Sign in to follow this  
DJBeacon

Your Favorite Potent Potable with a Movie

8 posts in this topic

TCM has a wine pairing with movies and wanted to see how fans feel about matching up some more potent beverages with their movies.

I'll start off with a few whiskies that are under $60:

1) sippin' on a spicy rye like High West's Double Rye with a good thriller, maybe even as a Manhattan

2) sippin' on a good, rounded bourbon like Buffalo Trace with a Western, maybe even on the rocks

3) sippin' on a non-peated scotch like Glendronach 12 year with a mystery

Get more specific if you like on pairing up with a certain movie and even chime in on a Martini or Gin & Tonic.

CHEERS and hope there is some interest!!

• Like 1

I don't even like martinis (well at least gin ones, maybe a vodka one would be better?), but I think they would pair well with any of The Thin Man films.

I would also pair Gin, maybe a nice Gin like Tanqueray 10, with Casablanca

I would drink a SoCo and Coke with Gone With the Wind

I like this thread, I am still considering other potent potables. 

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't even like martinis (well at least gin ones, maybe a vodka one would be better?), but I think they would pair well with any of The Thin Man films.

speedracer5,  Those sound like some great choices and pairings.  I'm a very dry vodka martini guy, depending on the mood, sometimes a twist and sometimes a few blue cheese stuffed olives.  And they both would work well with the Thin Man flicks, probably more with the twist.  And maybe a Gimlet with Nick and Nora.

Just bought a fantastic tequila, Clase Azul Reposado, and that would be so nice to slip along with "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".  CHEERS!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I would drink a SoCo and Coke with Gone With the Wind.

You just gave me a flashback--my first college roommate was from the south, she was all sweetness and proper...and she kept a bottle of Southern Comfort in her boot in the closet 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DJBeacon said:

speedracer5,  Those sound like some great choices and pairings.  I'm a very dry vodka martini guy, depending on the mood, sometimes a twist and sometimes a few blue cheese stuffed olives.  And they both would work well with the Thin Man flicks, probably more with the twist.  And maybe a Gimlet with Nick and Nora.

Just bought a fantastic tequila, Clase Azul Reposado, and that would be so nice to slip along with "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".  CHEERS!!

Along those lines, a Gibson or a very dry martini would be great with “All About Eve.”  I may like very dry as well, as I think it’s the Vermouth that I don’t like. And I hate dirty martinis. Blech. 

I think a French 75 would be great with either “An American in Paris” or “Funny Face.”

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Just noticed TCM is running a couple of the Thin Man movies this afternoon.  I'll record so I can watch with a few drinks at a later time.

Cheers!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJBeacon said:

Just noticed TCM is running a couple of the Thin Man movies this afternoon.  I'll record so I can watch with a few drinks at a later time.

Cheers!!

Have fun. Which Thin Man films are your favorite?

Of course, the first one is excellent. I think my second favorite is the last one, Song of a Thin Man

My least favorite is the third one.  It has that horrible baby party that I find incredibly irritating. 

Hard to pick a favorite but really like seeing Jimmy Stewart as the bad guy in "After the Thin Man" and Nick heading home and busting up a spy ring in "The Thin Man Goes Home" with the surprise appearance of a Japanese sniper rifle.  Gotta chuckle at all that hip jive talk with Keenan Wynn in "Song of the Thin Man".

Definitely worth a few drinks.

• Like 1