spence

Which movies would you most love to see in a theatre?

44 posts in this topic

I saw *Lawrence of Arabia a few weeks ago on the silver-screen & plan to also see *GFI on November 1st as pt of TCM's Fathom Series, but what films would you most want to go & see on THE SILVER-SCREEN?

As they say it s quite a different experience then seeing something on tv  I've been lucky enough over 38yrs to be able to go and see about 15 classic old movies-(to me old is 20 to 25yrs) like a car

Even the mt. summit & at thee ultimate theatre The Tampa Theatre-(Est 1926-) even has an old, old guy playing he mighty Wurlitzer on stage, he died & his daughter immediately picked up the mantle

The move of course was KANE in 1995 & have been back there 4 more times, it's even fancier then Grauman's in Hollywood  as far as Movie Palaces go

So what films do you fans most want to see someday in such a theatre, or even a normal one?

THANK YOU

I'm waiting for the opportunity to see The Godfather I and II on a suitably big screen. I held off on seeing 2001 until it came to the main screen at AFI Silver, and I'm glad I waited.

• Like 2

Behind the Green Door:D

/sarcasm

• Haha 2

Thanks to Polly & as I've written here & else where in the past for some reason I just cannot get a break & see *GFI in the theatre???  I mean I;ve spoken to theater mgr's &they saw it & at the same darn theatre. Though I rate KANE as they say, The Greatest Motion Picture of All-Time  *Godfather is my own favorite though   2001 musta been something in a big screen theatre huh & ironically plan to go & see *Godfather, Part II on November 1st as pt of TCM/Fathom Series.

Classics I got to see on The Silver-Screen to date  (*-always denotes an Oscar winner) and in no special order>Kane (l995 at the Tampa Theatre, you couldn't pick a better place to see it either), *GWTW-(3 times over the years), *Casablanca-(though a small screen), Rebel without a Cause around 1996 or so, Treasure of the Sierra Madre in 1986 though the theatre had the you know what to edit scenes out!? & The Public Enemy same place in '86, It's a Wonderful Life (Tampa Theater fir Christmas 1996. Check out it's websiteshows how stuck in time it is), Apocalype Now-Redux 2001 same movie palace, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner also there, (THE WORDS AE GETTING DEKETED/EATING AGAIN FOLKS AT EDITING?)

*Lawrence of Arabia just a month ago as opt of TCM's series,  *West Side Story, Wizard of 0z, The Exorcist-Revisited in 2001, Fantasia: 2000, Rear Window around1985, Vertigo same year & hopefully if all pans out *GFII. What I missed in TCM/Fathom's series is True Grit far from JW's best, but never got to see him on the big-screen  If I had may way it would be almost a tie between The searchers & the Quiet Man though

& BIG-SCREEN WISH LIST FOR MYSEKF>

*GFI, Captains Courageous, Bad Day at Blck Rock,Some Came Runing, Inside Daisy clover or her Solendor in the Grass-(her best &her fav NATALIE, but Daisy is just the one I watch the most)

AGFAIN, EXCUSE MESSY WRITING & MISSING LETTERS, IT'S THE SITE, AGAIN  Just wroteon 2 iothers with no trouble

WHAT ARE YOURS???

Personally I would also add-on  City Lights and Modern times-(never saw *Chaplin on the big screen, only the '92 bio), The Searchers & The Quiet Man, Dumbo (l94l version of course), Inherit the Wind, Singin' in the Rain & as she cited 2001

• Like 1

Renoir's three greatest films, Barry Lyndon, Absolute Beginners, Angel Heart, The Leopard

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fedya said:

Behind the Green Door:D

/sarcasm

Heh!  I'd add to that DEEP THROAT.  ;) But only if they both get the 3-D treatment!  :P

And thanks to their relentless chasing a buck and trying to get subsequent generations "hooked", I've already seen most of the Disney "classics" on the big screen as per their re-releases.  And off the top of my head, I'd like seeing THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and REAR WINDOW on silver.  AND the entire LAUREL and HARDY filmography.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I second the motion for seeing Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights" on a movie theater screen with an audience.   I saw "Modern Times" on a theater screen outdoors and enjoyed it.  I also would like to see Laurel and Hardy's "The Music Box," "South Pacific" and "This is Cinerama" on a movie theater screen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skimpole said:

Renoir's three greatest films, Barry Lyndon, Absolute Beginners, Angel Heart, The Leopard

thanx for the input

It's hard to figure considering it's Kubrick, but I have never seen all of Barry Lyndon, yet anyway?

& it took home 4 Oscars that year of *Cuckoo's Nest

Forgot INTOLERANCE (l96)  Anybody else ever think of seeing Hollywoods 2nd big epic on The Silver-Screen?  They designed The Dolby Theatre-(formerly The Kodak Theatre, when I was there) at 680l H,. Blvd & of course home of annual Oscars, also really called Hollywood and Highland. It's huge design, not like D.W's though not that huge, after the 1916 silent epic

The drama silent pix don't hold up nearly as much as the comedies

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Heh!  I'd add to that DEEP THROAT.  ;) But only if they both get the 3-D treatment!  :P

And thanks to their relentless chasing a buck and trying to get subsequent generations "hooked", I've already seen most of the Disney "classics" on the big screen as per their re-releases.  And off the top of my head, I'd like seeing THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and REAR WINDOW on silver.  AND the entire LAUREL and HARDY filmography.

Sepiatone

some marvelous pix, especially L & H & *Disney classics, technically today they are greater, but the heart isn't there like it was under *Walt

• Like 1

1. a pristine digitally mastered print of THIS ISLAND EARTH

or

2. Akira Kurasawa's Throne of Blood...colorized

:)

"trees can't move you fools!"

Image result for throne of blood colorized

• Confused 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:33 AM, thomasterryjr said:

I second the motion for seeing Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights" on a movie theater screen with an audience.   I saw "Modern Times" on a theater screen outdoors and enjoyed it.  I also would like to see Laurel and Hardy's "The Music Box," "South Pacific" and "This is Cinerama" on a movie theater screen.

Always wanted to see The Little Tramp in an entire movie in a theater & you picked his two greatest!

• Thanks 1

Don't remember who it was, I think a female & she posed a superb topic months ago about THE MUSIC BOX being the most perfect movie ever made!

Are you out there whom ever write that?

• Confused 1

I was glad to see BARRY LYNDON decades ago projected 35mm in a theater. I don't think it would have captured me nearly as well seeing it on TV first. Kubrick's films always benefit by a big screen.

So, my list are films everyone else likes-I've heard enough about them.  Some movies just don't engage as well when watching on TV, home alone. Some films I need to be immersed in.

Pather Panchali (1958) love Indian films, but barely got through the Music Room. I couldn't get into it.

Eraserhead (1977) Started several times, fell asleep

7 Brides For 7 Bros (1954) I love this film but would love to see it on the big screen

I've only seen Modern Times, but think ALL Chaplin films are much better with an audience. I mostly never watch silents at home but am lured out by any oft seen title like METROPOLIS or DR CALIGARI just for the experience.

The Cinephile group I belong to showed a Harold Lloyd silent and few showed up. The powers that be think the fact it was a silent kept people away (like foreign films) I think no one knew who Harold Lloyd is. If they scheduled a CHAPLIN silent, like the KID, I think we'd sell out because of Chaplin's name and curiosity to see a film of his-many have never seen one!

You gotta break the ice with a strong contender that most will like.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I must disagree a bit.  Of all the Kubrick movies I saw, NO screen of ANY size will improve his wretched THE SHINING.  

Sepiatone

On 10/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, Sepiatone said:

NO screen of ANY size will improve his wretched THE SHINING.  

People react to movies differently. Nothing seems as polarizing as horror or comedy. I saw THE SHINING at the theater first, and was completely enraptured in it. I still love viewing it but glad my initial fright has worn off & I can sleep with the light off after.

• Like 1

I would love to see some comedies like Arsenic and Old Lace or The Thin Man. I've seen both several times, but sometimes seeing them on the big screen just hits differently. 

• Like 1

Now that I've seen Beyond the Forest in a theater, I am holding out for The Long Long Trailer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

People react to movies differently. Nothing seems as polarizing as horror or comedy. I saw THE SHINING at the theater first, and was completely enraptured in it. I still love viewing it but glad my initial fright has worn off & I can sleep with the light off after.

Kubrick epics are like that

also saw The Shining in a theatre at about age 16

On 10/19/2019 at 8:34 AM, TikiSoo said:

I was glad to see BARRY LYNDON decades ago projected 35mm in a theater. I don't think it would have captured me nearly as well seeing it on TV first. Kubrick's films always benefit by a big screen.

So, my list are films everyone else likes-I've heard enough about them.  Some movies just don't engage as well when watching on TV, home alone. Some films I need to be immersed in.

Pather Panchali (1958) love Indian films, but barely got through the Music Room. I couldn't get into it.

Eraserhead (1977) Started several times, fell asleep

7 Brides For 7 Bros (1954) I love this film but would love to see it on the big screen

I've only seen Modern Times, but think ALL Chaplin films are much better with an audience. I mostly never watch silents at home but am lured out by any oft seen title like METROPOLIS or DR CALIGARI just for the experience.

The Cinephile group I belong to showed a Harold Lloyd silent and few showed up. The powers that be think the fact it was a silent kept people away (like foreign films) I think no one knew who Harold Lloyd is. If they scheduled a CHAPLIN silent, like the KID, I think we'd sell out because of Chaplin's name and curiosity to see a film of his-many have never seen one!

You gotta break the ice with a strong contender that most will like.

Eraserhead is without a doubt all-time weirdest motion picture by anyone