Dr. Somnambula

Julie Andrews Guest Programmer 10/29

41 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2019 at 11:30 PM, TopBilled said:

Sounds like a real fan to me! :) 

What about 1/2 a good film in 1981's S.O.B. (**1/2) the better half was with Holden, Preston, Robert Webber & Richard Mulligan  in the Viking funeral sequence

I remember as a kid all the media was about her going topless,. but they stole the show

3 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Does anyone know if the Julie Andrews parts will show up later online? I'm evacuated from my home and DVR.

I'm sorry to hear that, Dr. I'm guessing it's from the wildfires? Best of luck to you, and I hope they get things under control soon.

Hopefully someone will post the Julie Andrews stuff on the TCM site or on YouTube for you.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:48 PM, spence said:

She's probably on because of the AFI award

& she's been heavily promoting her new book "HOMEWORK" all over the airways lately

I flipped through her new book last night, looking most intently at the parts involving the movies. She's very diplomatic, and speaks glowingly of her co-stars. The love she felt for Blake Edwards really shows deeply on the pages. That's Life might not be her best-known film, but it's also clear from the book that it is almost entirely personal (so much of it mirrors real life, and the scene where she loses her cool with Jack Lemmon toward the end was entirely ad-libbed and based on real emotions in her life), so its no wonder it is showing tomorrow night. 

A bit surprising though that S.O.B. wasn't showing because she had quite a bit about that to say as well about how great the cast was and how it was a catharsis for she and her husband. (the script was written in the early 70s, but evidently it wasn't made sooner because some studio heads feared that the villains were based on them!)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm sorry to hear that, Dr. I'm guessing it's from the wildfires? Best of luck to you, and I hope they get things under control soon.

Hopefully someone will post the Julie Andrews stuff on the TCM site or on YouTube for you.

Thanks! Yes, CA. The Kincade Fire in Sonoma County.

42 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

A bit surprising though that S.O.B. wasn't showing because she had quite a bit about that to say as well about how great the cast was and how it was a catharsis for she and her husband. (the script was written in the early 70s, but evidently it wasn't made sooner because some studio heads feared that the villains were based on them!)

Well, the villains in S.O.B. were inspired by studio executives who interfered with some of Blake Edwards's movies such as  Darling Lili.

• Thanks 1

I caught portions of a few of the intros as Ben hosted with Julie Andrews for 3 films Tuesday evening.  As BingFan, mr6666 and CinemaInternational mention above there were several references to Julie's recent memoir.  Sorry but I don't see a replay of the introductions on WatchTCM (Victor/Victoria is there but currently does not have any introductory material).

Somehow I was previously completely unaware of the film That's Life, so it was interesting to hear how the movie was shot at the house where Julie was living with her husband Blake Edwards.

Ben did a nice job with what was essentially an ongoing interview and discussion of the films.  It was a bit of a promotion as Ben asked Julie questions about stories from the book.  I really don't mind, though, as it is nice to have the opportunity to see such icons again any chance we get.

• Thanks 1

My cable box failed. Turns out it didn't have a physical hard drive. So my DVR is already cloud based. I remotely programmed to record all 4 Julie Andrews movies. So I will get to see them.

• Thanks 1

I see that Julie was on the British series The Graham Norton Show last evening (along with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon).  For those of you who have access to the channel, this episode is currently scheduled to be shown in the U.S. on BBC America on Friday, November 15 at 11 pm ET.

If you haven't seen it before, Graham Norton has a really fun talk show, music performance format.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

does she still have her umbrella with the parrot or is it an owl handle?

Image result for julie andrews mary poppins

and I doan care if she can't sing anymore.

Julie is still mary poppins to me.