5. Mothra
  8. Son of Godzilla
  9. Destroy All Monsters
  10. All Monsters Attack - There seems to be a hole in the schedule here - They have this 70-minute movie scheduled from 8PM until 1AM! My guess is they will show Ebirah, Horror of the Deep and Godzilla vs Hedorah/Godzilla vs the Smog Monster in this time slot.
  11. Rodan
  12. Godzilla vs Megalon

War of the Gargantuas, another Toho giant monster film, is scheduled after Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Hey Lawrence! You see that third one up there? Godzilla Raids Again ?

Well, word was when they were thinking of adding some American actors to this one for its release here in the states, instead of getting Raymond Burr again this time, there was talk for a while of getting Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich to do those added scenes instead!

(...get IT?!...ya see........oh never mind)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I recall reading somewhere that Godzilla's roar was created by stereophonic feedback. 

Sound effects can be a funny business.  When I first saw the first STAR WARS, a sound in the movie reminded me of a sound we(as kids) would create------

The sound of the storm troopers weapons, from an article I read, was made the same way WE created it.

By hitting the cables used as "guy-wires" for telephone poles with a hammer!  :o

Anyway----

My Mother's cousin( and of course,my cousin too) used to have a job as tutor for GI kids living on a U.S. military base near Tokyo.  When he came over here to MI for a visit, I couldn't resist----

I mentioned that he came to visit just in time!  ;)  He asked, "In time for what?"  And I answered, "Well, I'm guessing it's nigh on time for GODZILLA season over there, eh?"  He just closed his eyes and slowly shook his lowered head back and forth.  :D 

Sepiatone

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hey Lawrence! You see that third one up there? Godzilla Raids Again ?

Well, word was when they were thinking of adding some American actors to this one for its release here in the states, instead of getting Raymond Burr again this time, there was talk for a while of getting Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich to do those added scenes instead!

(...get IT?!...ya see........oh never mind)

I hope the French enjoy your humour, Dargo. If you suddenly get shipped back here in an express crate we'll know the answer. Have a bon voyage.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

"Godzilla Season"! I love it!

(...of course he COULD have replied back with somethin' like: "Yeah, and INSTEAD I'm now here in freakin' DETROIT in the middle of freakin' WINTER!") ;)

The trouble with that was, he came over during JUNE.  :blink: When school was out for the military brats.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I'm looking forward to Mothra vs. Godzilla. nobody could get him quite so exasperated as mothra.

:D

Related image

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, LawrenceA said:
  1. Godzilla
  3. Godzilla Raids Again
  4. Mothra vs Godzilla
  5. Mothra
  8. Son of Godzilla
  9. Destroy All Monsters
  11. Rodan
  12. Godzilla vs Megalon

IOW, the same roster as on the big Criterion Blu-ray mega-set at the end of the month.  (They still do the half-price sale in November, right?  :huh: )

It's nice to see that Criterion and TCM still have the same mutual non-aggression treaty they had back during the happier days of Filmstruck.

31 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Is there an English dubbed version of "Godzilla Raids Again"? 

All of the Godzilla movies have English versions but TCM tries to present them the way they were originally released.

What kills me is some things are marked in English....radio, jet fighters.:blink:

We actually called Godzilla that?? 

GtFM.png

Godzilla is turning over in that icy tomb. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

All of the Godzilla movies have English versions but TCM tries to present them the way they were originally released.

Hope the American version gave "Godzilla Raids Again" a less lame ending.

He just stood around for a 2nd wave of jet fighters to bury him? LMREO!

On 10/3/2019 at 12:19 PM, Sepiatone said:

He just closed his eyes and slowly shook his lowered head back and forth.  

Like we all do here.

• Haha 3

As a Kid saw Godzilla, Mothra, and maybe one other but that's it. Don't ever have to see another, lol.

TCM should yard sale all of them and buy the rights to Paramount films, no?

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

Is there an English dubbed version of "Godzilla Raids Again"? 

yeah, I've watched it.

last nite I hadda watch mothra vs. Godzilla in Japanese with English subtitles. when I was a kid these movies were shown on local independent stations and they had English dubbing as well as English titles.

question, are both Gigantis and Gojira Godzilla???

any movie network I run would be showing good ole English dubbed prints like when we were kids.

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

IOW, the same roster as on the big Criterion Blu-ray mega-set at the end of the month.  (They still do the half-price sale in November, right?  :huh: )

It's nice to see that Criterion and TCM still have the same mutual non-aggression treaty they had back during the happier days of Filmstruck.

I remember seeing two other Godzilla movies as a Kid. Godzilla vs. The Thing which genius ben says was an alternate title for mothra vs Godzilla and Godzilla vs. the sea monster.

anybody please clarify.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, LawrenceA said:

All Monsters Attack - There seems to be a hole in the schedule here - They have this 70-minute movie scheduled from 8PM until 1AM! My guess is they will show Ebirah, Horror of the Deep and Godzilla vs Hedorah/Godzilla vs the Smog Monster in this time slot.

All Monsters Attack is one of the worst Godzilla movies, it features a talking Minya (Godzilla's son) helping a bullied schoolboy from gangsters. I always preferred the mean, evil Godzilla to the more family friendly one of the late 1960s. 

• Like 3

It's amusing to me how serious some people take all this.  As kids, me and my friends never took any of it serious.  We went to see Godzilla movies for the LAUGHS.  "Oh, LOOK!  His breath is so bad it's melting all those toy cars and tanks!"  :D  Even for the times many of the special effects were pretty cheezy.  Actually, my fondest memory of any of them is when my 1st daughter was 1 1/2 years old, and one of those flicks was on the tube, she toddled into the living room and stopped, looked at the TV screen, pointed to it and said one of the three or four actual words she knew-------

"PUPPY!"  :D 

Sepiatone