Jeffry Oliver

It's A Wonderful Town

100 posts in this topic

HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING --

"The Union Carbide Building (most recently the JPMorgan Chase Tower) that stood at 270 Park Avenue in New York City from 1960 until 2019 was used in exterior shots as the headquarters for the "World-Wide Wicket Company" in the movie"

The Heiress - had to take place in NY since the film is based on the Henry James novel Washington Square ( love this beautiful film)

The Apartment - ( on my list of 10 fav films) The Majestic Theater, Columbus Circle, 59th Street, the Consolidated Office Bldg at 2 Broadway is where they all worked, the Financial District

I didn't see this thread until just now, as I was in London. I'm a native New Yorker as well and love movies set in the City. At least many of them. I like the gay 1890s films of Mae West, and Raoul Walsh's The Bowery (which will never be shown on TCM).

I'm also a particular fan of The Group, which takes place in and around NYC and has an authentic feel of NY in the 1930s (not that I was born yet.)

Many years ago I produced a series of concerts featuring songs about NYC. Everything from 19th century tunes like "On the Banks of the Bronx" and "The Staten Island Gentleman" to my favorite, "The Sidewalks of New York." Despite the fact that I must have programmed a hundred songs or more, I intentionally omitted the song that begins "Start spreading the news...." I hate that song, it's nasty and not for natives like me.  On the other hand, I love "I'll Take Manhattan" and the Comden/Green/Bernstein "New York, New York."

Another NYC movie I like very much, which feels so true to the old Bronx, is The Subject Was Roses. That apartment -- so perfect! It could have been my grandmother's. Quite different to the NY apartments in two other NYC movies I love: Auntie Mame and The Age of Innocence (1993).

MBDSUWA_EC015_H1442269021.jpg?uuid=VAAWm

Auntie-Mame-staircase-611x343.jpg

DYLCir2XUAU8vqB.jpg

• Like 3

The World of Henry Orient (1964)

theworldofhenryorient29.jpg

The Lemon Drop Kid (1951)