TomJH

Canadian Election Update

38 posts in this topic

With just two days to go to the Canadian election it would appear that the following are the three most likely possibilities:

1. A Liberal minority government

2. A Conservative minority government

3. A Liberal-NDP coalition government

The third would be historic since I don't believe there has been one on the federal level before. Minority governments and coalition governments (on a provincial level) have been productive, if the political parties involved are willing to make it work, but there will usually be another election in around two years.

I suspect the Liberals will remain in power one way or the other but, if the polls are wrong, and the Conservatives do better than expected, it would be exceedingly difficult for Trudeau to not resign. (Unlike some in other countries, he wouldn't claim a fake electoral process if he lost).

13 hours ago, TomJH said:

(Unlike some in other countries, he wouldn't claim a fake electoral process if he lost).

Yeah, Hillary's really lost it.

• Haha 1

BTW, the entire election cycle was 40 days.  I think this tends to help the elections to be not so divisive in Canadian society.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

BTW, the entire election cycle was 40 days.  I think this tends to help the elections to be not so divisive in Canadian society.

Though it was, indeed, a rather nasty election, with accusations of blackface and dual citizenship hypocrisy (Scheer) taking place. Thank goodness it was only 40 days rather than the prolonged process that takes place south of the border. Whatever political divisions exist in Canada today they are child's play compared to the States.

As of this morning, election day, three out of four polls have the Conservatives slightly ahead but, essentially, it's a statistical tie with the numbers as close as they are.

Neither the Liberals nor Conservatives seem to have inspired Canadians in this election. The resurgence of the Bloc Qubecois in Quebec (a province where the Liberals have done well in the past) seems to be a major reason why the two main parties are so close to one another in "popularity." At the same time the performance of Jagmeet Singh in the one English language leaders debate has proven to be a boon for the NDP. (Of note, if there is a minority party situation, which seems most likely, Singh has said he's willing to work with any party except the Conservatives).

Even if Trudeau comes in second tonight, as sitting Prime Minister, he will be given first option by the Governor General to see if he wants to form the next government. If he says, in essence, "I'll get back to you about that," that's when the behind the scenes negotiations with other parties begins, with Parliament not having to be re-convened until January. Should the Conservatives have a strong majority of seats over the Liberals I would think it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for Trudeau to not resign.

trudeau2019.jpg

scheer-pre-election-20181021.jpg

jagmeet_singh.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2019 at 7:52 PM, misswonderly3 said:

That's rich, coming from someone who I suspect doesn't give a frig about blackface. The most vociferous critics of Justin Trudeau's black/and brown face escapades are those who just want an excuse to criticize him and know this is something that will embarrass his supporters.

Trudeau's blackface incidents are embarrassing and regrettable, to say the least. But they don't mean he isn't fit to govern or be re-elected as prime minister. He has openly acknowledged he was thoughtless and stupid in this matter, and has sincerely apologized.

MovieMadness, I wish you'd choose another avatar. That unpleasant pic of Bogart is unfair to the actor -he really didn't look like that, 99 per cent of the time. That avatar pic makes him appear aggressive and nasty, which unfortunately is how it also makes you appear, since it's your avatar. 

How 'bout this one?

Image result for small pics humphrey bogart

Actually, I think the avatar pic fits him. That's how I picture Madness. LOL.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

scheer-pre-election-20181021.jpg

Who is this? He looks like that crying Star Wars guy that Gershwin fan posts about a lot.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Who is this? He looks like that crying Star Wars guy that Gershwin fan posts about a lot.

Conservative leader Andrew Scheer. And he might be crying himself if the Liberals form a coalition government with the NDP.

3ce3d4428e865c95f1794811a711a2ce.jpg

"Missed it by that much."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought he was the guy who worked across the street from me at The Source (formerly Radio Shack).

Liberals take losses but win enough in Quebec and Ontario to form minority government

After a tight campaign that saw the two leading parties struggle to break out of the pack, the Liberals under Justin Trudeau have held on to just enough seats in Atlantic Canada, Quebec and Ontario to secure a minority government.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-election-results-2019-cbc-leaders-1.5329485

ap19295196222419.jpg

CPAN carried the election coverage;  since the Monday Night Football game was over after 10 minutes I watched the election coverage.    

My wife was surprised but was actually happy;  she only loves real football!

Anyhow, congratulations to the libs;   now they need to govern.