Sign in to follow this  
Vautrin

Ginger Baker 1939 to 2019

18 posts in this topic

Ginger Baker, best known as the drummer for Cream and a bit later Blind Faith, has

died at the age of 80. Appears he had a number of health problems over the years.

Baker and Jack Bruce, the late Cream bassist and song writer, couldn't stand one

another and Eric Clapton tried to be the peacemaker between them with likely only

limited success. Clapton is the last surviving member of Cream. It's good to be God.

• Thanks 1

I just heard about this.

A couple of years ago he was at a music teaching seminar in Vegas with Brian Wilson.

Had no idea he was that ill.

I remember seeing their reunion on the PBS Maybe 20 years ago. It was quite good.

It seems like Jack Bruce died about 5 years ago.

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

I just heard about this.

A couple of years ago he was at a music teaching seminar in Vegas with Brian Wilson.

Had no idea he was that ill.

I remember seeing their reunion on the PBS Maybe 20 years ago. It was quite good.

It seems like Jack Bruce died about 5 years ago.

I came across it this afternoon on a local website. I don't think the exact cause of death has

been released yet, but he had COPD and heart problems and he was 80 years old. So. I just

read an article in the paper about Brian Wilson's concert tour. He had a number of special

guests, including the Zombies and Billy Idol. Our PBS station had a Rolling Stones' concert

where they played the whole of Sticky Fingers in between pledge breaks. 

Hell.  I expected this years ago due to his heavy drinking.  So, the foundation of what many thought was rock'n'roll drummer's "Big Three"( Baker, Moon and Mitchell) has rejoined his compatriots. He probably inspired and influenced more drummers than we realize.  All I can say is..... until Baker, nobody saw many rock OR jazz drummers employ two bass drums.  AFTER Baker hit bigger fame and exposure, almost ALL rock drummers "doubled up".  And his solo on the "live" version of "Toad"( Wheels Of Fire)  contains many elements heard in many other's drum solos played AFTER that recording.   And too, he ventured out from just supplying the beat, if you recall-----

With pianist MIKE TAYLOR Baker co-wrote the songs PASSING THE TIME, THOSE WERE THE DAYS, and this one...for the WHEELS OF FIRE LP:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I didn't know that much about Baker's private life, only that he could be difficult to get

along with. I don't know much about drumming, but Bonham sometimes comes up in the

best rock drummers conversation. With all his health problems I suppose making it to

80 is pretty good.

48 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I didn't know that much about Baker's private life, only that he could be difficult to get

along with. I don't know much about drumming, but Bonham sometimes comes up in the

best rock drummers conversation. With all his health problems I suppose making it to

80 is pretty good.

I remember the day Bonham died. I was living in Chicago then and the Hard Rock station up there totally freaked-- like it was the end of the world or something.

When I was in college, Cream was the top group. We had a red-headed guy who would hang out on campus with a stick in the middle of thousands of students going to classes in the middle of winter. He had this fantasy that he was Ginger Baker. Along with Iron Butterfly they were really hot then in the early 70s.

I probably read about it in the local paper, but the day itself never stuck in my mind.

Cream was pretty big, though short lived as they were not together that long. I

think Iron Butterfly had that one big album and then could never match it. I also

remember Vanilla Fudge as being fairly popular during the same time period, though

they too didn't last. On the whole, I would rather have a drum solo called Moby Dick

than one titled Toad. :)

Just found out about it,he was my favorite drummer,Cream was the only artist  I was born too early to have seen in concert,i saw everybody else many times but not Cream.When a friend of mine  called me up & told me they were playing MSG in October 2005 in NYC,I decided to go right away,first concerts in 5 years for me,after like 2000 shows I 'retired' in early 2000 but for Cream i decided to go all the way to NYC. I saw the last 2 shows,liked them very much,Jack Bruce had health problems but they played very well.Clapton wrote in his bio he did the gigs for the 2 others as they were not as lucky as he was financially.The 3 shows grossed about $11 millions  a lot of $ at the time,they must have net  5$ millions.Ginger Baker was a jazz drummer,one of first to use a double bass drum in concert-I think Keith Moon used it also-the era of the drum solos started,few were good at it.He made it till 80..which is amazing he was a heavy boozer and had a severe heroin addiction.On the cover of the Blind Faith only album, the nubile little girl on the cover was his daughter,the cover was changed for American release, many years later it was restored in Canada .A very good musician.The last 2 Cream concerts are still the last shows I went to-14 years! now i'am really retired from rock shows...

On 10/7/2019 at 12:35 PM, Sepiatone said:

Hell.  I expected this years ago due to his heavy drinking.  So, the foundation of what many thought was rock'n'roll drummer's "Big Three"( Baker, Moon and Mitchell) has rejoined his compatriots. He probably inspired and influenced more drummers than we realize.  All I can say is..... until Baker, nobody saw many rock OR jazz drummers employ two bass drums.  AFTER Baker hit bigger fame and exposure, almost ALL rock drummers "doubled up".  And his solo on the "live" version of "Toad"( Wheels Of Fire)  contains many elements heard in many other's drum solos played AFTER that recording.   And too, he ventured out from just supplying the beat, if you recall-----

With pianist MIKE TAYLOR Baker co-wrote the songs PASSING THE TIME, THOSE WERE THE DAYS, and this one...for the WHEELS OF FIRE LP:

Sepiatone

I totally agree with you,i did not see your post before I posted mine, he influenced every rock drummer and he influenced the ones who are now an influence...

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 5:47 PM, Vautrin said:

On the whole, I would rather have a drum solo called Moby Dick

than one titled Toad. :)

So switch the names, as Toad WAS the better(and much) solo.  ;) 

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

So switch the names, as Toad WAS the better(and much) solo.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I haven't listened to either one in ages and I never really liked long drum solos all that

much anyway.

I've never read or heard that the young missus on the album cover was Baker's daughter,

though her hair looks reddish. According to Wiki it was someone the photographer met

in London. I like the basic band photo cover just fine.

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I've never read or heard that the young missus on the album cover was Baker's daughter,

though her hair looks reddish. According to Wiki it was someone the photographer met

in London. I like the basic band photo cover just fine.

I checked Wiki like you did,the truth finally came out around 2013,for more than 40 years Baker never denied the thing(unless he mentioned it in his bio book in 2009) It was what we could call now an urban legend but it endured and can be found on many websites even, now his daughter Nettie looked a lot like the 11 year old on the cover which helped the story I presume.

baker.jpg

3 hours ago, nakano said:

I checked Wiki like you did,the truth finally came out around 2013,for more than 40 years Baker never denied the thing(unless he mentioned it in his bio book in 2009) It was what we could call now an urban legend but it endured and can be found on many websites even, now his daughter Nettie looked a lot like the 11 year old on the cover which helped the story I presume.

baker.jpg

Nice photo. The girl does have reddish hair, so I can see the plausibility. It does make a nice

story. Another problem would be that she was only about eight and a half when the album came

out, so she was a bit too young and would a father let his daughter pose topless at that age.

Maybe some would, but I don't think most dads would. It's all ancient history now anyway. I

still think the Blind Faith album is most excellent no matter what the cover.

Although not really that well "endowed", that girl on that cover did appear to be older than 8. (Eight and a "half"?  C'mon now...)   Anyway, while most go on about Baker's time with CREAM and BLIND FAITH, they seem to ignore his involvement with these bands, one pre, and the other post both Cream and Blind Faith....

Sepiatone

I don't think the GBO sold many records in the US or were very well known here. I do like the

Organisation name. Hey man, we're more than a band, we're a ******* organization. I do

remember the group that Baker headed after Blind Faith, Air Force. I don't think they were

very successful either. As a teenager my record budget was modest so I didn't bother with

records I didn't know much about. 

38 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't think the GBO sold many records in the US or were very well known here. I do like the

Organisation name. Hey man, we're more than a band, we're a ******* organization. I do

remember the group that Baker headed after Blind Faith, Air Force. I don't think they were

very successful either. As a teenager my record budget was modest so I didn't bother with

records I didn't know much about. 

I ran into Stevie Winwood once at Midway in Chicago.

I talked to him about Spencer Davis Group but I wasn't even aware that he was in Blind Faith. Did they have a couple of hit records?

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

I ran into Stevie Winwood once at Midway in Chicago.

I talked to him about Spencer Davis Group but I wasn't even aware that he was in Blind Faith. Did they have a couple of hit records?

They only released one album, in 1969. I think it was fairly successful. They might have released

a single from the album, though I'm not 100% sure. I would guess that Blind Faith had a similar

problem to Cream, too many egos and differences to last very long. 

• Thanks 1