Dr. Somnambula

Julie Andrews Guest Programmer 10/29

41 posts in this topic

Originally they had it listed as a spotlight of Julie Andrews films. Now it seems they've managed to get Ms. Andrews to appear for the wraparound segments.

• Like 2

Part of my curiosity is what happens after V/V? It would end after 1 AM. Emily starts at 3:30. That's a lot of chatting with Julie.

6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

That's life is the one in the gap, I think.....

Excellent guess. 102 minutes.

4 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I'm excited to see Julie Andrews as a guest programmer discussing her own movies!

If only TCM could air Mary Poppins!  

ABC (and Freeform, formerly ABC Family) have exclusive airing rights to her two most famous films. If only....

• Like 1

Julie has a book coming out on Oct. 15: Homework: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years.  I imagine she'll be discussing it with Ben (or whoever the host is that night).

The book will probably be of interest to many TCM viewers, given the subject matter.  I read her earlier memoir, Home: A Memoir of My Early Years, and really enjoyed it, even though I'm not a particular Julie Andrews fan.  I always like her when I see her, though -- she's great in Mary Poppins, The Americanization of Emily, and Victor/Victoria, which may be the only movies of hers that I've seen all the way through.  Still, I really enjoyed Home and plan to read Homework.

6 hours ago, BingFan said:

Julie has a book coming out on Oct. 15: Homework: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years.  I imagine she'll be discussing it with Ben (or whoever the host is that night).

The book will probably be of interest to many TCM viewers, given the subject matter.  I read her earlier memoir, Home: A Memoir of My Early Years, and really enjoyed it, even though I'm not a particular Julie Andrews fan.  I always like her when I see her, though -- she's great in Mary Poppins, The Americanization of Emily, and Victor/Victoria, which may be the only movies of hers that I've seen all the way through.  Still, I really enjoyed Home and plan to read Homework.

Sounds like a real fan to me! :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BingFan said:

Fingers crossed it will be Eddie Mueller ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BingFan said:

Julie has a book coming out on Oct. 15: Homework: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years.

Thanks! I too loved the first book-never realized she was a child prodigy until reading it.

18 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I was cruising the monthly guide and noticed a gap on the evening of October 29th.

So I went to the daily guide and found Julie Andrews as Guest Host.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-10-29

There are 3 movies with room for a 4th.

I don't see Julie as Guest Host on this site.

So, what is the skinny?

Really she's gonna be Guest Host, or a GP-(Guest Programmer?)

(TRIVIA: not particularly a fan of *Julie, but name her Oscar nods & 1 victory, the yrs she was crowned annual $Box-0ffice$ champion & this is not trivia, but who else saw 1981's Blake Edward's S.O.B.?  To me her half of the comedy was ok, but *Holden's & his pals was tremendous! A mixed bag (strong **1/2-out of 4 stars)

By the way S.O.B. was *William's final film, he was drunk as... & fell in his apt in Santa Monica opening his head on a table not found for a longtime, so much so they  didn't recognize him when finally found in November of 1981-(to me he's linked with NATALIE WOOD because she died same awful weekend & tv's ET was born covering her stunning death daily)

In answer to her oms she has 3 to date, but what for

& I still have a problem myself in her getting the annual AFI Award over *Duvall, *Hopkins  think she'll be around longer

Julie Andrews is kind of like Greer Garson to me inasmuch as while I never really cared for either actress in the movies that much I still find both ladies to be exceedingly gracious and charming when interviewed.

Having said that I am a fan of Victor Victoria (as well as The Americanization of Emily, to a lesser degree) and think that, on this occasion, at least, Miss Andrews is a terrific performer. James Garner was her co-star in both films, and he really shines with brilliant dialogue delivery in Emily.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Um, excuse me, it’s pronounced “🎶JUUUUUUUUUUULIE AAAAAAAAANDREWS🎶🎶

(it’s the magic word!)

LOL!!!

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Fingers crossed it will be Eddie Mueller ...

ROFL.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spence said:

Really she's gonna be Guest Host, or a GP-(Guest Programmer?)

Guest Programmer. Good call spence. In my humble opinion, Hostess. The programming had already been decided. I would prefer Julie Andrews teams up with Alicia Malone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Julie Andrews is kind of like Greer Garson to me inasmuch as while I never really cared for either actress in the movies that much I still find both ladies to be exceedingly gracious and charming when interviewed.

Having said that I am a fan of Victor Victoria (as well as The Americanization of Emily, to a lesser degree) and think that, on this occasion, at least, Miss Andrews is a terrific performer. James Garner was her co-star in both films, and he really shines with brilliant dialogue delivery in Emily.

L.B. Mayer was almost in love with *Garson & considered her the grand epitome of a lady & true story, the toughest as nails epitome of a movie mogul-(*Harry Cohn being the meanest, but barely) tried to off himself over being rejected by Ann-Miller,  sleeping pills   Believe James Bacon said it was after WW11

Americanization of Emily (***1/2) was not only James Garner's personal favorite he made, but pal *Eastwood's too & deserved more *Oscar attention then it got  *Melvyn Douglas-(l90l-8l) musta' aged faster then any other famous actor, except of course *The Great: Spencer Tracy   Even non moviebuffs are stunned when they see him in say Nuremberg & you tell them he's only age 61   Don't know much about *Douglas, if he was a drinker,etc   Look at the man in Captains Courageous, Ninotchka & then Being There?

Personally I like *Greer-(said to be Irish but most say was really Scottish) over *Julie & tied *Bette Davis 5 consecutive *Oscar nods   1939, 40, 41, 42 & 1943 which as competitive as *Bette was probably did not sit well with the fmr AMPAS president, same as not being voted & crowned The Queen of Hollywood-(Myrna Loy was) in the same 1938 moviefans survey 20 million replied. And of course *Gable was easily voted The King.  I suspect the equally competitive *Joan Crawford was not thrilled about that either.   Garbo & *Kate wouldn't have cared less though   The still there for ow El Capitain is where they held the official presentation with *Tracy actually crowning sometime pal *Gable   L.B. & M-G-M at first held a ceremony at the factory, but all said it was cheap & tacky  (TRIVIA: you also mentioned 1982's terrific (***1/2) Victor/Victoria, it's by far the most nommed film of Blake Edwards career, though he was never up for a statuette, with 7 noms  & whatever became of Leslie Ann-warren, she was dynamic in there  I know she's still around in her 70s obviously never had another like that though   Lots of fellow Oscar oddsmakers predicted 1st time Robert Preston to Walk Down-the-Aisle for it  but I stuck to my guns & *Louis Gossett, Jr in An 0fficer and a Gentleman won  1982-(my debut yr going to 36-60 new releases & forecasting Oscar) was a great cinematic year

29 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Guest Programmer. Good call spence. In my humble opinion, Hostess. The programming had already been decided. I would prefer Julie Andrews teams up with Alicia Malone.

A. Malone seems just perfecto for it, doesn't she   wish there were more info on her, like her favorite's & more

Mr. Karger on the other hand is another story

On 10/4/2019 at 6:40 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Um, excuse me, it’s pronounced “🎶JUUUUUUUUUUULIE AAAAAAAAANDREWS🎶🎶

(it’s the magic word!)

I think it would be funny if Julie Andrews picked Bedazzled as one of the movies for her Guest Programmer appearance.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I think it would be funny if Julie Andrews picked Bedazzled as one of the movies for her Guest Programmer appearance.

Sorry. Can't change the title of this thread as it requires a right mouse click and I no longer use a computer. I love your creative user name BOAPOOR. Love both bagels and onion rolls.

When seagulls hang out at the bay, they become baygulls. I think TCM should play S.O.B. Then she can blush while explaining the topless situation.

Kind of reminds me how huge it was when Jane Fonda dropped an F-Bomb in Georgia Rule.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:07 PM, Dr. Somnambula said:

I think TCM should play S.O.B. Then she can blush while explaining the topless situation.

TCM aired S.O.B. a couple of years ago as part of an evening devoted to Blake Edwards movies.

I agree that it would be fun to hear Julie Andrews's commentary about the movie.

In real life, she is known for being quite bawdy although it was a shock for the general public to see "Mary Poppins" and "Maria von Trapp" go topless.