Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

"Movie" v "Film".

59 posts in this topic

Inspired by the Martin Scorsese superhero movies aren't Cinema thread....

Ever notice, some people here refer to MOVIES and others use the word FILM?  And( something I'm guilty of too) often use one or the other while not intending any difference between the two words.  But, some people call a certain work a "FILM" as to mean it's something( in their opinion) of a higher level than just a mere "movie", which they look down their noses to as mindless "brain candy" and not to be taken seriously as any kind of "art form".  

To me, a "movie" is the same as a "film".  I just change the word I use as a change of pace rather than a display of presumptuous pomposity.  ;)  

How 'bout you? (and please, no jokes about Gershwin tunes!  ;) )

Sepiatone

I don't interchange the two words as frequently now. Movies are not exactly on film anymore. Some people say caught on tape, referring to a smartphone video. Movie seems more 21st Century.

I don't know what you are saying about Gershwin.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I don't know what you are saying about Gershwin.

It was a facetious riff on the lyric of the song "How About You?" from the '41 musical movie BABES ON BROADWAY ie:" I love a Gershwin tune, how about you?....."  And as the last line in my post was the query, "How 'bout you?" I was inspired to the pun.  ;)  ( :rolleyes:  KIDS these days!  :D )

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

I use the two interchangeably, but yeah, I know what you mean about some people using "film" as a sort of elitist term while "movie" has low-brow connotations. I use them both, often within the same paragraph, so as not to repeat the same word too often. I also use "flick", which is even more low-brow, or "picture", which has an old-school feel. I've also seen many people use the term "show" to refer to films and TV. 

I've used movie, film and flick before. I like saying film because I like the way it sounds. 

But when I want to see a movie in theaters it's always Let's go to the movies, or something or that nature. 

• Like 1

I use the terms interchangeably as to not repeat the same word over and over again.  It's my technical writing job coming through. Sometimes depending on the context of my sentence, "film" just sounds better. 

I do not use "cinema" to refer to a film or movie, unless I'm referring to films or movies as a whole.  Cinema, to me sounds a little hoity toity. 

I think I should bring back the term "moving pictures." 

• Like 1

There's definitely is a wide spectrum of quality in the art-form.

High to Low:

Cinema > Film > Movie > Reel > Loop 

Don't get me wrong though there are masterpieces in each one of the above 

27 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I always say "let us attend the flickers", but I'm also alone, so...

"I'm off to the Nickelodeon."

• Like 1

Is there a difference between American usage and British usage?

Or industry insiders using film versus the average film, I mean movie goer?

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

"I'm off to the Nickelodeon."

Nickelodeon also means jukebox. Music, Music, Music was originally released in 1950.

• Like 1

I fall into the “movie” and “film” are interchangeable category. For what it is worth, “cinema” to me is the place to see a movie.

• Thanks 1

I don’t use the two words interchangeably. I don’t like to think I am being pretentious when I say film vs. movie. I will say film when I think something is a more serious or well-regarded work. Calling “Citizen Kane” a movie seems to trivialize it.

If I say “my father was a great man”, is that the same as “my dad was a great guy”? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Inspired by the Martin Scorsese superhero movies aren't Cinema thread....

Ever notice, some people here refer to MOVIES and others use the word FILM?  And( something I'm guilty of too) often use one or the other while not intending any difference between the two words.  But, some people call a certain work a "FILM" as to mean it's something( in their opinion) of a higher level than just a mere "movie", which they look down their noses to as mindless "brain candy" and not to be taken seriously as any kind of "art form".  

To me, a "movie" is the same as a "film".  I just change the word I use as a change of pace rather than a display of presumptuous pomposity.  ;)  

How 'bout you? (and please, no jokes about Gershwin tunes!  ;) )

Sepiatone

I use the two interchangeably.  However I don't see that as irrational on my part, as I try to use synonyms rather than repeat a word in a sentence or paragraph, where indicated.

Literary playtoys and witticisms aside (yawn), a movie is content, whereas film could be both content and a distribution medium.  One can watch a movie on film (or a film on film), but one cannot watch a film on movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All the young people in my "film club" refer to everything as a "film." Honestly, a lot of them are pretentious film students, so they automatically think that by referring to things as "films" instead of "movies," they automatically graduate with high marks and accolades. I hope I don't sound bitter; some of them have been getting on my nerves lately, with saying things like "2001 A Space Odyssey" or "Vertigo" are the "best films of all time..." 

I personally usually say "I'm going to go see a movie in theaters" or "Wanna watch a movie?"

2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

All the young people in my "film club" refer to everything as a "film." Honestly, a lot of them are pretentious film students, so they automatically think that by referring to things as "films" instead of "movies," they automatically graduate with high marks and accolades. I hope I don't sound bitter; some of them have been getting on my nerves lately, with saying things like "2001 A Space Odyssey" or "Vertigo" are the "best films of all time..." 

I personally usually say "I'm going to go see a movie in theaters" or "Wanna watch a movie?"

Ugh. Pseudo-intellectuals are the worst! 

I always think: “That must be Nigel with the Brie!” *

* hopefully you’ve seen this movie, otherwise I just look weird. Lol. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I always think: “That must be Nigel with the Brie!” *

* hopefully you’ve seen this movie, otherwise I just look weird. Lol. 

i caught your drift, speedy, don't worry :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

i caught your drift, speedy, don't worry :)

Are the pseudo-intellectuals part of your movie scavenger hunt? 

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Agreed. That said, remember "movie" is a shortened nick name for "moving pictures" a thoroughly charming old fashioned term. Since there is scant film actually used these days, "film" has become an erroneous term, hasn't it?

The way people's faces are planted in their phones, we may as well start calling it the "hand held mind meld" since it's no longer a telephone.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Are the pseudo-intellectuals part of your movie scavenger hunt? 

some of them might be, actually. i haven't checked who's taking part yet (we have over 220 members now so it's sometimes hard to keep track haha). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spauldingd said:

If I say “my father was a great man”, is that the same as “my dad was a great guy”? 

Well, not really.  Somebody could be a "great man" but at the same time be a jerk of a guy.  ;)  

And to go along with the "drift" here....

I never turn most activities into a verb, like how TCM foolishly uses the term, "Let's movie".  While I might dine,  I don't "dinner".  But this goes only for those activities that don't require much in the way of being active.  Like sitting on your a** and watching a movie.  Or I won't put on a CD or(in some cases) put on a vinyl LP and turn to whomever is in the room and say, "Let's music."  ;) 

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Agreed. That said, remember "movie" is a shortened nick name for "moving pictures" a thoroughly charming old fashioned term. Since there is scant film actually used these days, "film" has become an erroneous term, hasn't it?

The way people's faces are planted in their phones, we may as well start calling it the "hand held mind meld" since it's no longer a telephone.

I agree saying "film" is a bit of a misnomer, but I will use it as a synonym.  The Hollywood Theater in Portland actually does show classics on 35mm, so I suppose if I were seeing one of those movies, I could say "film." I also enjoy the term "moving pictures." 

I use my phone everyday and actually wish I could remove the phone component, lol. That's only because I absolutely despise speaking on the phone. I decline every single call I receive unless the name of someone I know pops up on the screen. I don't have voice mail set up, because I don't want to listen to the message or return the call.  I try not to bury my face in my phone though--especially if I'm out to dinner with my husband or something. I use my phone during the day at work to listen to podcasts and music.  It's also nice being able to look up things on the fly and utilize things like Google Maps when driving around. I don't typically use my phone for watching movies or anything, but will occasionally watch shows on Hulu on my phone while I'm working. 

A phone-related term that is used that is also a misnomer is "hang-up" or "dial."