mr6666

GODZILLA, King of the Kaiju....

44 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I remember seeing two other Godzilla movies as a Kid. Godzilla vs. The Thing which genius ben says was an alternate title for mothra vs Godzilla and Godzilla vs. the sea monster.

anybody please clarify.

Do you mean "Thing" was an alternate title for Mothra (which it was), or for Ebirah, aka the Sea Monster?

...If it wasn't Ben, I wouldn't have to ask.  😓

20 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

these movies were shown on local independent stations and they had English dubbing

One of the funniest things I ever heard was from my best friend in High School who has an IQ of something like 130, "When I was a little kid and saw Godzilla movies, I honestly thought Japanese people had some kind of weird magical language where their lips didn't match the words spoken."

I don't think ANY kid took these movies seriously (not "serious"- grammar police) Godzilla was a movie version of the sort of childhood games we'd play with dolls. Always big drama: Barbie was captured by the big stuffed animal toy, kept prisoner in the cave (made from blanket folding) and GI Joe had to rescue her. Hot Wheels cars teeny scale made the dolls seem huge! 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

One of the funniest things I ever heard was from my best friend in High School who has an IQ of something like 130, "When I was a little kid and saw Godzilla movies, I honestly thought Japanese people had some kind of weird magical language where their lips didn't match the words spoken."

I don't think ANY kid took these movies seriously (not "serious"- grammar police) Godzilla was a movie version of the sort of childhood games we'd play with dolls. Always big drama: Barbie was captured by the big stuffed animal toy, kept prisoner in the cave (made from blanket folding) and GI Joe had to rescue her. Hot Wheels cars teeny scale made the dolls seem huge! 

I think you just wrote Toy Story 5.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I think you just wrote Toy Story 5.

Great observation! 

When I saw the first TS that was exactly what I thought: here's a bunch of unrelated toys all playing together-that's how I (& every other kid) played. Do kids still play that way? (no, I betcha kids only "play" with their noses to a screen)

• Like 1

Nothing against Godzilla fans, but I like Kong a lot better

On 10/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

All Monsters Attack is one of the worst Godzilla movies, it features a talking Minya (Godzilla's son) helping a bullied schoolboy from gangsters. I always preferred the mean, evil Godzilla to the more family friendly one of the late 1960s. 

Those Japanese kids in their ultra short shorts are disturbing to me.  Great to see TCM has Gojira as Guest of the Month.  Hope they can fit in a showing of "The Mysterians" = the movie, not the singing group.  

:D  I like how some here like to appear as "film" lovers by using the Japanese name for the monster.  ;) I mean, for a few generations now Americans have been calling it GODZILLA.  not GOJIRA! :rolleyes:  But get some self proclaimed "expert" bloviating on TCM while wearing some beat up old fedora that looks like he found by the side of the freeway, and suddenly there's some who'll adopt all the lingo.  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In view of TCM's failure to show all the Godzilla films, I'll post one of them now

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, TomJH said:

In view of TCM's failure to show all the Godzilla films, I'll post one of them now

Can see they were a fan on "Monty Python's Flying Circus". :lol:

24 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Bambi Meets Godzilla

Speaking of Shortest Godzilla Battles Ever--   😁

Would be remiss in not mentioning the time when Japan--now bitterly regretting their big pre-release-hype promise to include Dean Devlin's '98 Godzilla, now aka "'Zilla", into the official Toho Kaiju canon--finally let the two duke it out in Godzilla: Final Wars (2004):

("I knew I couldn't depend on that tuna-head!"...Yes, the idea of Godzilla eating tuna cracks the Japanese up, as does Devlin's utter psychological obsession with telling us this non-existent fact in his script.)

• Like 1

"Zilla"?  Kinda smacks of a HIP-HOP artist's name, don't it?  :blink:

Sepiatone

here is a very moving piece of music from Godzilla 1985. it evokes a sense of sadness and tragedy of Godzilla's very existence but what it has always suggested to me is the bond between his existence and the fate of Japan since the double tragedies of Heroshima and Nagasaki and because of that a sense of compassion for the great beast. he wants to go home.

tcm is gone for me however...

I have downloaded the English dubbed versions of Godzilla vs. Gigan and Terror of MechaGodzilla off of archive.org.

:)

Pulgasari is also available free online. It's like a cheesy second world version of Godzilla with costume and special effects provided by Toho.

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Pulgasari is also available free online. It's like a cheesy second world version of Godzilla with costume and special effects provided by Toho.

And, being North Korean, produced by Kim Il Jong.  Yes.

(And looks like it, too, with the plot more focused on ancient traditional villages besieged by foreign conquerors, making it closer to the Daimajin movies than Godzilla.)