TheOneandOnlyCritic2000

Why I love TCM

14 posts in this topic

I always loved TCM cause of the diversity and how it presents its self as a hub for not just classic movies, 70s, 80s, 90s,and sometimes 2000s movies. Im sorry i havent been up here so long, i been busy, but I still watch it. So tell me why you love TCM.

A lot of reasons.

I grew up from the early '50's and so when the only movies on TV were what TCM and the members here call "classic".  And also being a history "buff" of sorts, seeing how the medium has advanced over the years and the historical social norms and cultural life in days gone by is interesting to me.  Plus, many of those movies are so damned good!  And all done with acting, a camera and well written stories.  And eventual limited special effects and trick photography.  Meaning only used when absolutely necessary and/or pertinent to the story.  Plus, growing up when I did( and under the circumstances) I didn't SEE a color TV set until I bought my own when I was 24, so black & White movies don't bother me so much.  It's kinda like "going home" to me.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

A lot of reasons.

I grew up from the early '50's and so when the only movies on TV were what TCM and the members here call "classic".  And also being a history "buff" of sorts, seeing how the medium has advanced over the years and the historical social norms and cultural life in days gone by is interesting to me.  Plus, many of those movies are so damned good!  And all done with acting, a camera and well written stories.  And eventual limited special effects and trick photography.  Meaning only used when absolutely necessary and/or pertinent to the story.  Plus, growing up when I did( and under the circumstances) I didn't SEE a color TV set until I bought my own when I was 24, so black & White movies don't bother me so much.  It's kinda like "going home" to me.  ;) 

Sepiatone

It truly is cool to watch movies made back in the day and look at how movies are made now,its so amazing, and Im 19

• Like 1

I love TCM because the core personnel involved with the channel seem to be very passionate about preserving the history of cinema and celebrating film as a whole. I love that they can collaborate with people like Eddie Muller and put together interesting programming features (e.g. Noir Alley) and highlight different film topics that people may not have otherwise given a second thought. 

Watching classic films on TCM is also a form of education in the sense that you can see how things looked, learn about social mores of the time, hear slang that may have been prevalent (e.g. "tight" for drunk), and just see what it was like decades before I was born, decades before my parents were even born.  While I'm not the biggest fan of silent film, seeing something that was produced 100 years ago (or almost 100 years ago) is fascinating from a historical perspective. 

TCM is just one of the many resources I utilize to procure movies, but I am happy that it continues to exist. I remember when it first started in '94. My family had it for a couple years on expanded cable before it moved to a higher tiered package.  I used to scope out the schedule looking for Lucille Ball and Gene Kelly films. I loved the old vintage-inspired graphics they used. I loved hearing Robert Osborne's introductions. 

One of my absolute favorite things about TCM right now is the intro used for the late night movies. The music is my absolute favorite part. Sometimes I'll rewind my recording to hear the music again. Other times, I'll purposely pick movies on the DVR that were recorded late at night, just so I can see/hear the Late Night Intro. 

I love that TCM is keeping classic film alive and that niche communities of classic film devotees have developed in communities as well as online. 

It is definitely a goal of mine someday to visit both the TCM Film Festival in LA and Eddie Muller's Film Noir Festival in SF.  Neither city is really that far away from me, so it's just a matter of saving up that $$. 

I also love that TCM, like me, continues to be committed to remaining commercial free. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I enjoy the complimentary soup, salad and breadsticks.

I like to go to the early bird special between 3p-5p M-Th and pay like 1/2 the price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOneandOnlyCritic2000 said:

It truly is cool to watch movies made back in the day and look at how movies are made now,its so amazing, and Im 19

Oh, that 2000. Ben does a segment where he is no longer shocked by the age (youth) of the viewers.

I don't love TCM. I like it a lot, but more specifically, the movies. If I could get many of those movies from a single On-Demand provider, guess what I would do?

TCM should be a premium channel. All movies and no commercials, sounds just like TMC, The Movie Channel. Back in my day, TMC was one channel and we got $10/month for it. This was from my on-going career with cable TV and the year was 1984.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It is definitely a goal of mine someday to visit both the TCM Film Festival in LA and Eddie Muller's Film Noir Festival in SF.  Neither city is really that far away from me, so it's just a matter of saving up that $$. 

I have those goals as well. I'm in N. CA between Sacramento Reno, so I'm even closer than you. I often feel like I have no excuse, but as you mentioned, saving up that $...

• Like 1

I am even closer but not interested. I suppose there are obvious reasons for each event being where it is. I don't believe a film festival needs to be in Hollywood, but it is. Sounds like Eddie lives and works in San Francisco. Having his event in SF is easy for him but not everyone.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

... Sounds like Eddie lives and works in San Francisco. Having his event in SF is easy for him but not everyone.

In case you want to go to Eddie's Noir City events but aren't in the San Francisco area, he also holds them throughout the country.  According to the write-up on the Film Noir Foundation web site, Eddie introduces films on some nights, with an FNF board member and film historian handling the duties on other nights.  (Although I live in the DC area, where Eddie holds Noir City events every fall, I haven't gotten around to attending yet; we live about 60 miles from the AFI Silver Theatre, where they're held, unfortunately.)

Here are the upcoming Noir City dates:

NOIR CITY D.C.: Oct 11-24, 2019

NOIR CITY Xmas (San Francisco): Dec 18, 2019

NOIR CITY 18 (San Francisco): Jan 24-Feb 2, 2020

NOIR CITY Seattle: Feb 14-20, 2020

NOIR CITY Hollywood: Mar 5-15, 2020

NOIR CITY Austin: May 15-17, 2020

NOIR CITY Boston: Jun 12-14, 2020

NOIR CITY Chicago: dates TBD

NOIR CITY Detroit: dates TBD

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I am even closer but not interested. I suppose there are obvious reasons for each event being where it is. I don't believe a film festival needs to be in Hollywood, but it is. Sounds like Eddie lives and works in San Francisco. Having his event in SF is easy for him but not everyone.

Eddie actually tours the country with his Film Festival.  It is held in multiple locations across the country.  There is a closer one he's doing in Seattle, but I'd rather go to SF.  I am about a 4 hour drive south of Seattle. If I went up there, I'd probably turn it into a long weekend and find some other things to do too. 

I think it makes perfect sense to have a film festival in Hollywood.  The term "Hollywood" is synonymous with the movie industry.  Hollywood used to be the center of filmmaking. While Hollywood now is of questionable quality and is very much a tourist trap, there is no doubt that there is a lot of movie history there. Plus I like LA, so going to the TCM festival gives me a reason to go. Lol. 

EDIT: I see BingFan beat me to it. Serves me right for responding before reading the full thread.

• Like 4

I have loved TCM since day one! TCM is the greatest thing that has happened to anyone who has a passion for movies, especially old movies! Happy viewing all !!!