Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

Sid & Judy

2 posts in this topic

I didn't even know who "Sid" was until I read this article. I just don't know a lot (and often am not terribly interested) about the personal lives of the Golden Age Hollywood stars. I don't know that I really care to watch this. Just seems like more confirmation of what I've always heard about Judy's life - that she was handled as a commodity practically from birth. But I thought some of you might be interested:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-10-18/judy-garland-sid-luft-showtime-documentary

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I didn't even know who "Sid" was until I read this article. I just don't know a lot (and often am not terribly interested) about the personal lives of the Golden Age Hollywood stars. I don't know that I really care to watch this. Just seems like more confirmation of what I've always heard about Judy's life - that she was handled as a commodity practically from birth. But I thought some of you might be interested:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-10-18/judy-garland-sid-luft-showtime-documentary

You need to watch it and find out more about Sid Luft. He was a man who took good care of Judy after she had been abandoned and kicked out of Hollywood. Even after they were divorced, he still did all he could to help her whenever she called him-- and these calls were at times about someone trying to blackmail her or rip her off. He also took care of his own children by Judy and tried to help Liza after the death of her father, whenever he could.

In addition to being the father of her two youngest children, he produced A Star is Born with Warner Brothers and he is singularly responsible for helping Judy to start--promoting and backing her up --in the concert career she had after she was kicked out of Hollywood.

Sid was a tough guy and was in more than his share of scrapes, but he did what he could to take care of Judy after most everybody else had already dumped her and given up on her.

Sometime, when you're not too busy, you should read what Judy's children-- all three of them say about their father and stepfather.

By the way, David Begelman was the criminal manager who was stealing from Judy during her TV show.

(If you know anything about Hollywood, you know that he continued being a criminal and had a bad end.

The police ruled it a suicide  by gunshot .) 

It was during that time that Sid Luft was trying to inform Judy about all this, but Begleman had armed guards at CBS Television City to keep Sid out.

In fact, David Begelman may be one Hollywood's most infamous criminal stories of all time.

It probably should have a thread all its own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1