TopBilled

If TCM did a month-long series of films about sex...

81 posts in this topic

What kinds of films could or would TCM show if it did a series on sex in the movies? I don't mean X-rated ones...but maybe some R-rated or even NC-17 rated films late at night. Also, I think they could look at how sex was depicted in pre-code films, then how the topic was treated during the production code era.

What's inspired this thread is the fact that Starz has put together its own theme about sex-related movies. And these are some of the ones they have chosen:

WAITING TO EXHALE (1995) Four African American women have various sexual relationships.
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (2005) Same sex is explored.
FOR A GOOD TIME, CALL... (2012) Two roommates have a knack for talking dirty.
THE NEIGHBOR (2018) William Fichtner plays a man who watches his neighbors. 
GETTING NAKED: A BURLESQUE STORY (2018) A documentary about the neo-burlesque scene in New York City.

• Like 1

They could show Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice and do a night about open relationships, or swinging, or the 1960s sexual  revolution. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

They could show Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice and do a night about open relationships, or swinging, or the 1960s sexual  revolution. 

Yes. That would be an interesting evening of films. 

They could also do a night of sex farces, including some of Doris Day's movies from the late 50s and early 60s.

• Like 1

I kind of think TCM would be sheepish around the subject. They don't often show straight-up sex films, the occasional abnormality like Beyond the Valley of the Dolls or Myra Breckinridge aside. After all i think the recent airing of Coming Home had to have been edited. Had to have been thanks to the TV-14 rating. Of course though, that was the same day that Hair aired at 3:45 PM :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Along the lines of precodes... 

They could do a theme on how sex between characters was implied during the production code era. E.g. the post-coital cigarette. 

4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I kind of think TCM would be sheepish around the subject. 

Why do you think they would be sheepish?

If it's done respectfully and intelligently, I don't see where there would be a problem.

22 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I kind of think TCM would be sheepish around the subject. They don't often show straight-up sex films, the occasional abnormality like Beyond the Valley of the Dolls or Myra Breckinridge aside. After all i think the recent airing of Coming Home had to have been edited. Had to have been thanks to the TV-14 rating. Of course though, that was the same day that Hair aired at 3:45 PM :unsure:

I recorded and watched Coming Home and it was pretty explicit. I cant really say if it was edited though as I hadn't seen the film since it came out. It certainly wasnt the tv edit from the network showing........

STILL think Ingrid Bergman should've won that year........

Just now, TopBilled said:

Why do you think they would be sheepish?

TCM certainly shows plenty of pre-codes which were suggestive, but from today's vantage point were not very explicit. But, most films from the late 60s onward that do feature such more risque scenes are usually shown late at night with only the rare exception like Hair or Reflections of a Golden Eye, both of which have played in afternoons past. Given that 8 PM films on the East Coast are at 5 PM on the West, it might prove a bit inopportune, because, though unlikely, the FCC might argue that young children might somehow be "exposed" (heh) to inappropriate material and thus veto an idea. TCM rarely has full nights of TV-MA material.

Just now, Hibi said:

STILL think Ingrid Bergman should've won that year........

Absolutely. Personal ranking of the nominees: Bergman, Clayburgh, Fonda, Burstyn, Page. i would have liked a Liv Ullmann nomination for that film as well. Geraldine Chaplin was riveting in Remember My Name. Fonda was just as good in Comes a horseman. And that year was strong for good female comic performances: Goldie Hawn in Foul Play, Jacqueline Bisset in Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe, Glenda Jackson in House Calls

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

TCM certainly shows plenty of pre-codes which were suggestive, but from today's vantage point were not very explicit. But, most films from the late 60s onward that do feature such more risque scenes are usually shown late at night with only the rare exception like Hair or Reflections of a Golden Eye, both of which have played in afternoons past. Given that 8 PM films on the East Coast are at 5 PM on the West, it might prove a bit inopportune, because, though unlikely, the FCC might argue that young children might somehow be "exposed" (heh) to inappropriate material and thus veto an idea. TCM rarely has full nights of TV-MA material.

Cable channels aren't subject to those broadcast FCC fines, though, are they?

TCM did air Women in Love awhile back, that was pretty racy.

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Cable channels aren't subject to those broadcast FCC fines, though, are they?

I don't think FCC has jurisdiction over cable or streaming? Maybe it's because people choose to pay for those services...

That's why most of the big award-winning shows are on cable or streaming, they don't have to follow any FCC guidelines.

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Absolutely. Personal ranking of the nominees: Bergman, Clayburgh, Fonda, Burstyn, Page. i would have liked a Liv Ullmann nomination for that film as well. Geraldine Chaplin was riveting in Remember My Name. Fonda was just as good in Comes a horseman. And that year was strong for good female comic performances: Goldie Hawn in Foul Play, Jacqueline Bisset in Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe, Glenda Jackson in House Calls

Agree Liv should've got a nomination also for that film. Yeah, I really liked Remember My Name when I finally got the chance to see it. Film turned me on to Alberta Hunter and I bought the soundtrack. But the film bombed so Chaplin lost out.........

• Thanks 1

BTW. Kind of approriate at the moment with this that the top three threads say "Hot! Hot! Hot!" Now to complete the picture all that's needed is some Pointer Sisters music.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

TCM did air Women in Love awhile back, that was pretty racy.

TCM has also shown Atame Atame too. That one even shows a closeup of a scuba diver toy entering a woman in her bath.

....it still wouldn't show Don't Look Now. 

But seriously Eyes Wide Shut, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Boogie Nights, Pasolini's Arabian Nights, Chelsea Girls all deserve to be shown.

• Like 2

They would begin with as many movies as they could get that they have easy access to. I almost guarantee Carnal Knowledge would be on the list. And The Moon is Blue. And Lolita.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

They would begin with as many movies as they could get that they have easy access to. I almost guarantee Carnal Knowledge would be on the list. And The Moon is Blue. And Lolita.

Absolutely. You're right about this. But those films would lend themselves to a proper discussion about sex in the movies.

It's been a long time since they last showed the Hedy Lamar film Ecstasy, but that would certainly be worthy.

Some mainstream classics that deal with sex rather directly (if not explicitly):

Design for Living (menage a trois)

Cat People (more about a lack of sex, but worth discussing anyway)

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (Kockenlocker)

Madame Bovary (in which Jennifer Jones practically **** as she thinks of her first tryst with Louis Jourdan)

A Place in the Sun (unwanted pregnancy)

A Summer Place (the most seXXXed up story I've seen in a 50s movie.  Almost every discussion is about sex.)

Splendor in the Grass (sexual frustration and pressure to be popular)

*Edit: I see my comment on Madame Bovary was censored.  The basic idea is that she has a "release" while remembering the experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Feego said:

It's been a long time since they last showed the Hedy Lamar film Ecstasy, but that would certainly be worthy.

Some mainstream classics that deal with sex rather directly (if not explicitly):

Design for Living (menage a trois)

Cat People (more about a lack of sex, but worth discussing anyway)

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (Kockenlocker)

Madame Bovary (in which Jennifer Jones practically **** as she thinks of her first tryst with Louis Jourdan)

A Place in the Sun (unwanted pregnancy)

A Summer Place (the most seXXXed up story I've seen in a 50s movie.  Almost every discussion is about sex.)

Splendor in the Grass (sexual frustration and pressure to be popular)

*Edit: I see my comment on Madame Bovary was censored.  The basic idea is that she has a "release" while remembering the experience.

Interesting list. As for post-code movies, I think SEX LIES AND VIDEOTAPE would certainly be worthy of inclusion.

For several years PLAYBOY magazine had monthly articles( yeah, I did actually read them.  ;) ) titled "Sex In Cinema" which too, I believe they compiled into a couple/few volumes of books.  And the articles did cover the use of sex and suggestive footage and subject matter going back to the infancy of the medium to the present( which was 'bout the mid '70's) .  Perhaps TCM could use those volumes to get an idea of which movies to feature.  ;) 

Sepiatone

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

For several years PLAYBOY magazine had monthly articles( yeah, I did actually read them.  ;) ) titled "Sex In Cinema" which too, I believe they compiled into a couple/few volumes of books.  And the articles did cover the use of sex and suggestive footage and subject matter going back to the infancy of the medium to the present( which was 'bout the mid '70's) .  Perhaps TCM could use those volumes to get an idea of which movies to feature.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Probably TCM would make it more of an academic study of sex in the movies, with some scholarly expert featured as part of the wraparounds.