Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Ron Ely

15 posts in this topic

I feel sorry for him and the tragedy that unfolded at his home. a good actor who never got nearly the amount of credit he deserved for being the actor to play tarzan best.

I hope he'll be alright.

Image result for ron ely tarzan

what a a terrible loss for the man,

I hope he keeps in mind that millions love him as perhaps the best actor to ever play tarzan.

I hope that Ron will be alright.

to me my siblings and to millions of other TV viewers of the 60s Ron Ely was our Tarzan.

:)

Of course, on a movie board, there's not much you can say about him apart from Doc Savage (1975):

:D  That guy tossing dynamite near the beginning of that trailer reminded me of this "Guy".  ;)  :D

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  That guy tossing dynamite near the beginning of that trailer reminded me of this "Guy".  ;)  :D

Sepiatone

SCTV-'- one of my all-time favorite TV series. SNL had singular talents at different times, but in general the show never came close to this Canadian gem.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

Of course, on a movie board, there's not much you can say about him apart from Doc Savage (1975):

Ely was also in The Remarkable Mr. Pennypacker (1959), in which Hollywood's favorite father, Clifton Webb, plays a bigamist with 17 children by two wives.

5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

SCTV-'- one of my all-time favorite TV series. SNL had singular talents at different times, but in general the show never came close to this Canadian gem.

I have the SCTV DVD box sets. On one of them, there are lengthy interviews with the cast and writers. When the inevitable comparisons to SNL are brought up, one of them, I think Dave Thomas, said that it really isn't fair to compare the two, as they were made very differently. SNL writes all of its sketches in a 2 or 3 day marathon before the show night, with attempts made to tailor to them that week's host and their strengths and weaknesses. Then they rehearse them only two or three times, and before performing them live with no re-takes possible.

On the other hand, SCTV was a filmed show with no rushed deadlines, and they had a lot longer to get the writing polished and the performances just right before putting them on film/tape. 

I agree that SCTV was a funnier show sketch-for-sketch, but they had a lot of advantages to achieve such success that the SNL people didn't and still don't.

• Like 1

But sadly, Ron Ely was never on either show(he said, trying to get back on track  ;) ).

Sepiatone

Other than Tarzan, the only other thing I remember him on was as host of a game show Face The Music in the early 1980s. It only lasted a season.

7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Other than Tarzan, the only other thing I remember him on was as host of a game show Face The Music in the early 1980s. It only lasted a season.

he also hosted the Miss America Pageant twice from atlantic city.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

he also hosted the Miss America Pageant twice from atlantic city.

he was also one of Betty Anderson's dates on an ep of Father Knows Best.

:D