TheCid

Changing name of Army posts

18 posts in this topic

According to Vietnam magazine, the League of United Latin American Citizens is calling for Ft. Hood in Texas to be renamed Ft. Benavidez.  Master Sgt. Benavidez won a Medal of Honor for actions in the Vietnam War.

Ft. Hood is named after Confederate General John Bell Hood of Kentucky who commanded a Texas regiment and later the Confederate Army of The Tennessee.

There are ten Army posts named after Confederates.  Most of these were named during WW I and WW II.  Ft. Jackson in S.C. is named for Andrew Jackson, so that one is also controversial.  Although he was a president, so that becomes iffier. 

https://www.military.com/undertheradar/2018/10/03/ten-army-bases-named-after-confederate-officers.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the specific name change for Fort Hood.  This should be right up the Senate’s alley, since besides ratifying right-wing judges to lifetime federal judgeships, renaming post offices, etc. is about all the legislative accomplishments that Mitch McConnell will allow.w

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Arturo said:

I agree with the specific name change for Fort Hood.  This should be right up the Senate’s alley, since besides ratifying right-wing judges to lifetime federal judgeships, renaming post offices, etc. is about all the legislative accomplishments that Mitch McConnell will allow.w

I have actually served at some of the posts named.  There is tremendous history for those who served at each, so name changing is complex issue.  There are very significant connections for many WW II, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf, Irag and Afghanistan wars and other military actions.

If they change names, do NOT name any after people, either groups or individuals.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Be nice if one is named after R. Lee Ermey.  

0d30e1a446cc2404382353894846095e5c54a9cb

Except that he was a Marine.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Except that he was a Marine.

Well Marine Corp bases then. :D

(it's the thought that counts)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Well Marine Corp bases then. :D

(it's the thought that counts)

Very few Marine Corps posts are named after individuals.  They are usually geographic names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now they're going after General Hood.

let me know when the go after the starship U.S.S. Hood.

I guess star trek ep the ultimate computer will have to be reedited now.

:angry:

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 11:44 AM, TheCid said:

According to Vietnam magazine, the League of United Latin American Citizens is calling for Ft. Hood in Texas to be renamed Ft. Benavidez.  Master Sgt. Benavidez won a Medal of Honor for actions in the Vietnam War.

Ft. Hood is named after Confederate General John Bell Hood of Kentucky who commanded a Texas regiment and later the Confederate Army of The Tennessee.

There are ten Army posts named after Confederates.  Most of these were named during WW I and WW II.  Ft. Jackson in S.C. is named for Andrew Jackson, so that one is also controversial.  Although he was a president, so that becomes iffier. 

https://www.military.com/undertheradar/2018/10/03/ten-army-bases-named-after-confederate-officers.html

should the Jefferson memorial be demolished because he owned slaves?

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the implication that Vietnam was less controversial than the Civil War so renaming it after a Vietnam vet is better than after a Condederate one. It's really just more identity politics as they want it named after a hispanic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

should the Jefferson memorial be demolished because he owned slaves?

:D

I think I'd give Jefferson a break on this one because they were his own children.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I think I'd give Jefferson a break on this one because they were his own children.

Realize it is a joke, but very few actually were and the mothers were not his children.

Personally I think any individual will be controversial to some.  Why is one Medal of Honor winner better than another or someone else?   Benavidez initially was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross, but it was upgraded to MOH during Reagan's Administration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Realize it is a joke, but very few actually were and the mothers were not his children.

Personally I think any individual will be controversial to some.  Why is one Medal of Honor winner better than another or someone else?   Benavidez initially was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross, but it was upgraded to MOH during Reagan's Administration.

Yeah but the mother of his slave children was his sister-in-law. LOL

Now that I've got you on the phone I want to ask you about your South Carolina soldier who was arrested for terrorism at Fort Riley in the heart of Kansas territory.

Don't send us any more like him please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yeah but the mother of his slave children was his sister-in-law. LOL

Now that I've got you on the phone I want to ask you about your South Carolina soldier who was arrested for terrorism at Fort Riley in the heart of Kansas territory.

Don't send us any more like him please.

Need to give me a reference of some kind.  Don't know what you are talking about.  Is this recent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Need to give me a reference of some kind.  Don't know what you are talking about.  Is this recent?

It's about 2 weeks ago and he was at Fort Riley.

It was September 23rd and he was Pfc. Jarrett William Smith. You remember the one that had threatened Beto and a news organization. Anyway the information I got was that he was originally from South Carolina but it was all going out over the media that he was a Kansas Soldier.

Have you heard anything about this at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Realize it is a joke, but very few actually were and the mothers were not his children.

Personally I think any individual will be controversial to some.  Why is one Medal of Honor winner better than another or someone else?   Benavidez initially was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross, but it was upgraded to MOH during Reagan's Administration.

Sally Hemings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Hemings

sally-hemings-vs-thomas-jefferson-featur

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

It's about 2 weeks ago and he was at Fort Riley.

It was September 23rd and he was Pfc. Jarrett William Smith. You remember the one that had threatened Beto and a news organization. Anyway the information I got was that he was originally from South Carolina but it was all going out over the media that he was a Kansas Soldier.

Have you heard anything about this at all?

No, but local news and local papers aren't what they used to be.  Too much coverage of local fairs and football to cover real, important news.

I think I did hear something about it on national news channels, but not much as they are too involved in reporting on Trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us