Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY

21 posts in this topic

He stumbled on the Western Hemisphere, which would lead to one of the greatest demographic calamities in human history, with the decimation of native groups.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Since he FIRST landed in Cuba, leave it to them to celebrate.

v1map.jpg

Christopher%20Columbus%20Statue,%20Cuba_

He actually first landed on what he names San Salvador Island, in the Bahamas. 

6 minutes ago, Arturo said:

He actually first landed on what he names San Salvador Island, in the Bahamas. 

Was referring to his further landings in Central and South America.

990748_orig.jpg

Which leads me to say..why in the heck are WE celebrating?  He never set foot here! :lol:

Columbus is a guy who didn't know where he was going. And when he got there he didn't know where he was.

I could celebrate his ignorance and brutality if I had ever gotten this day off.

So since there's nothing to celebrate anyway, I guess then I can't complain about never getting this day off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

let us honor the great Italian explorer who discovered the new world.

Image result for christopher columbus

Was it lost?

That's like going to Disney World for the first time.

Other people have seen it, other people have been there, and other people live there.

But it's the first time you ever saw it, so you discovered it.

That's so Mickey Mouse!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Columbus is a guy who didn't know where he was going. And when he got there he didn't know where he was.

I could celebrate his ignorance and brutality if I had ever gotten this day off.

So since there's nothing to celebrate anyway, I guess then I can't complain about never getting this day off.

In other words, just a typical guy that don't ask for directions. ;)

• Haha 1

You mean Happy Irish and Italian Catholics Day. They created it to honor themselves.

Columbus' main selling point for the "New World" was that it had  many natives who could be enslaved.  Unfortunately it actually resulted in most of them dying.

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, TheCid said:

You mean Happy Irish and Italian Catholics Day. They created it to honor themselves.

Columbus' main selling point for the "New World" was that it had  many natives who could be enslaved.  Unfortunately it actually resulted in most of them dying.

Yeah, he wanted slaves to work in his gold mines. I remember reading about how he would put them into the mines and if they tried to escape he would cut their hand off. This was in Hispaniola or one of the other colonies, I believe. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

I can see why it would make Italian-Americans happy, but why would it make Irish-Americans happy?

A day set aside to honor a mass murderer. Yeah, great idea.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

okay, I admit we European white devil hon kees are real badasses.

we are the meanest baddest subjugators but in the process we conquered land, sea and air with modern science.

Image result for spanish conqueror cortez

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I can see why it would make Italian-Americans happy, but why would it make Irish-Americans happy?

Not sure, but I think it is the Catholic connection.  Could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Not sure, but I think it is the Catholic connection.  Could be wrong though.

Plus the Irish have their own candidate for supposedly reaching North America before Columbus.

Saint Brendan is said to have possibly reached North America in the sixth century AD. Likely

more folklore than history, but you never know.

I didn't know anything about Columbus except that he was commissioned to find a new route to the East Indies, discovering the New World by accident. Still pretty impressive anyway.

But then I read about his racism and tyranny as governor of Hispaniola, including his use of torture with the native populace.

From Wikipedia:

By this time, accusations of tyranny and incompetence on the part of Columbus had also reached the Court. Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand responded by removing Columbus from power and replacing him with Francisco de Bobadilla, a member of the Order of Calatrava. Bobadilla, who ruled as governor from 1500 until his death in a storm in 1502, had also been tasked by the Court with investigating the accusations of brutality made against Columbus. Arriving in Santo Domingo while Columbus was away in the explorations of his third voyage, Bobadilla was immediately met with complaints about all three Columbus brothers: Christopher, Bartolomeo, and Diego. Bobadilla reported to Spain that Columbus regularly used torture and mutilation to govern Hispaniola. The 48-page report, found in 2006 in the national archive in the Spanish city of Simancas, contains testimonies from 23 people, including both enemies and supporters of Columbus, about the treatment of colonial subjects by Columbus and his brothers during his seven-year rule.[92]

According to the report, Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report stated that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomeo on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[92] The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt; he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[93] "Columbus's government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the document, told journalists.[92] "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place.

Columbus was a man who deserves his place in the history books, but let the record show that part of his history is that he was a slaver and one cruel bastard. You might celebrate the discovery of the New World (though the Vikings beat him to it by centuries) but the man himself is more difficult to celebrate since he was, to put it mildly, so flawed as a human being.

Perhaps October 12th should be called something like New World Discovery Day.

• Thanks 1

we can't trash Columbus for 2 reasons...

in jules Verne's novel From the earth to the moon the ship's name is columbiad and in star trek episode the galileo seven one of the searching shuttlecrafts is named Columbus.

:D

Image result for the galileo seven

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, TomJH said:

Perhaps October 12th should be called something like New World Discovery Day.

I recommend we cancel it as a holiday.  We have too many already.

• Like 2