Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Bernie Sanders slams Elizabeth Warren as ‘capitalist’

38 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You know that I know what her background is since I have been following her career here in CA for over 20 years.

Yes,  she is mixed-race but sadly like Obama,  Tiger,  and the majority of others that are,  they must act like their soul is from one-race in order to appeal to that race.

This came up at my dad's funeral last Saturday:   He is the only white-boy in the family (his two wife's were Asian and his grand kids are a mix of Asian and Hispanic and only 1\4 white).

My other brother was born in Japan.   Well he said he always felt he was more Japaneses than us other siblings born in the USA.     That surprised me,  but I agreed with him that I don't define myself as white, Japanese,,, I'm just a So Cal guy.

BUT if I was running for office here in CA:   Yea,  I would really bond with the Hispanic side of my family, since that is were the votes are!

  

James, I see your point because in America phenotype is everything.

But when people ask me about another person's ethnicity, I always say the only person who knows is that particular person and you should address them directly.

And I'm sorry to hear about your dad, it's good to have you back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, hamradio said:

What a stupid comparison, the n word is a racial slur PERIOD.  Indian is not one.

I heard the BS reasoning in why some African Americans use it to take "control" of the word.  A racial slur is still that! All African Americans should totally, completely denounce it!

I don't think you have the right or the Authority or the background to tell black people what they should and should not be doing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

But when people ask me about another person's ethnicity, I always say the only person who knows is that particular person and you should address them directly.

I agree with this,  but one of my points was that often for a mixed-raced person,  their answer changes based on who they are responding to.    Another thing I have found is that based on the race of the person how I answer is questioned;  E.g. my typical response is that I'm race-neutral;  I.e. I don't wish to classify myself as belonging to any ethnic or racial 'group'.    But my old time white friends just laugh at that and say "you're as white as me" since I had just as much white 'privilege' as them  (we had the biggest house in the area, with the nicest pool and landscape,   cars,  schooling,  tutoring (e.g. those violin lessons!!),    etc...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree with this,  but one of my points was the often for a mixed-raced person,  their answer changes based on who they are responding to.    Another thing I have found is that based on the race of the person how I answer is questioned;  E.g.  my typically response is that I'm race-neutral;  I.e. I don't wish to classify myself as belonginto any ethnic or racial 'group'.    But my old time white friends just laugh at that and say "you're as white as me" since I had just as much white 'privilege' as them  (we had the biggest house in the area, with the nicest pool and landscape,   cars,  schooling,  tutoring (e.g. those violin lessons!!),    etc...

It also depends on the person's appearance. My nieces and nephew who are mixed race (half-black, half-white) don't have the option as identifying as white, as they "look black" more than they "look white", as in, if a stranger saw them for the first time, they would identify them as black, and never as white. They have cafe au lait skin color, and black, kinky hair. 

But people make all sorts of silly snap judgments based on appearance. I'm of western European ancestry, mainly Irish, English and French, yet I was asked on several occasions if I were Hispanic, since I had dark brown/black hair, dark brown eyes that often look black, and I get a dark tan when I'm in the sun, and never sunburn. I was also once asked if I was Jewish, and when I asked the person why they thought so, they said it was because I "seemed smart and wore glasses!" 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  I corrected that, thanks.    Yea,  he was 90 and passed over two weeks ago but it took a while for the local Catholic church to set things up.    It was a nice event and there was a sign with his picture that had his family nickname;   Gramps - white boy!

 

James, sorry to hear about your loss.  My condolences to you and your family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

It also depends on the person's appearance. My nieces and nephew who are mixed race (half-black, half-white) don't have the option as identifying as white, as they "look black" more than they "look white", as in, if a stranger saw them for the first time, they would identify them as black, and never as white. They have cafe au lait skin color, and black, kinky hair. 

But people make all sorts of silly snap judgments based on appearance. I'm of western European ancestry, mainly Irish, English and French, yet I was asked on several occasions if I were Hispanic, since I had dark brown/black hair, dark brown eyes that often look black, and I get a dark tan when I'm in the sun, and never sunburn. I was also once asked if I was Jewish, and when I asked the person why they thought so, they said it was because I "seemed smart and wore glasses!" 

Larry, so you "seem smart and you wear glasses." " Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Larry, so you "seem smart and you wear glasses." " Not that there's anything wrong with that."

I never had the regional Southern accent that's so thick around these parts, either. I suppose since my parents were not from around here, I tried to sound more like them than my peers, despite being raised and schooled here.

A school friend of mine met my paternal grandfather, who was born and raised in upstate New York, but who moved down here after retirement to be close to his son (my father) and us grandkids. Anyway, my friend, who is several generations a southerner, asked after meeting my grandfather, "Is he Jewish?" because he had a NY accent. When I said no, he asked "Then he's Italian?" :lol:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bernie is at best a Social Democrat. He is a Capitalist too. I don't think either of them are going to be nominated though, Bernie particularly for his age and health concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Bernie is at best a Social Democrat. He is a Capitalist too. I don't think either of them are going to be nominated though, Bernie particularly for his age and health concerns.

Of course Bernie is a capitalist.   That just makes it all the more silly and foolish that he is getting into a whose-is-bigger contest with Warren!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't think you have the right or the Authority or the background to tell black people what they should and should not be doing.

Well in THAT CASE, no one has the right or the Authority or the background to tell white people what they should and should not be doing!

Can just see the double standards post coming! :angry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one is using a narrow definition of a capitalist as the owner of a business who

hires workers and seeks profits, neither Warren or Sanders is a capitalist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

If one is using a narrow definition of a capitalist as the owner of a business who

hires workers and seeks profits, neither Warren or Sanders is a capitalist. 

Okay true but their government policies fall within the "Capitalist mode of production" which is what is usually implied by the phrase. They are also members of the Bourgeois class at the very least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Okay true but their government policies fall within the "Capitalist mode of production" which is what is usually implied by the phrase. They are also members of the Bourgeois class at the very least.

Yes, if one wanted to call people who in general support the capitalist system, then they would

both be capitalists, and that definition is likely more widespread than the narrower one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us