speedracer5

January 2020 Schedule is Up! Patricia Neal SOTM

23 posts in this topic

It looks like TCM is currently in the process of uploading January 2020's schedule.  It looks like they don't have quite everything posted yet, but there's enough posted to know who SOTM is.  It looks like it's Patricia Neal.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2019-12-29

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=pst&sdate=2020-01-05

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=pst&sdate=2020-01-12

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=pst&sdate=2020-01-19

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=pst&sdate=2020-01-26

Noir Alley

1/4 The Big Sleep

1/11 The Big Night

1/18 The Captive City

1/25 Try and Get Me!

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a spotlight throughout the month on the 1920s...... 

And TCM really doesn't want people to sleep on the last Sunday of the Month. The infamous The Night Porter (about a masochistic relationship between a Nazi prison guard and one of his former inmates) is followed by Come and See (a Russian war film considered to be an exceptional but also extremely emotionally distressing film). Whatever they are, they will never be advertised with the phrases "Fun!" or "A Barrel of Laughs!"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silent Sundays

  • Bardelys the Magnificent
  • The Lodger
  • a bunch of Harold Lloyd shorts on the 19th
  • The Outlaw and His Wife

 

TCM Imports

  • The Shop on Main Street
  • Kapo
  • The Bridge
  • Au revoir, les enfants
  • Lacombe, Lucien
  • The Night Porter
  • Come and See

 

TCM Underground

  • Chopping Mall
  • Multiple Maniacs
  • Female Trouble
  • The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover
  • It's Alive (1974)
  • Scary Movie (1991)
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
  • Deathsport
  • Cherry 2000

 

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Seems like a spotlight throughout the month on the 1920s...... 

And TCM really doesn't want people to sleep on the last Sunday of the Month. The infamous The Night Porter (about a masochistic relationship between a Nazi prison guard and one of his former inmates) is followed by Come and See (a Russian war film considered to be an exceptional but also extremely emotionally distressing film). Whatever they are, they will never be advertised with the phrases "Fun!" or "A Barrel of Laughs!"

Want to bet Night Porter gets pulled? I'm still waiting on The Damned (that got pulled and never rescheduled)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another repeat SOTM. What else is new? Nothing against Neal, but.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hibi said:

Want to bet Night Porter gets pulled? I'm still waiting on The Damned (that got pulled and never rescheduled)...

I'll go out on a limb and say Night porter stays on due to it being a Criterion title. Filmstruck might not have lasted, but ever since it was founded and even after it closed, TCM and Criterion have been as thick as thieves in the TCM Imports slots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Seems like a spotlight throughout the month on the 1920s...... 

And TCM really doesn't want people to sleep on the last Sunday of the Month. The infamous The Night Porter (about a masochistic relationship between a Nazi prison guard and one of his former inmates) is followed by Come and See (a Russian war film considered to be an exceptional but also extremely emotionally distressing film). Whatever they are, they will never be advertised with the phrases "Fun!" or "A Barrel of Laughs!"

Come and See is an outstanding film, but it is tough viewing. I wasn't thrilled with The Night Porter. It was a little too dull and serious for its scandalous reputation.

I'd recommend all of the other TCM Imports films, as well, especially the lesser known The Bridge.

The Oulaw and His Wife is an interesting early effort from Victor Sjostrom (The Phantom Carriage).

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next night after Come and See, they also have more films on the Holocaust scheduled, including one by the director of Shoah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

TCM Underground

 

  • The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover

 

This has a pretty starry cast for underground: Broderick Crawford, Dan Dailey, Michael Parks, Jose Ferrer, Celeste Holm, John Marley, Howard De Silva, Rip Torn, Ronee Blakeley, Lloyd Nolan, Jack Cassidy, June Havoc....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

This has a pretty starry cast for underground: Broderick Crawford, Dan Dailey, Michael Parks, Jose Ferrer, Celeste Holm, John Marley, Howard De Silva, Rip Torn, Ronee Blakeley, Lloyd Nolan, Jack Cassidy, June Havoc....

Yeah, it's rather sedate for a TCM Underground film, but it's written and directed by Larry Cohen, who also wrote-directed the following It's Alive, the best of the monster-baby movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No, Hoover.

1977.

I think it was to promote that Hoover film that Broderick Crawford became one of the least expected hosts of Saturday Night Live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm still waiting on The Damned (that got pulled and never rescheduled)...

If you're thinking of the Dirk Bogarde movie about the Krupp family, don't waste your time waiting.  It's not very good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At last, the long awaited (by me at least) TCM premiere of Once Upon a Time in America.  Plus Bugsy Malone, Whiskey Galore, and Come and See.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, skimpole said:

, the long awaited (by me at least) TCM premiere of Once Upon a Time in America. 

Long awaited by me as well! Looks like they've blocked off enough time for the full four-hour version. I hope it remains on the schedule!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hibi said:

Another repeat SOTM. What else is new? Nothing against Neal, but.........

Patricia Neal has been Star of the Month before? Does anybody know when? I haven't seen very many of her movies, so this is okay with me.

I'm glad they're including Hud, which I think got left off of Paul Newman's month, but I don't think I saw In Harm's Way or Cookie's Fortune listed.

Edit: I just meandered over to the SOTM board, where of course TopBilled already has a Neal thread up and running, and he claims this is her first SOTM billing. Perhaps she's had an SUTS day before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, skimpole said:

Plus Bugsy Malone, Whiskey Galore, and Come and See.

Whiskey Galore has played on TCM before (it's fun) and Bugsy Malone is in heavy rotation on Pluto's Paramount Classics channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

1977.

I think it was to promote that Hoover film that Broderick Crawford became one of the least expected hosts of Saturday Night Live.

OMG!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fedya said:

If you're thinking of the Dirk Bogarde movie about the Krupp family, don't waste your time waiting.  It's not very good.

I still want to see it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Patricia Neal has been Star of the Month before? Does anybody know when? I haven't seen very many of her movies, so this is okay with me.

I'm glad they're including Hud, which I think got left off of Paul Newman's month, but I don't think I saw In Harm's Way or Cookie's Fortune listed.

Edit: I just meandered over to the SOTM board, where of course TopBilled already has a Neal thread up and running, and he claims this is her first SOTM billing. Perhaps she's had an SUTS day before?

I'm almost certain she was SOTM before, but I can't be sure. Maybe someone could check. If so, I retract my complaint!

 

Yes, she's had a SUTS day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us