Sign in to follow this  
SansFin

Bill Macy has passed

18 posts in this topic

A fantastic actor. Others would have been overshadowed by Bea Arthur, but he made Walter a very engaging character who existed equally alongside Maude. It was her show, but he was more than just a supporting player. 

You really can see what he brought to the dynamic if you look at Golden Girls and see her on her own for most of those shows, without a strong man to play off each week. 

What I loved about the Walter Findlay character (and still do in reruns) is that he allowed her to be her own woman, but she was still his woman too. It was a perfect characterization from start to finish.

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.28.56 PM.jpeg

• Like 3

Must confess when I first saw this thread topic, I thought, "Oh my gosh, William H. Macy committed suicide because his wife is in jail for two weeks!" Then I remembered the other Bill Macy. Sorry to hear about this.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

A fantastic actor. Others would have been overshadowed by Bea Arthur, but he made Walter a very engaging character who existed equally alongside Maude. It was her show, but he was more than just a supporting player. 

I agree, I was a big fan of his and "Maude". He also had great chemistry with Conrad Bain, who played his best friend Arthur. There were a few episodes where Walter and Arthur are given the spotlight. These are some of the funniest episodes, I recall one show where Walter dreams that he kissed Arthur and tells him about it, then the two go on a fishing trip and uptight Arthur is constantly trying to act macho!

• Like 3

I agree with TB's assessment. As a young tween in the 70's, I liked the dynamics between Walter & Maude- a strong woman with a man secure in his own strength. He played it well, a very understated comedic style. Wow 97! I hope he had a healthy happy life.

Bill Macy always reminded me of a koala bear.

maxresdefault.jpg

koala-portrait.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

So, God DID finally get Walter for that!  ;)  

But in seriousness, Macy was an integral part of the show MAUDE, and did a fine job of making his character one that elicited both respect and sympathy. Bea Arthur's MAUDE reminded me and my siblings a lot of our Mother, who required a modicum of fortitude and deep seated love and respect to be able to handle( as did Maude) and Macy pulled it off deftly.

Rest In Peace, Bill.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Watched The Late Show (1977) last night in which Bill Macy had one of his best film roles as the not-so-trustworthy friend who brings loopy Lily Tomlin to private eye Art Carney to find her cat. Instead they get involved in a cat-and-mouse game of adultery and murder. Wonderful film, an homage to all those film noir private eyes and their dames.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Bea Arthur's MAUDE reminded me and my siblings a lot of our Mother, who required a modicum of fortitude and deep seated love and respect to be able to handle( as did Maude) and Macy pulled it off deftly.

I am a Maude personality as well, just not so tall/commanding. My partner is definitely a Walter Findley type and we have a similar dynamic. Classic characterizations fleshed out by great writers & talented actors.

Thank you Bill Macy, for sharing your talent with us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Now he will have to face a very upset God. :P

DcYHHmxVwAAevVl.jpg:large

RIP Bill Macy

Well Maude was God. So she was really saying she'd get Walter for his latest mistake. I am sure she's quite happy that he's joined her in the afterlife.

• Like 1

the eps I've watched it seems to me that walter knows pretty well that maude's problem was she took herself far too seriously and he knew exactly how to zing her at times.

one of my favorite episodes has carol's son phillip peddling trinkets like cigarette lighters and coming on like a slick businessman and maude and carol get very upset by Philip's enthusiasm but walter gives him encouragement and even buys a lighter off of him and asks Philip to get more for his buddies.

walter tells both maude and carol to leave the kid alone because he knows what he's doing.

a very funny ep.

:D

• Like 1

Maybe just an incidental note, but Macy's widow, Samantha Harper also had a stint on a Norman Lear show, appearing in about 20 episodes of Mary Hartman Mary Hartman, so I guess Norman wanted to employ both of them over the years......

• Like 1

I believe Macy was part of the original cast of Oh, Calcutta!

Just now, Hibi said:

I believe Macy was part of the original cast of Oh, Calcutta!

He was. A few months ago, he took part in an oral history article that appeared in the New York Times about the 50th anniversary of the show.

• Like 1