Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

42 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Fee and The Tubes are  on an 80s band tour now.     E.g.  like 8 bands a night each doing a 20-25 minute \ 3 - 5 song set.      The producer will headline one of the bands;    Flock of Seagulls was the leading act for many of these shows.     I wasn't aware how Fee felt about this competitor until I mentioned this!   (yea,  he isn't fond of them,  to say the least).

I have noticed throughout the years, the more professional the star, the nicer they are-they understand the VALUE of cooperation. While music/acting/art is an emotionally driven job, those who intellectualize their careers seem more successful long term. 

I wondered how bands felt being "reduced" to touring en masse. Landmark bands like the Tubes lumped in with poncey one hit wonders like Flock Of Seagulls. True fans are happy just to see the band, but 3-5 songs is a terrible tease. As an active senior though, I completely understand the band's convenience on the combination tours. It just makes me feel like I'm rocking' to the "oldies".

Rick Beato was insulted someone called out "Dad Rock". Well, cool jazz was my "Dad Rock" and that holds up way better than the manufactured simple stuff on the radio today. At best the R&R HOF keeps real rock music in the news, discussed, listened to. Face it, well crafted rock music-all it's genres- is just as historic as Glen Miller swing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I have noticed throughout the years, the more professional the star, the nicer they are-they understand the VALUE of cooperation. While music/acting/art is an emotionally driven job, those who intellectualize their careers seem more successful long term. 

I wondered how bands felt being "reduced" to touring en masse. Landmark bands like the Tubes lumped in with poncey one hit wonders like Flock Of Seagulls. True fans are happy just to see the band, but 3-5 songs is a terrible tease. As an active senior though, I completely understand the band's convenience on the combination tours. It just makes me feel like I'm rocking' to the "oldies".

Rick Beato was insulted someone called out "Dad Rock". Well, cool jazz was my "Dad Rock" and that holds up way better than the manufactured simple stuff on the radio today. At best the R&R HOF keeps real rock music in the news, discussed, listened to. Face it, well crafted rock music-all it's genres- is just as historic as Glen Miller swing.

It is difficult for me to determine how Fee really feels about these en masse tours;   yea,  he complains,,, but he takes them!   He has a lot of fun doing The Tubes concerts but that is because there is a lot of stage-artistic 'stuff' (e.g.  the super high heel shoes get-up for White Punks on Dope,,, which on the last concert his wife had to help him on stage with!).     I don't think the band gets to do these things on these en masse tours.

Note that Fee has a day job as a building engineer.   In fact this is how my wife and I meet him.   My wife leads a property management company and manages a few building owned by Fee's wife.    Fee is the engineer of these building.     So my wife meet him as part of their job duties;  Yea,   she had to tell him to address a plumbing issue!!!!      She didn't know his background until later.    

PS:  Last year the 4 of us toured Italy (my wife's home town):  One funny moment was when one of their buildings here in Los Angeles had a plumbing issue.   So here are the 4 of us sitting outside in a nice cafe in Italy,  and Fee is on the phone with people trying to address this plumbing issue,,,, and his wife,,, who owns said building is 'advising' him (yea, more like,,,,you need to get this fixed,,, now,,,,).

• Haha 1

Eh, how is Whitney Houston the most deserving? (crickets chirping) You sure can post 'em, but you never back  your post's claims, jakeem.

Back when Whitney Houston first came on the scene, the pop/AOR radio station I worked for was bombarded with Whitney Houston promo stuff. All of us were shocked by what "hard sell" they put on this one artist-the record company was trying to dictate how many times her songs were to be played per hour! 

The DJs were still educated, experienced people in the music business then and offended by this artificial push of one artist, now a commonplace practice. We all were underwhelmed by Houston's records most likely colored by resentment of being told how great she was. I still think most of her success was manufactured and the root cause of her chronic drug addiction.

Around the same time period, Madonna debuted. While there was a push to play her songs, it was more organic. Publicity in other medias got her name & face out there and people were curious to hear her. The requests to play Madonna records came from the public. While I never have liked Madonna's music, she seemed to know how to use publicity aggressively, but not quite as offensively as Whitney Houston's reps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WELL, James----

ITALY was your wife's hometown?  :o  

I have this nagging suspicion that her hometown was really more of a much smaller place.  ;)   I've never been to Italy, so I couldn't espouse on how beautiful or otherwise the country is.  

Actually, the only foreign countries I ever visited were CANADA, MEXICO and LAS VEGAS.  :D 

TIKI, what bothers me about your tale is that although Houston's music wasn't ever in my wheelhouse, she did have a good enough voice to have made it big without all the hype. And perhaps her realization that her manager and promoters didn't exhibit that much faith in her might have been one of the bigger demons that led to her later problems. 

Just a guess.

Sepiatone

On 10/19/2019 at 12:02 PM, Sepiatone said:

TIKI, what bothers me about your tale is that although Houston's music wasn't ever in my wheelhouse, she did have a good enough voice to have made it big without all the hype. And perhaps her realization that her manager and promoters didn't exhibit that much faith in her might have been one of the bigger demons that led to her later problems. 

Just a guess.

I agree with that. It was fame that killed her.

Although I hate being an armchair psychologist, I know how I'd feel if some corporation "hyped" me and dictated their expectations of me. I also have been in the company of the truly famous and am sickened by their lifestyle-not them personally, but how they have to endure non stop crazy bombardment and remain composed & positive. That alone would drive me to self medicate.

Oh how I wish Whitney Houston took her voice talent and obvious love of music and sang in small venues without corporate backing so early in her life. If Whitney sang jazz or standards and was just mildly successful I bet she could have led a normal life. 

• Thanks 1

What you posted could just as easily be applied to ELVIS PRESLEY, who's personal lifestyle too was twisted by super devoted fans who wouldn't leave him live in peace. His cronies and the Colonel(especially) didn't help much either. 

I'm reminded of that "factiod" that Gen. George Patton( by GEORGE C. SCOTT) related in the movie PATTON about how adored Roman generals, when riding their chariots through the throngs of wildly cheering citizens would have a servant behind them on the chariot who kept whispering in the general's ear, "This too will come to pass" to remind him that the glory, in the big picture, is only fleeting.  Elvis, Whitney and several others of "fame" needed and need such servants. 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

"This too will come to pass" to remind him that the glory, in the big picture, is only fleeting.  Elvis, Whitney and several others of "fame" needed and need such servants. 

Achieving fame early as a young person, is devastating to emotional development, re Michael Jackson/Liz Taylor/Judy Garland. A strong family presence & good BS meter are the support needed for balancing normalcy in those situations. It's not fun just discovering who really loves you & who is using you at 35-40 years old. Most kids learn that in their teens-20's. 

To anyone who knows:

What are some of your favorite songs by Thin Lizzy and MC5? I'm not familiar with their catalogs that well, and am looking for recommendations. 

I'm trying to settle on what will be my 3-song choices for each artist if they get inducted and I add them to my RnR HoF playlist.

Which artists lead the fan vote for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Which five of the 16 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced Tuesday will be inducted? Though those names won't be revealed until January, Pat Benatar, the Doobie Brothers and Soundgarden top the leaderboard reflecting the fan votes.

The leaderboard, which went live on the hall of fame's website at 2 p.m. EDT Thursday, is updated every few minutes. As of around 1:30 p.m. EDT that day, nearly 1 million votes had been cast. 

As of around 10 a.m. Sunday, Benatar led with 156,190, The Doobie Brothers had 140,744, Soundgarden clocked in at 133,164, Depeche Mode got 118,954 and Judas Priest tallied 114,542.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/10/17/rock-hall-2020-fan-vote-leaderboard/4006694002/

• Thanks 1

This is fun-- I just voted for Pat Benatar and The Doobie Brothers plus three other artists.

They're all fine artists, but it looks like we're getting to the end of the line....

Many moons ago when a Georgia PBS station had to fill in some time between programs

they would sometimes play this Thin Lizzy song. I have no idea why, maybe there was a

Thin Lizzy fan working at the station. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

To anyone who knows:

What are some of your favorite songs by Thin Lizzy and MC5? I'm not familiar with their catalogs that well, and am looking for recommendations. 

I'm trying to settle on what will be my 3-song choices for each artist if they get inducted and I add them to my RnR HoF playlist.

Well, I usually salmon-like go upstream against the current and find many of my favorites aren't what everybody else chooses(what DGF used to call "low hanging fruit) ...  Like, for Thin Lizzy (and I posted it somewhere here earlier)-------

And as for MC5-----

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 8:18 PM, Arsan404 said:

I don't know the rules, so, regarding Carole King, and maybe many other songwriters/musicians, can someone be inducted in two different categories?

Besides his induction with the Beatles, Ringo Starr also received induction for Music Excellence. Basically, what the Sidemen category became. He's in as an influential drummer, but not his solo output like the other three Beatles are.

Ringo has basically been inducted as a Beatle and because he was a Beatle.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Giggles Widlansky said:

Besides his induction with the Beatles, Ringo Starr also received induction for Music Excellence. Basically, what the Sidemen category became. He's in as an influential drummer, but not his solo output like the other three Beatles are.

Ringo has basically been inducted as a Beatle and because he was a Beatle.

Saying Ringo Starr is an influential drummer in rock and roll music is an understatement.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, TikiSoo said:

Eh, how is Whitney Houston the most deserving? (crickets chirping) You sure can post 'em, but you never back  your post's claims, jakeem.

Back when Whitney Houston first came on the scene, the pop/AOR radio station I worked for was bombarded with Whitney Houston promo stuff. All of us were shocked by what "hard sell" they put on this one artist-the record company was trying to dictate how many times her songs were to be played per hour! 

The DJs were still educated, experienced people in the music business then and offended by this artificial push of one artist, now a commonplace practice. We all were underwhelmed by Houston's records most likely colored by resentment of being told how great she was. I still think most of her success was manufactured and the root cause of her chronic drug addiction.

Around the same time period, Madonna debuted. While there was a push to play her songs, it was more organic. Publicity in other medias got her name & face out there and people were curious to hear her. The requests to play Madonna records came from the public. While I never have liked Madonna's music, she seemed to know how to use publicity aggressively, but not quite as offensively as Whitney Houston's reps.

Whitney indeed is/was an all-time great despite her tragic final years. Personally, I prefer her uptempo pop songs to her ballads, but her greatness cannot be denied. What a voice!

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, LawrenceA said:

To anyone who knows:

Thin Lizzy anything with John Sykes on guitar from 1981-83 I think including Life the live lp with a stunning Cold Sweat other wise 1976-77 Jailbreak as for the MC5 I had Back in the USA,Kick out the Jams and High Time,the last one is really bad, first 2 are allright but nothing special imo but many bands during that time were better than the MC5...

lizzy.png

• Like 1