Gershwin fan

Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

133 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

how did nick fury become a negro when for decades he was white???

:D

and he smoked cigars too.

Image result for nick fury white

He was black all along, he was just passing for white.

• Haha 1

Oh they are movies.... mind you I haven't seen too many superhero films though.... Superman from 1978 is still by far the best of the ones I've seen (Wonder Woman, two Batman films, Black panther). As for the Marvel films, I only saw Black Panther, and I just couldn't fully get into it. It had its striking moments, but it was a bit flat for me, and I kept waiting for something big for Angela Bassett to do. If it came to 2018 blockbusters, I preferred the non-superhero Ready Player One, which made me feel as giddy as a schoolboy.....

Re: MARTIN SCORSESE SAYS MARVEL MOVIES ARE 'NOT CINEMA'

Has Scorsese endured watching this thing?

86105ee16264e67b2b7c76c8e970eb86--logan-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Oh they are movies.... mind you I haven't seen too many superhero films though.... Superman from 1978 is still by far the best of the ones I've seen (Wonder Woman, two Batman films, Black panther). As for the Marvel films, I only saw Black Panther, and I just couldn't fully get into it. It had its striking moments, but it was a bit flat for me, and I kept waiting for something big for Angela Bassett to do. 

Black Panther was downright disappointing, compared to the character's introduction in Captain America: Civil War.  

Still considered the all-time state of the art for "real" (ie. Disney) Marvel movies, and that, IMO, includes the long shaggy mess of "Endgame".

On 10/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, Princess of Tap said:

However, if Andy Warhol was still around, he might well disagree with Scorsese. LOL

So many misunderstand Warhol's message/statement about art. He wanted to point out that 99% of "artists" anonymously work in packaging/advertising/crafting industries. He wanted to bring attention to the fact that items we see every day like a soup can label or a cookie jar are brilliant designs created by "every day" artists.

Samuel L. Jackson has responded to Martin Scorsese’s comments that Marvel films aren’t real cinema.

“I mean that’s like saying Bugs Bunny ain’t funny.

Man, it's a good thing Sam Jackson has dialogue written for him-what terrible grammar!

But I think he means that there are all kinds of "movies" presented for entertainment where the action matters more than other elements. I disagree with his comparison-even the Warner Brothers cartoons have story arcs and often brilliant dialogue within the action gags.

I find SuperHero movies the equivalent of this:

s-l300.jpg

Brainless entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I find SuperHero movies the equivalent of this:

Brainless entertainment.

Superheroes are our new cultural mythology, now that we don't believe thunderstorms are created by Zeus--

At one point, back in the 80's, when Golan/Globus's producer eyes were bigger than their budget/experience stomachs (qv. Superman IV: the Quest for Peace), they'd cranked out a wrong, but relatively well-meaning low-low-low-budget theatrically-unreleased version of Captain America (1990).  Okay, they got the "experiment" and "frozen in the Arctic" right, even if the Red Skull now had to be an Italian supporter of Mussolini, because the Israeli filmmakers didn't want the implications of "Hail Hydra".

Emboldened by this, they briefly and unsuccessfully tried to take over James Cameron's notions about doing a Spiderman movie for the first time, back when nobody had yet--Although they didn't quite know the story as well:  Here, Peter Parker was going to be the prisoner of an evil genetic lab, gradually turning into a real spider creature, and in the climax, battling some of the other evil genetic experiments.

Now, consider that most of the audience, like us, would be saying "What?  No!  Just...freakin'...NO!!  He's a kid--He was in high school, was bitten on a field trip, shoots sticky stuff out of a gadget on his wrist, couldn't save his Uncle Ben, and takes news photos for the Daily Bugle!"  This is something that presumably EVERYONE knows, even though it was only written for a $0.25 serialized magazine, to be sold to little kids on comic store shelves right next to Superman, Batman and Uncle Scrooge.  It was an experience that also happened way too often back in the "Curse" days of the 80's/90's, when timid producers wanted to cash in on the next Christopher Reeve, without delving too deeply into complex or ridiculous cult-mythology, and tried to make it look like any other cliche'd movie or TV show.

Until the company that actually WROTE the danged things decided to do it themselves, and knew which parts of the mythology not to get wrong.  And, as it turned out, ended up doing a lot better at it than the companies that didn't write the danged things themselves, and were still trying to churn out Hollywood movies.  And those seem to be the ones everyone is complaining about--Y'know, like a version of Batman where the Joker didn't fall into a vat of chemicals, and just monologued around his ratty NYC loner apartment like Travis Bickle.

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

Superheroes are our new cultural mythology

Yours maybe, but not mine. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

By "our" he probably means the idiots of the world

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

By "our" he probably means the idiots of the world

That's me.

11 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Put it this way:

• Who was the one creation god in the Persian religion of Zoroastrianism?

Now try this one:

• Who was the most famous survivor of the planet Krypton?

Don't feel badly if you find one question easier to answer than the other.  😛

https://www.nme.com/news/film/jennifer-aniston-thinks-marvel-diminishing-thanks-marvel-movies-2555540

Jennifer Aniston thinks Marvel is “diminishing” the movie industry

It follows recent criticism from Martin Scorcese and Edward Norton

Jennifer Aniston has said that she thinks the movie industry is “diminishing” thanks to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It follows recent comments from Martin Scorcese, which likened the MCU to a “theme park”.

Speaking to Variety, the Friends star discussed the changing landscape of the film industry, and how the expansion of Marvel is altering that.

“You’re seeing what’s available out there and it’s just diminishing and diminishing in terms of, it’s big Marvel movies,” Aniston said.

“Or things that I’m not just asked to do or really that interested in living in a green screen,” she added.

She then stated that she would “love to have the era of Meg Ryan come back,” adding: “I just think it would be nice to go into a movie theatre, sit cosy. I think we should have a resurgence. Let’s get the Terms of Endearment back out there. You know, Heaven Can Wait, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Goodbye Girl.”

-

When was the last time Aniston was in anything anyway? :blink: 

4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I hate that I know this, but she was in an ADAM SANDLER made-forNETFLIX movie called (I think?) MURDER MYSTERY that, I think, was quite popular....(debateably?) because we all died and this is Hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

40 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/jennifer-aniston-thinks-marvel-diminishing-thanks-marvel-movies-2555540

It follows recent criticism from Martin Scorcese and Edward Norton

Jennifer Aniston has said that she thinks the movie industry is “diminishing” thanks to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It follows recent comments from Martin Scorcese, which likened the MCU to a “theme park”.

Speaking to Variety, the Friends star discussed the changing landscape of the film industry, and how the expansion of Marvel is altering that.

“You’re seeing what’s available out there and it’s just diminishing and diminishing in terms of, it’s big Marvel movies,” Aniston said.

“Or things that I’m not just asked to do or really that interested in living in a green screen,” she added.

She then stated that she would “love to have the era of Meg Ryan come back,” adding: “I just think it would be nice to go into a movie theatre, sit cosy. I think we should have a resurgence. Let’s get the Terms of Endearment back out there. You know, Heaven Can Wait, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Goodbye Girl.”

-

When was the last time Aniston was in anything anyway? :blink: 

When was the last time I sat through an entire movie at the multiplex.  With the state of movies in theaters these days, and all the untold variables, multiplex screen hopping is really the way to go (if I must).

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I hate that I know this, but she was in an ADAM SANDLER made-forNETFLIX movie called (I think?) MURDER MYSTERY that, I think, was quite popular....(debateably?) because we all died and this is Hell.

She's also in/going to be in this new Apple streaming service series called, I think, The Morning Show with Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carrell (when I first heard about this, I thought it was going to be three of them actually DOING a morning show! But no, not so much).

On 10/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, Gershwin fan said:

Don't blame Marvel (or Disney) They are just doing whatever makes them the most money.

What saddens me is just the "dumbing down" of our culture. Apparently those who grew up in the instant gratification world of hand held mind meld cannot grasp anything more complicated. 

As a teacher, I see it every day. Kids can't keep more than 3 charactors straight when reading a story-unless each character looks different from bold costuming. Heaven help them reading a book without pictures.

This global trend is diminishing the value of the read or spoken word as well as movies. Language used well, communication* is too important to let go. It's at the very core of what makes us human.

*community, not isolation

all of the marvel comics of the 1970s oughta be reprinted so these millennial/Generation X losers can see how it should be done and how laughingly poor what they think good is.

Image result for vintage iron man comics

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

all of the marvel comics of the 1970s oughta be reprinted so these millennial/Generation X losers can see how it should be done and how laughingly poor what they think good is.

They pretty much all have been.

And you might be surprised to go back and see how overwrought all that '70s dialogue is. 

Scorsese has made further comments on the topic:

“It’s not cinema, it’s something else. We shouldn’t be invaded by it. We need cinemas to step up and show films that are narrative films. Theaters have become amusement parks. That is all fine and good but don’t invade everything else in that sense. That is fine and good for those who enjoy that type of film and, by the way, knowing what goes into them now, I admire what they do. It’s not my kind of thing, it simply is not. It’s creating another kind of audience that thinks cinema is that.”

He also addressed the streaming vs purely theatrical issue, as Netflix produced his latest film The Irishman:

“There’s no doubt that seeing a film with an audience is really important. There is a problem though: we have to make the film. We’ve run out of room, in a sense; there was no room for us to make this picture, for many reasons. [But] having the backing of a company that says that you will have no interference, you can make the picture as you want – the trade-off being: it streams, with theatrical distribution prior to that. I figure, that’s a chance we take, on this particular project.”

Netflix has been the target of more traditional sectors of the film industry, especially exhibitors, who are committed to defending the status quo and so major chains like AMC and Regal are refusing to screen the film.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/scorsese-defends-netflixs-irishman-backing/

I liked Bill Maher's line on his HBO talk show Friday night. "Actually, Scorsese's right," the comedian said. "Superhero movies ARE all the same, whereas his new film "The Irishman" is a mob movie starring Joe Pesci and [Robert] De Niro."

large_irishman-poster.jpg

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I liked Bill Maher's line on his HBO talk show Friday night. "Actually, Scorsese's right," the comedian said. "Superhero movies ARE all the same, whereas his new film "The Irishman" is a mob movie starring Joe Pesci and [Robert] De Niro."

large_irishman-poster.jpg

I found that funny, too.

It's nice to see your posts again!

Maher himself did also echo similar sentiments regarding Marvel movies a few months ago.

Scorsese does tip into the mob theme a bit too much but Silence is pretty good.

• Like 2

Re: Bill Maher above: I was shocked when working retail at how many grown adult customers dress like children. Men had shaved heads, long t-shirts with some cartoon logo (often with holes or worn out) droopy shorts that ended near the knee, & flip flops or Chuck Taylors.

Unfortunately could not find suitable pics, but girls get stuck too-look for the severely pulled back hair & skintight clothing showing every roll & crease along with that tweety tattoo. 

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Re: Bill Maher above: I was shocked when working retail at how many grown adult customers dress like children. Men had shaved heads, long t-shirts with some cartoon logo (often with holes or worn out) droopy shorts that ended near the knee, & flip flops or Chuck Taylors.

Unfortunately could not find suitable pics, but girls get stuck too-look for the severely pulled back hair & skintight clothing showing every roll & crease along with that tweety tattoo. 

nailed it.