spence

THE JOKER sad, depressing, haunting & tremendous

64 posts in this topic

Always go to the news & then e mails first & couldn't help one of the top stories about The Joker-(I;m seeing it today) & they have ordered a lot more police at screenings of the movie, Colorado already drew the line on a few things last week  Of course the mass shooting in a theatre showing The Dark Knight & the punk had Joker make up on.  It id not-(or I didn't read entire story yet) note of this was everywhere or not though

Check it out 

other than increasing the size if it's $B.O.$ due to all the publicity-(I predicted $250 to $275m domestic)

some of it may be hurt due to older, respectful & law biding quiet moviegoers?

You probably know that Joaquin Phoenix joaqued, ahem, walked out of an interview during a press junquet, ahem, junket and after some reporter asked him if he thought his new movie might elicit some wacquo, ahem, wacko to engage in some form of mass violence against the public, don't ya spence?

Btw, is there any truth to the rumor that his next movie is scheduled to be a remake of those old Joe Don Baker flicks where he carries around a baseball bat, and with the present working title of "Joaquin Tall"? And even more ironically set in the city of Phoenix Arizona this time?

(...okay, sorry, THAT'S it...yep, I'm pretty sure I've already had enough coffee for today...okay, and maybe way too many Marx Bros movies of late TOO)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is possible danger here. Let's not forget about the 2012 massacre in Aurora, Colorado and that too was a dark film from a DC comic book source.

The national movie theater chain that has locations in our area is forbidding any costumes including masks or face paint for screenings of "Joker".

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

You probably know that Joaquin Phoenix joaqued, ahem, walked out of an interview during a press junquet, ahem, junket and after some reporter asked him if he thought his new movie might elicit some wacquo, ahem, wacko to engage in some form of mass violence against the public, don't ya spence?

Btw, is there any truth to the rumor that his next movie is scheduled to be a remake of those old Joe Don Baker flicks where he carries around a baseball bat, and with the present working title of "Joaquin Tall"? And even more ironically set in the city of Phoenix Arizona this time?

(...okay, sorry, THAT'S it...yep, I'm pretty sure I've already had enough coffee for today...okay, and maybe way too many Marx Bros movies of late TOO)

Don't you know making fun of someone's name is rude. That's a River you should never cross.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

DARGO, you know the truth, there are never too many MARX BROS movies to study  addictive tosay the least  on that note as a kid of about age 13 somehow & I totally forget how I got it, I was given a then moldy smelling book titled THE MARX  BROTHERS SCRAPBOK   Still have it among my collection & love it BIG-TIME!  Do you have it?  Mostly takes place around '71 & Groucho being interviewed   Did you also like YOU BET YOUR LIFE?

8 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Don't you know making fun of someone's name is rude. That's a River you should never cross.

Just saw JOKER yesterday & it is tremendous, but not what people think

He can be rude & bizarre-(to quite an episode of Sienfeld) the late night talk show hosts' had a field day when he lost the Oscar to Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Capote (2005) &showed Phoenix-(up for Walk the Line) & the scowl on his face was hilarious  Then he appeared on Letterman with full beard & barely spoke   The hype is absolutely 100% though, he has the GOLDEN STATUE for this film

went to it yesterday here in Pinellas Co, FL & nothing was going on  Then last evening I heard more about the cops thing, thy will be plane clothed cops with guns at certain screenings & even here absolutely no make up is allowed  But, once you see the fantastic film, you'll see it's obviously not that kind of movie like a Marvel & seeing over & over type, just stunning   It's not like anybody thought in advance

Just went to The Joker yesterday afternoon & as I just write elsewhere it was calm, quiet & no punks  Matter if fact the few that were there were 25 & up for the most part Even here in FL though still no make-up allowed & after those awful movie theatre shootings yrs ago they used to have to check moviegoers bags, even ladies purses, then they stopped for a longtime, though for this did have to just briefly look inside my old, original 1994 TCM Duffel Bag.

As for the hugely hyped movie it's like nothing folks expected in advance, a very dark, sad, haunting-(especially after) & yes, ultra violent-(though brief outbursts only) motion picture & critics are somewhat accurate in comparing it to Taxi-Driver, somewhat only though, because Travis Bickle was a loner but strong as..... J. Phoenix's character is stunningly weak to start with. As I watched I kept thinking NYC is thee single worst place for the guy to live in. Not to divulge too much & people should be banned for giving away it's last 40 minutes or so!  It's a stunner to say the least  Most coverage hardly shows *De Niro in here, but he's a pivotal part of this somewhat Thriller.  Not exactly Marvel material, so unlikely people will go back and back to it. I respect it, but don't love it like  Stan & 0llie

As for J. Phoenix-(birth name was Leaf, his parents were hippies & named him that & River Phoenix & I think there are more in the family)  Never liked Joaquin myself, but as all say he is amazing here & has the Academy Award, it's the motion picture itself that stunned me, it was fantastic  & any idiots that may want to take their kids to this are crazier then this title character  I since seeing it if it's potential blockbuster $B.O$ may not be quite as huge-(I predicted $275m.) because it is so dark & repeat viewings don't seem like they will happen, not like the Marvel flix Certainly not Batman or Avengers material   I'd say the Dark Knight (2008) was a lot more violent   My personal score highest possible 4 out of 4 stars!) & best new release I went to in a year     Next hopefully *GFII & maybe if it opens-(Nov. 27th) The Irishman

Check it out for yourself

Thank you

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine also went here is his review:

Taxi Driver plus The King of Comedy minus any semblance of subtlety plus an extra dose of heavy-handedness = Joker (2019) - 4/10
I could write an essay about how dumb this cute little movie is, but I don’t need to. Just don’t watch it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have absolutely zero desire to see this film.

I am so sick of the Joker, Batman, and everything Joker/Batman-adjacent. 

Enough already!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Enough already!

I watched Batman on TV. I was pre-teen. Even the Superman stuff. Lost In Space and Star Trek. Have not watched any of the movies. Don't want to.

Now that you're all sick and tired of this stuff, it's time now to try opera.

• Haha 1

I'm sure its probably a fine film. But, the "I'm an outcast so I'll become a criminal", theme really doesn't appeal to me. I'm at the stage in my life where I like light hearted or action or intrigue or suspense in my entertainment. And this doesn't sound like any of that.

Talk about depression, some guy just hit my neighbor's car across the street from me a few hours ago. I don't need a movie ticket to see drama. I can just look outside the window.

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Enough already!

From the trailer I've seen, can't personally connect this version of the Joker with Batman.

Wonder is he laughing now that Batman has teamed up with the others to form the Justice League? ;)

moxmoiowpjtvrd1xs5uh.jpg

Seen "Wonder Woman" (2017) for the first time last week, wasn't bad. Since she killed a god (Ares) should she be called Super Woman? :D

(Lynda Carter is now so lame.)

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

A friend of mine also went here is his review:

Taxi Driver plus The King of Comedy minus any semblance of subtlety plus an extra dose of heavy-handedness = Joker (2019) - 4/10
I could write an essay about how dumb this cute little movie is, but I don’t need to. Just don’t watch it.

cigarjoe, you also already went to it?   But cute is one word I'd never use for this one buddy  as you know the media & all go through cycles & right now it's this one, the flavor of the week & believe me despite what they say, they want violence in theaters  it's more coverage for them, like 24-7 thesedays on Trump.   Don't know after seeing it if that's gonna happen though, do yo?  It's not the DK or anything like that   Athough thought The Dark Knight was grand overall filmmaking myself, just fed up with sequels, remakes & comic books turned to regular film

& the had a field day on THE IRISHMAN last week, they will easily get back to it as Oscar season approaches though

7 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

O, THANKS ARGUABKY BUGS GREATEST & Although *WALT DESERVEDLY WON AN INCREDBLE 26 *OSCARS, THE ONE AND ONLY FOR MR. BUGS BUNNY was 1958'S KNIGHTY, KNIGHT BUGS?

MY BYFAR ALL-TIME FAVORTE THUGH 7 HE HAS A CAMEO IS DURUNG THE WAR  HOLLYWOOD, STEPS OUT   CAN YOU FIND THAT ONE AS WELL? I AVE IT IN FAVS BUT STILL CANNOT TRANSLATE TO OTHER PLACES

THANKS

I HAVE ANOTHER OOK SOMEWHAT LIKE AKTWERNATE OSCARS & IT'S AUTHORVITEDTHIS AS GEST OICTURE FOR 1957   Larry Gelbert is his name & he called them his Gelbert's Golden Arm Chair Awards-(some off the wall choices over the years)

I got a postcard quality shot of MEL BLANC'S GRAVE HOLLYWOOD FOREVER, CEM

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, that's how I feel too. The superhero stuff has really worn out its welcome. Relevant article-

https://jacobitemag.com/2019/05/14/capeshits-endgame/

know exactly what your saying Avengers: End Game is by far the highest grosser at $858m. of 2019 & runner-up only to SW: The Force Awakens ($937m. domestic only) of all-time & the majority now of the top ten biggest $hits$ are comics, except a couple like *Titanic  see they keep cranking out these flix & action films because they make more internationally then just here  Hence the huge flop here of Sly's Rambo & next year-(though could be good) the 5th Indy movie.