Hibi

Diahann Carroll Has Died

32 posts in this topic

Unsure of the details. Just saw it on the web.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

Oh my. Truly sad. 

She did a fantastic interview about her life and career with the Television Academy Foundation in 1998:

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/diahann-carroll#interview-clips

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 9.21.51 AM

"The responsibility of that box sitting in our homes is not something that any of us can walk away from. For the young person that is sitting there, we're helping to put their thought processes together about many areas of their lives. If we don't accept that responsibility, it's not good."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am not really that familiar with Diahann Carroll's work.  I've never seen Julia. I know she was in Dynasty.

What I do remember however is thinking that she always looked so glamorous when she appeared at events and I liked hearing her speak. She was so very articulate and interesting.

I read that she passed away from cancer.

RIP Diahann. 

2019 has been a cruel year. 

Awhile back I wrote a piece called "Stand-out performances by women" and included Diahann's work from an independent film I love:

Diahann Carroll as Elzora in EVE'S BAYOU (1997)

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 8.30.43 AM.jpeg

Nobody holds a candle to Diahann Carroll. She's perfectly stylish and haunting as a fortune telling witch in EVE'S BAYOU. She should have had an Oscar nomination.

After I wrote this, it occurred to me that nobody but Diahann Carroll could have gotten away with doing "white face" in a movie.

• Like 2

Very sad. a lovely woman. Beautiful, intelligent, glamorous with a lovely singing voice and a really good actress. Condolences to her family.

RIP Diahann Carroll

• Like 4

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 9.30.50 AM

They played bitter rivals on Dynasty but off-screen Diahann and Joan were very good friends.

Here's their first scene together on the show. You gotta love the way they got those snide little comments in:

And here's a catfight they had later:

• Like 1

I remember that Diahann's name came up here recently when we were discussing Carol Lynley having dated David Frost; Diahann was engaged to him.  (But no one said anything negative about her acting skills.)

Although now I am thinking about who else Frost may have dated.

Wasn't she an Oscar contender for Claudine?

• Like 2

to me she will always be the sweet nurse Julia that I and my siblings watched on NBC when we were kids.

whatta nice lady.

:)

Image result for diahann carroll julia

Image result for diahann carroll julia

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Oh my. Truly sad. 

She did a fantastic interview about her life and career with the Television Academy Foundation in 1998:

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/diahann-carroll#interview-clips

"The responsibility of that box sitting in our homes is not something that any of us can walk away from. For the young person that is sitting there, we're helping to put their thought processes together about many areas of their lives. If we don't accept that responsibility, it's not good."

Terrific job again top,  I was correct she was up for 1974's Claudine but didn't have a chance vs winner *Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (*Scorsese yet again)  but My own Alternate Oscar that year must go to Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 9.30.50 AM

They played bitter rivals on Dynasty but off-screen Diahann and Joan were very good friends.

Here's their first scene together on the show. You gotta love the way they got those snide little comments in:

And here's a catfight they had later:

YUK THOUGH JOAN COLLINS!!!

6 minutes ago, spence said:

Terrific job again top,  I was correct she was up for 1974's Claudine but didn't have a chance vs winner *Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (*Scorsese yet again)  but My own Alternate Oscar that year must go to Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence

They all gave great performances that year, including Diahann.

Another performance I enjoy is in SISTER SISTER (1982) a TV movie about three African American siblings. They're struggling to make ends meet, dealing with the men in their lives and the kids they're raising. In that one, Diahann is paired with Rosalind Cash and Irene Cara.

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 10.59.05 AM.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister,_Sister_(1982_film)

• Like 1

Diahann was a TCM guest programmer on September 30, 2015.

Here's a thread I had created about it (you can see which films she selected):

• Thanks 1

Gone from us too soon. RIP. 

Here's Ms. Carroll in her Tony Award-winning Best Actress performance for 1962:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

She was exceptional in her Oscar noimnated performance in Claudine, and she also shone in two underrated titles Paris Blues and Eve's Bayou (which was added to the Library of Congress's film preservation list just this past year)

• Like 1

Beautiful, talented gal. I love her smile.  ~RIP

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Oh my. Truly sad. 

Diahann Carroll did so much that it's impossible to pigeonhole her or Typecast her. Her Talent was solid diversity.

But I enjoyed her best when she was singing. She was one of Judy Garland's singing guests on that legendary TV show-- it was a great honor because only the best singers were invited to sing along with Judy.

On Broadway Diahann got the singular honor of starring in the first musical Dick Rogers ever did on his own, No Strings/ "The Sweetest Sounds".

In the 80s she was married to the fine singer Vic Damone and they were like the Steve and Eydie of the cruise lines.

She was such a solid Entertainer that it's hard to see who's going to be replacing people like her in the future.

• Like 1